EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Only major gripe I have is the lack of buffers, I’m certain that whoever initially made it planned to swap them out for higher detail ones though, would love to know what the starting price for that was…

Correction £15:00... with 36 watchers... how many from here... got 7 hours to go

Edited by John Besley
Correction
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not a listing but amusement for a quiet Sunday morning, I got a message from a seemingly long disused ebay account, apparently nobody is allowed to sell anything with Network SouthEast on it, copyright violation apparently and apparently this self appointed copyright ninja threats with "We monitor all social media".

I have filed it in my Nutter folder...

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 5 C said:

Not really madness but with 9 hours to go could well be.

It's a very well made Kitmaster/Dapol Prototype Deltic that someone has motorised with a Lima DCC chassis and by he look of it, finished with Fox transfers and etched plates.

21 bids at £116.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126274703845?

It is indeed well made, going by the photos.  If its a Dapol kit, it must be a fairly early one as the one I tried to use for a similar exercise was made that flash-ridden cheap grey stuff that is distorted due to the tooling deteriorating with age.  I gave up after a while.

If I wanted a Deltic prototype, I'd grit my teeth and get either a Bachmann one or the Hornby "collectors" version.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Hroth said:

.  If its a Dapol kit, it must be a fairly early one as the one I tried to use for a similar exercise was made that flash-ridden cheap grey stuff that is distorted due to the tooling deteriorating with age.  I gave up after a while.

Does this mean the unmade Dapol Deltic kit in black plastic thats been in my projects box since 1998 is actually worth something? I bought two and built one, easily

Edited by Captain Slough
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Did the early Dapol kits use a decent quality plastic like Kitmaster and Airfix used? Either way, the tools would be pushing 40 years old or so in the late 90s, compared to the 60 or so they are now, so they’d certainly have less problems with flashing, but if they’re still of the same flimsy, warp-prone plastic that the new ones use then I wouldn’t put it much higher than the modern equivalent.

An original Rosebud Deltic would be worth something though…

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've a black plastic Dapol branded Drewery Shunter from the Northwich era.  The plastic seems to be more rigid than that used nowadays, and it seems flash free*.  I haven't built it so I can't tell how it goes together compared with more recent Dapol kits.  I think the current plastic is a compromise to reduce wear on the tooling.

* I actually bought it from our favourite Mendacious Chiseller.  It was cheaper than the current Dapol kit!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've a black plastic Dapol branded Drewery Shunter from the Northwich era.  The plastic seems to be more rigid than that used nowadays, and it seems flash free*.  I haven't built it so I can't tell how it goes together compared with more recent Dapol kits.  I think the current plastic is a compromise to reduce wear on the tooling.

* I actually bought it from our favourite Mendacious Chiseller.  It was cheaper than the current Dapol kit!

The Drewery shunter was never a Rosebud Kitmaster kit, it was introduced by Airfix who used a harder plastic than RK.

• Informative/Useful 1

46 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And about as edible as...

Definitely something to avoid, if you forget to take the plastic wrapper off, it doesn't affect the flavour or texture in any way.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

18 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Too bad that 'plastic cheese', can't be sold on eBay. Think of the descriptions!

I think that a lot of the descriptions ARE plastic cheese now...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I think that a lot of the descriptions ARE plastic cheese now...

The verbal equivalent of a Nutrimatic drinks dispenser.

Share and Enjoy!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Injection moulded cheese, as it is referred to in our 'ows!

Round our way it's called ''Best Quality Mousetrap''

Cheers, Rich

Edited by TinTracks
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1