EBay madness

Marcyg

Capture that moment in time when a scratchbuilder  realises he's  bitten off more than he can chew. This exquisite prototype was part of the cancelled Bradford Exchange "Oh dear, this isn't going well" range as No.6 "Maybe I should have made sure it ran properly before painting it"* This fully operable locomotive offers you the challenge of completing the original creator's vision, or leaving as a eye catching talking point on any lay-out

*possibly...

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

Capture that moment in time when a scratchbuilder  realises he's  bitten off more than he can chew. This exquisite prototype was part of the cancelled Bradford Exchange "Oh dear, this isn't going well" range as No.6 "Maybe I should have made sure it ran properly before painting it"* This fully operable locomotive offers you the challenge of completing the original creator's vision, or leaving as a eye catching talking point on any lay-out

*possibly...

They missed out the levitating engine driver.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

*possibly...

Definitely reminds me of something off Scrapheap Challenge...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

'Problems with the side rods and wheels' is probably just his interpretation of Lima's chassis, where the rods are not attached to the centre drivers.  It's RAF, and probably not worth attempting to rescue, but could be rescued and worked up; it does, after all, run.  A tenner seems about right; cheap way of getting into workups perhaps.

I'd tidy up generally, give it new wheels and proper coupling rods, brake and underframe detail (Bachmann spares?), proper handrails and boiler-top furniture, buffers, and vac hoses.  A Bachmann mech would improve the running considerably, but I'm not sure there's room in the smaller Johnson boiler and there is the possibility that the idler gear might intrude into the cab.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

'Problems with the side rods and wheels' is probably just his interpretation of Lima's chassis, where the rods are not attached to the centre drivers.  It's RAF, and probably not worth attempting to rescue, but could be rescued and worked up; it does, after all, run.  A tenner seems about right; cheap way of getting into workups perhaps.

I'd tidy up generally, give it new wheels and proper coupling rods, brake and underframe detail (Bachmann spares?), proper handrails and boiler-top furniture, buffers, and vac hoses.  A Bachmann mech would improve the running considerably, but I'm not sure there's room in the smaller Johnson boiler and there is the possibility that the idler gear might intrude into the cab.

An attempt at a Johnson 2F?

• Like 1

'Problems with the side rods and wheels' is probably just his interpretation of Lima's chassis, where the rods are not attached to the centre drivers.

I never understood why they did that on their cheaper steam locos, the 4F, J50, 9400, they were clearly capable of adding cranks and crank pins onto centre drivers (see their BR80, King, Crab, NSWGR C38, etc), or was it because those all needed to be attached to the wheel to provide a mount for the rods and valve gear?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I never understood Lima’s attitude to steam loco chassis in general; none of them were up to much and I regarded all as more than a bit toy-like.  This was a pity as the bodyshell toolings were pretty good, allowing for the odd misdemeanour like the moulded oversized express bunker lamps on the 4575.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I never understood Lima’s attitude to steam loco chassis in general; none of them were up to much and I regarded all as more than a bit toy-like.  This was a pity as the bodyshell toolings were pretty good, allowing for the odd misdemeanour like the moulded oversized express bunker lamps on the 4575.  

Because Lima were a toy manufacturer and they went out of their way to reuse existing mechanisms, wherever possible. In this they were probably worse than Tri-ang and their later namings. The body moulds had to be made new, so they generally made the bodies quite well, at least once they abandoned British HO.

The diesel/electric motor bogies were nearly always the same mech, with new side frames.

• Agree 2

Given the apparent "rarity" of this set I was wondering if I should snap up the other six sets currently on offer on ebay at a fraction of this price then resell them at a huge markup. I do wonder why I can get a replacement mobility scooter battery sent from China for £4 postage yet this guy wants £55 to send a train set 50 miles down the A47. Doesn't even allow pickup either.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334547630923?itmmeta=01HQE96ZCBB47GDXGKQXHARN6B&hash=item4de497bb4b:g:EKcAAOSwR4RjHP5R&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0EZDWCCZmX5KIpUGpJEYkVx46Qg1ko10IRQ4ji9B8duEXaMhBwfYl4W1B%2BDZgX5I3EJ9IPghoxTwY4l%2BbmTjaqK5d4hIqhQrFn%2Fxnx%2BIWz0Gu934RuqZlNd6q2BuD1g5XeWs1uL%2FvdRLOYqcvtut405qdOKhlNMuXOY40LTtHcRdNI0RvBmCfwSVRqfeFq82wmiiwibAj3XVAUwKhAsZ%2F7dOeIlhbXtXTtoLOPNUQxl5FEYPr7IEYBnXny8vbaNpk3OLt1kctcYmymUFAfCbCog%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR6D2m8m7Yw

• Funny 7

41 minutes ago, RFS said:

Indeed so. He's the same guy who wants £4k for this one (and other items too) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334621993835 .

He'll sell you a faux, bronze-effect ostrich head for a mere £198! 😎

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335260017453?itmmeta=01HQEGR5RGAB86DH1TR3BS6M4N&hash=item4e0f0de32d:g:FFcAAOSwCFdly-Ob

• Funny 4

24 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335260017453?itmmeta=01HQEGR5RGAB86DH1TR3BS6M4N&hash=item4e0f0de32d:g:FFcAAOSwCFdly-Ob

Now I know what my lounge has been missing all these years. Not a set of Hilda Ogden ceramic ducks but an antique bronze effect (a.k.a. plastic) ostrich head

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

40 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Or the same thing for £44.99?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175943102098?

Can't decide if it belongs in a haunted gothic mansion or a rapper's bathroom though....

• Funny 6

9 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

Either way, or at either cost, it is ghastly.

I am by no means a trend setter or in any fashionable, but that thing is hideous.

It's the kind of thing that starts turning up in your dreams and after a while, talking...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Or the same thing for £44.99?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175943102098?

Can't decide if it belongs in a haunted gothic mansion or a rapper's bathroom though....

A row of three or four as hat/coat pegs in a footballers or sochil meeja influncers hallway?

10 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

Super cool and very rare!

I think it's rare for a reason.....

8 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Cook it harder - and longer!

Cover in foil and cook in a preheated oven for 20 minutes/lb plus 30 minutes.  Remove the foil for the last 20 minutes to brown.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

If you watch some of the daytime and evening programs, the amounts being sought for what I believe are not very good, even overpriced tat is eye watering !! and people even buy it.

My daughter sells the odd art work made from used wine bottle corks, I can't believe they sell for so much!! 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

A row of three or four as hat/coat pegs in a footballers or sochil meeja influncers hallway?

Cover in foil and cook in a preheated oven for 20 minutes/lb plus 30 minutes.  Remove the foil for the last 20 minutes to brown.

Hroth, rmweb's very own Galloping Gourmet! 😎🍴🍗

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Funny 1