EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Perhaps the most disturbing part of that listing is that the seller states that it's "Number one in an ongoing project".

Number one? I'm of the same impression as @PMW, it looks more like a Number Two...

When arsonists 'do' model railways??

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Went to Dapol’s website to check what OO locomotive kits they offer, as I was giving suggestions to a friend.

image.png.989edaf69735cbe20092548015751433.png

It better be etched brass!

And a significantly larger scale!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

How about this? It isn't ebay, it is definitely madness, I just can't make up my mind if it is a scam?

https://www.pangeosyacht.com/

Why do I think it is a scam? Check out the address on the contact us page.

Looks like something Clive Palmer (of Titanic 2 fame) dreamed up!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

How about this? It isn't ebay, it is definitely madness, I just can't make up my mind if it is a scam?

Bad name for a yacht, even one that will never physically exist.  Pangea broke up…

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Bad name for a yacht, even one that will never physically exist.  Pangea broke up…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

If you read in the project page about its construction, it says that it is 'unsinkable!' 

Alarm bells are ringing.

Also, if you zoom in on the pictures of it being built, the cranes used are made out of lego. You can see knobs you turn to make the mechanism work.

Also no mention is made about how to power the damn thing.

Merchant vessels need to be dry docked once a decade for a hull inspection, where would that happen?

I definitely think that this project is a scam.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

He was the first person I thought if as well, Kevin. 

1 hour ago, PieGuyRob said:

If you read in the project page about its construction, it says that it is 'unsinkable!' 

Alarm bells are ringing.

Also, if you zoom in on the pictures of it being built, the cranes used are made out of lego. You can see knobs you turn to make the mechanism work.

Also no mention is made about how to power the damn thing.

Merchant vessels need to be dry docked once a decade for a hull inspection, where would that happen?

I definitely think that this project is a scam.

It’s not a real project AFAICT, it’s a thing within the Fortnite gaming scenario, which is just as well.  It isn’t practical in any sense; sea movement would rapidly cause strain in the joints and welds between the ‘cell’ sections and it would make like its namesake and break up.  It would probably be unsafe to handle in the shallower waters of the continental shelves, which means it cannot actually reach any coastline and considerable areas of open sea will be barred to it, such as the North Sea, much of the Atlantic in the area of the Bahamas, and the South China, Celebes, and Timor seas along with the Gulf of Tonkin.  The number of seamounts not far below the surface in the South Pacific would make that area highy unadvisable as well.  The draft is 90m at the centre hull shape, but could easily exceed that at the outer sponsons if there is any seaway movement.  It’s claimed the vessel, if you can call it that, will be able to achieve five, count them, one, two, three, four, five knots, nowhere near enough to provide good handling steerage, so the thing will not be allowed anywhere near any other marine traffic or restricted straits.  It will be impossible to anchor, or to manoeuvre to counteract windage or currents, or to hold station in any meaningful form, so if you ever managed to work up to five knots you’d never be able to maintain a heading or keep a course, nor stop in less than a week.  

Supplying 60,000 passengers and probably another 40,000 staff, and servicing waste products to be disposed of ashore when you cannot actually go anywhere near a coastline will be phenomenally expensive and probably environmentally unacceptable.  Oh, and it’s to be built in Saudi Arabia at King Abdullah Port; apart from the security issues in that part of the world, which are probably not going to go away any time soon, how is it going to exit the Red Sea?

Power is by nine electrically driven impeller turbines of 16,800hp each, 151,200 hp in total. All this stuff is explained in the ‘project’ section of the menu; nothing about any of it suggests that anyone involved has any idea what they are doing and they expect the finance to come from crowdfunding and deposits taken for cabins.  There’s one born every minute, and my view is that anyone who parts with any cash will never see it again.  Don’t even let these people know where you live, never mind your bank details!

Thanks for the offer but my money’s staying in my pocket…

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rab said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166624214344?

Not quite sure which GW class this is supposed to represent:

The nearest that come to mind are the ex-BPGV tanks.  Which looked nothing like this but were at least examples of short-wheelbase 6-coupled side tanks owned by the GWR.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The nearest that come to mind are the ex-BPGV tanks.  Which looked nothing like this but were at least examples of short-wheelbase 6-coupled side tanks owned by the GWR.

Pedantically, although it's a 6 wheeled engine, it only seems to be 4 coupled!!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Typical Minitrix tank, all wheels geared together, no coupling rods.  "May be painted" is an understatement!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

49 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Typical Minitrix tank, all wheels geared together, no coupling rods.  "May be painted" is an understatement!

'What the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over' - except on rmweb! 😎 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

By tradition, this was the prefered chassis for the 009 GEM whitemetal Dolgoch kit - with middle wheels removed, IIR?

• Agree 1