EBay madness

Marcyg

2 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

I think this guy needs to go online and look at pictures of actual scrap locomotives and hopefully see the error of his ways......

Or another one who won't be advised?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

That stuff they put in the sea to attract sharks - 'chum'!

I didn't realise that sharks liked dogfood!

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I think this is a Hornby Schools Class engine with some "interesting" weathering. Yours for only £50.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204764193516

Not Hornby.. The seller is at pains to point out that it's a static all-plastic model and not motorised, so probably a butchered GBL or possibly a Dapol.  He is at least being honest with anyone tempted to run it (or more likely strip it in the hope of finding something usable under all the flock)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I think this is a Hornby Schools Class engine with some "interesting" weathering. Yours for only £50.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204764193516

Looks like someone has been looting the SS Thistlegorm...

For some reason it appeared on my eBay page too, so I double checked here before posting it!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

For some reason it appeared on my eBay page too, so I double checked here before posting it!

Because ebay knows you like a bargain!

Mike.

• Funny 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Peterem said:

possibly a Dapol. 

GBL, the rods on the Dapol model are far too thick, not to mention it has the gargantuan number plate moulded onto the smokebox door. I’d love to know how he went about throwing the quartering off on the rear driving axle though, since the driven wheels on the GBL models are a single casting, connected by a bar hidden away in the chassis.

(Edit, he didn’t, I simply didn’t look at the photos correctly, still only just waking up for the day..!)

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Before the GBL series was issued, the occasional scrapyard loco that appeared was generally a less well regarded Triang/Hornby model*, probably running, under all the dross.  Once the GBL locos appeared, we've been submerged under a tidal wave of unbelievable scrappers.  At least not many repairable locos have been molested since!

* I bought an old tooling China made B12 as a ""scrapper" for a pittance, it looks like a neglected, heavily weathered loco just before being withdrawn.  It runs perfectly!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395347961740?

I mean I'm do not have a huge knowledge of steam locomotives, but, even I can tell its not an LNER 4-6-0......

But it has the same number of wheels, if not in the right order...

What beats me is that its described very clearly on its plinth!

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

But it has the same number of wheels, if not in the right order...

What beats me is that its described very clearly on its plinth!

But the plinth does not match the loco either, close but no exact.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/05/2024 at 10:09, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

IMG_0957.jpeg.01821e4712e2a73d9d7bce18a9524884.jpeg

Marked as dispatched last night, currently marked as “item advised”, hopefully RM will have it sent out today. Estimated delivery date is between tomorrow or next week on Wednesday.

Right, arrived not long ago, at college though so I’ll have to check it out once I get home, I think I already mentioned but this seller uses AI descriptions in his listings so I’m looking forward to seeing if these hide any flaws with the model (or am I? I’d hate if I got another zinc pest victim…) I’ll show once I get home.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Bob83a said:

But the plinth does not match the loco either, close but no exact.

But a bit closer to the mark than the ebay headline...  🤪

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I’ve got one of these GBL static models somewhere; a Schools Class. I cannot remember why I purchased it (some hare-brained conversion project maybe, possibly using the boiler?) but it only cost a fiver so no great loss. I suppose they are ideal for someone wanting to fill up a display cabinet, and are not too bothered by inaccuracies at close range, but it would come at a fraction of the cost of ‘proper’ models which are probable never run anyway!

My main reason for posting is to ask if anybody has successfully turned one into a running model; I suspect it has been done but is the end result worth the effort?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Deeps said:

My main reason for posting is to ask if anybody has successfully turned one into a running model; I suspect it has been done but is the end result worth the effort?

Why bother?  Aren't there enough Hornby or whatever RTR versions around second hand?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Deeps said:

I’ve got one of these GBL static models somewhere; a Schools Class. I cannot remember why I purchased it (some hare-brained conversion project maybe, possibly using the boiler?) but it only cost a fiver so no great loss. I suppose they are ideal for someone wanting to fill up a display cabinet, and are not too bothered by inaccuracies at close range, but it would come at a fraction of the cost of ‘proper’ models which are probable never run anyway!

The only GBL locos I've turned into running models were the Western and Class 47 models, which happened to be copies of the respective Lima models and provided an almost painless livery change for the 47 for a Hornby TTS 47.  The Western was a bit odd as the chassis of the GBL model was an exact copy of the Lima chassis.  As I remember, with just a bit of fettling, a spare Lima motor bogie and trailing bogie slotted into the chassis and bingo, a working Western.  All in all, the Western was a bit heavier than a genuine Lima (even with its chunk of mild steel) and took some careful driving as it carried some momentum with the power off....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

But they were 8F's on board!

• Funny 5

21 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

But they were 8F's on board!

Indeed they were, but such wild inaccuracies don't concern the "pro weathered" eBay sellers!

• Agree 5

8 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Because ebay knows you like a bargain!

Mike.

I suspect that eBay is using some kind of photo recognition programme that's spotted that the majority of things I buy are hanging red rusty!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395347961740?

I mean I'm do not have a huge knowledge of steam locomotives, but, even I can tell its not an LNER 4-6-0......

Here's another one with a much more optimistic price tag and six watchers. Perhaps because it's about the price of a powered model?

I seriously hope they've read the description!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204764189017?

• Like 1