EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I believe that engineers thought Izal to be a bit "wussy" and preferred a half-cut bastard file.

The Romans, on the other hand, used a sponge on a stick.

And the Romans didn't have cubicles or any other form of division in their toilets, having a number two was a communal affair. And the sponges were kept in a jar at the entrance and when you'd finished you put it back for the next user. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

And the Romans didn't have cubicles or any other form of division in their toilets, having a number two was a communal affair. And the sponges were kept in a jar at the entrance and when you'd finished you put it back for the next user. 

The origin of recycling!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Looks like they had toilet vandals too!

To be fair, they look a bit more "usable" than a modern public convenience would look after nearly 2000 years!

One thing we've lost is the ability to buy hot or cold snacks from the equivalent of CMOT Dibbler just outside the door. a great help if plagued by constipation...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

The idea behind Izal was that one side was absorbent, and the other was covered in a soluble covering containing San Izal disinfectant. that was partially absorbent. The intention was that the absorbent side was used for cleaning, and the other side was then used to disinfect the cleaned area. What is unclear is if the tissue was simply to be turned over, folded in half, or a second sheet used for the disinfecting operation. To my knowledge no instructions for use were ever provided by the manufacturer.

Izal was developed as a way of shipping more San Izal disinfectant, which in turn was developed to utilise the waste products from Newton Chamber's coking plant at Thorncliffe. One of those side projects that took on a life of its own.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, goldfish said:

To my knowledge no instructions for use were ever provided by the manufacturer.

I don't think I've  ever seen any instructions for use provided by Andrex either.  I suppose one could google it?

And in fairness to Izal, at least some of their product carried an instruction on every page  ... Now wash your hands.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

We seem to have gone from carp in boxes to carp in paper.

Anyone found anything ridiculous on eBay recently? 

We'll come back on topic sooner or later.... 🤪

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

And in fairness to Izal, at least some of their product carried an instruction on every page  ... Now wash your hands.

Given the fragility of the product, it was essential for Public Hygiene that you did so, not that many people even noticed the instruction before use...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

https://derails.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=5802&search=R30098

Hmm, something about the product specifics doesn't seem quite right...

Here's another.

https://derails.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=18&product_id=1103

There appears to be 9 Hornby products that have been cross contaminated with GF "branding", though the main description is correct on all of them. Derails are good to deal with, perhaps some kind soul should drop them an email pointing the error out...

Edited by Hroth
more, more!!!
  • Like 3