EBay madness

Marcyg

2 hours ago, goldfish said:

It is reassuring to know that the major traders recruit staff who are highly knowledgable in the field of model railways, or perhaps not...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134902005391?  "UNKNOWN BRAND 'O' GAUGE BR GREEN DIESEL LOCOMOTIVE *BATTERY POWERED*"

Anybody care to enlighten them?

Did they really forget to put the brand name on the bottom of the chassis?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eastglosmog said:

I don't understand the listing

Its in Boxed Condition, but the powered wheels are loose on the axle?

Was Triang's quality control then as bad as Boeing's is today?

Unlikely, they made literally millions of machine guns and ammunition magazines for our fighter aircraft, handguns, shell and mine cases and other sundry items whilst toy production was halted for the duration of WWII. They might have only made toys, but their manufacturing was pretty much state of the art back then.

Besides, has anyone ever managed to break one of their loco chassis by fair means? 🤣 

I don't know much about the Big Big locos, but I suspect either dodgy vintage plastic or foul play is the culprit.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Unlikely, they made literally millions of machine guns and ammunition magazines for our fighter aircraft, handguns, shell and mine cases and other sundry items whilst toy production was halted for the duration of WWII. They might have only made toys, but their manufacturing was pretty much state of the art back then.

Besides, has anyone ever managed to break one of their loco chassis by fair means? 🤣 

I don't know much about the Big Big locos, but I suspect either dodgy vintage plastic or foul play is the culprit.

Yes indeed.  I suspect the looseness of the wheels is an indication it is not in boxed condition, whatever they may say!

• Funny 3

19 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

Yes indeed.  I suspect the looseness of the wheels is an indication it is not in boxed condition, whatever they may say!

More likely hurled into an old tea chest along with all the other toys.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

And there's no indication about how corroded the battery box is.  Perhaps the last batteries are still installed and removing them is a task for the new owner...

Anyhow, someones taken its rehabilitation on!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And there's no indication about how corroded the battery box is.  Perhaps the last batteries are still installed and removing them is a task for the new owner...

Anyhow, someones taken its rehabilitation on!

It was quite common a few years ago to re-motor them and install pick-ups so that they took power from the track. For their time they were a pretty good model.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

It was quite common a few years ago to re-motor them and install pick-ups so that they took power from the track. For their time they were a pretty good model.

I almost bought it, luckily someone else bagged it, and saved me from another lunatic buy!  Anyway it wouldn't go with my brace of O gauge 14xx locos. Or a BLT...

Looking at the giant HD couplings on the Hymek, I wonder if that was the inspiration for Lima when they made their foray into O gauge in the early 80s?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

This is an interesting listing. I rather like the jaunty angle of the boiler and smoke box. Looks a bit excited.......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225966568311?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=fjZzYqCqS7u&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=7pDx9g0GQlm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And the walk on part of the seemingly Steptoesque vendor is also noteworthy.....

s-l1200.webp.b017d81d93b1494f1cf05613b0c8af43.webp

Rob. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

This is an interesting listing. I rather like the jaunty angle of the boiler and smoke box. Looks a bit excited.......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225966568311?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=fjZzYqCqS7u&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=7pDx9g0GQlm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

And the walk on part of the seemingly Steptoesque vendor is also noteworthy.....

s-l1200.webp.b017d81d93b1494f1cf05613b0c8af43.webp

Rob. 

'AROLD!!

Mike.

• Funny 9

On 12/12/2023 at 19:48, Hroth said:

The problem with Izal was that people used the wrong side.

The glazed side was to protect the fingers, the rougher unglazed side was to remove the Klingons...

Using it t'other way round merely resulted in sliding, slipping and smearing!

we used to call IZAL John Wayne Bog roll. Why, well it was rough, tough and takes no sh$t.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, andytrains said:

Reported this one about an hour ago as keywork spamming - clearly not kit built, not even a kit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333761658091

The response?

We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy. This determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Reported this one about an hour ago as keywork spamming - clearly not kit built, not even a kit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333761658091

The response?

We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy. This determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence.

Sounds like their Automation/AI needs to go on a retraining course!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, andytrains said:

A look at the other items on his eBay site shows that he is also seeking new heights for white metal wagon kits at £59.95 

He is also describing D&S and David Geen kits as etched with white metal detailing parts. This is clearly inaccurate and misrepresentation. The descriptions seem consistent so I expect he just does a copy and paste job on them.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, andytrains said:

Kit Built!

Does not look at all built to me.

I’ve worked it out. The kit has been assembled to show the locomotive in the middle of a major overhaul.

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

At least he hasn't resorted to the lazy man's tool, the wildly idiotic AI generated gibberish. 

He just makes up his own gibberish.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4