11 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

It probably left him labotomised!

Brains in his backside???

Edited by rab
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Barclay said:

Having built/fought with one of these myself it definitely fits into the category that Iain Rice might have described as needing to be towed out to sea and sunk by gunfire.

To start the bidding at £72, with not even any wheels/motor/gears? Wow. 

But it is "Special" and "Rare" !!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266641104125?hash=item3e150c5cfd:g:E3gAAOSwZyRlrZsv&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwMlTh3jCdsG%2BmEf%2FxxlUPlg7sXcJR0%2FKIBwefcCdUp3EHl4%2FkYzyRk7znPxuAGmIKr50TF8jc1KwLk61%2BBJJvyiAUSAzBPLOUmYhEmihA0SEFusi7qO3sdK%2BXQHdu8MoRyXW%2Fuaf0ROIKBjdqw8eSsFvzt2uAS7Bru40c0goF3PrZh%2Ft7iXejS1JRFeyzC%2BY1Wf1zgKmaon9QRdVEXDkehYLw32pVbKTR%2FAc8EwXaoFkiykKf8MxQ%2FKAQUp3cbgnhg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5z-_dWsYw

It’s only ‘Fife’ Special…

My advice would be to steer well clear.  I bought one about two years ago as a runner from my local emporium at what seemed a reasonable price, researching the loco and the model after purchase.  Despite the difficulty reported by many who had built the kit, mine was built well and ran superbly, and I rather liked it’s ‘chunkiness’ 

For aout three weeks, at which time the problems started.  Firstly, a crankpin undid itself and disappeared.  I managed to find a replacement, but the kept undoing whatever I tried, so I (very) carefully superglued it into it’s thread; that was the end of any good slow running; the loco very rapidly developed a tight spot and started throwing the lh piston rod out from the cylinders.  This proved on close inspection to be a slide-bar on that side coming away from it’s fixing position on the motion bracket, a bit of a flimsy structure, as are tge slide bars on the other side, which have distorted the other way, pinching the crosshead, which was the resson for the tight spot!

Given up for now, and looking for a suitable RTR chassis.  Possibly  Electrotren H0 TVR saddle tank cut into 0-4-0 behind the centre driver; one could perhaps file the cylinders to the characteristic AB shape, but the motor would be hanging off the back a bit!  So it’s in the round tuit box…

Edited by The Johnster
  • Friendly/supportive 5

8 minutes ago, Tofufi said:

Gostude has recently listed a few more 'optimistically' priced kit built lots of loco and coaches...

This is lovely, but...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364711192518

as is this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335238169432

They certainly are, but I wonder how many people have an EM gauge main line layout big enough to run them and have the money or requirement for them?

It only takes one I suppose 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

They certainly are, but I wonder how many people have an EM gauge main line layout big enough to run them and have the money or requirement for them?

It only takes one I suppose 

I have, as have a few others, but, this could be a bit tricky;

"EM GAUGE for 2 Rail Operation on 18.5mm wide track."

I think most of us model to 18.2mm!

Mike.

• Funny 6

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I have, as have a few others, but, this could be a bit tricky;

"EM GAUGE for 2 Rail Operation on 18.5mm wide track."

I think most of us model to 18.2mm!

Mike.

Irish EM - just a wee bit wider??

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

I know it's not ebay (perhaps seller has also listed it there and I've missed the post here, in which case sorry!), but someone on the Fb Model Railway Trading Group is offering a Red & Cream Triang Coach for £20, just needs some TLC  

image.png.e7efc745940652e17defeaf97c366e1e.png

• Funny 10

13 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

I know it's not ebay (perhaps seller has also listed it there and I've missed the post here, in which case sorry!), but someone on the Fb Model Railway Trading Group is offering a Red & Cream Triang Coach for £20, just needs some TLC  

Looks like it got 'Harry Potter'd'!

• Funny 2

17 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

Seller will probably claim it was done live online by the internet 'modelling' celeb Tarquin Otter -  'Pimp your train the Tarquin Way'!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

Looks like someone tried to recreate the Beattock train fire in June 1950.  Not in very good taste!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

Looks like we need a Facebook madness thread?

Mike.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

Amazing what one can do when bored and have a candle/lighter!

• Funny 4

14 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

Improved Triang.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Improved Triang.

Wellllll....

Its OLD Triang for sure, its got the pre-tension lock couplings that were phased out in the later 50s and open axle boxes.  Its of its time, sad someone set fire to it!

1 hour ago, SteamingWales said:

Ok, so its in good nick, but methinks the vendor is pushing their luck by a factor of £3000 or more!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It's been on these pages before - not surprising as it was first listed in August 2022! If you look at his other items, he has many more well into 4 figures, including this R1073 Venice-Simplon one -  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334621993835 .  These go at auction for no more than £200-300 these days. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Not to mention £25 for P&P.  Not all he's got at ludicrous prices either.

When I see things priced at way over their market value, I tend to suspect that the "sale" (whether or not goods actually change hands) is part of a money laundering operation.  That's provided it sells of course.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Wellllll....

Its OLD Triang for sure, its got the pre-tension lock couplings that were phased out in the later 50s and open axle boxes.  Its of its time, sad someone set fire to it!

MK2 Bs by the looks of it, they developed 4 coupler types in their time, the first type was never used by Triang, only used on the original Rovex set (was never referred to as the MK1 coupler), MK2 with two variants, both looked near identical, but the MK2 B had a counterweight, or “skid”, to assist with auto-coupling, the MK2 A didn’t. The MK3 was developed for their range of TT gauge models, and would later be adapted for OO use (if I recall correctly), becoming what we now know as the large type tension lock coupler. A fairly common carriage as, looking at the photo, it has the skids of the MK2 Bs, still a shame nonetheless.

IMG_7661.jpeg.5bc2ca15b4fd3a6334c75d38281ecb53.jpegIMG_7662.jpeg.2ca0ffac2fce16b509e341bd5c41c698.jpegIMG_7663.jpeg.7b3a739f134519dcbf2aa81b776ad009.jpeg

Photos taken from http://www.tri-ang.co.uk

Edited by Hacksworth_Sidings
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4