EBay madness

Marcyg

22 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Depends on whether the *rsehole it came from was narrow gauge or broad gauge...

When the service HSTs were first introduced on the WR back in '77 (I have no idea what happened on the ECML)_, their toilets flushed out on to the track in the traditional way by means of Newton's First Law, and in fact there was some comment that track pollution should be less as the 'product' is spread more thinly at 125mph.  The outlet pipes were, however, bent towards the centre of the coach so that it could avoid the inner axle of the bogie they were sitting (S I T T I N G, no H) over. 

The HST was a wonder of engineering and a triumph in every respect, the train that saved BR, but the wonderful engineers had overlooked that, in some circumstances and particularly in tunnels the back pressure up the forward facing outlet pipe might result in, um, getting one's own back so to speak, and the trains had not been in service for long when this unfortunately happened to a rather sweet elderly lady who didn't in any way deserve it, poor thing, on a down South Wales train in Alderton tunnel.  Oh, how we laughed...

So the pipes were all removed over the next few days and replaced with straight-downers.  That at least prevented the back-pressure problem, but meant that the discharge was on to the axle.  A deposit of the product mixed with wet toilet tissue would accrue on the axle, and dry rock hard in the 125mph winds, and it was some poor 's job to go under when the set was being cleaned with a hammer and a chisel to chip it off.  Lovely job! 

This is the quality content I come here for.

You need to write a book!

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Peterem said:

From the latest Hattons Encore sale listings:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1201999/ultima_ratio_ur002_po01_soviet_motorized_infantry_spetsnaz_pre_owned_contents_loose_in_box_good_box/stockdetail

A set of 1/72 plastic model soldiers. Maybe I'd be tempted if Hattons could only check if they were DCC compatible...

Described as "motorized" infantry. The person responsible for listing was probably just covering their backs.

I wonder if the company responsible for that effort will be producing a Ukranian Invasion set?

Edited by Hroth
Forgot that the Russians like their Z...
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

6 minutes ago, Peterem said:

From the latest Hattons Encore sale listings:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1201999/ultima_ratio_ur002_po01_soviet_motorized_infantry_spetsnaz_pre_owned_contents_loose_in_box_good_box/stockdetail

A set of 1/72 plastic model soldiers. Maybe I'd be tempted if Hattons could only check if they were DCC compatible...

Do they do the 'The Russian Retreat from Afghanistan' set??

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Do they do the 'The Russian Retreat from Afghanistan' set??

To be fair, they could also do sets for the British Army Retreat from Afghanistan. (Twice in the 19th century and the most recent one)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, goldfish said:

Izal was made from recycled newspaper collected separately by the local councils in the Sheffield area. The newspaper was kinder before it was recycled. The coating was San Izal disinfectant, at one time they gave a box of Izal away with every pallet of San izal.

Don't knock Izal, it got us a fleet of railway vans and @macgeordie a kit!

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The problem with Izal was that people used the wrong side.

The glazed side was to protect the fingers, the rougher unglazed side was to remove the Klingons...

Using it t'other way round merely resulted in sliding, slipping and smearing!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

The glazed side was to protect the fingers, the rougher unglazed side was to remove the Klingons...

You obviously read the instructions didn't you.. 😁

• Funny 3

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Yes, but that at least stopped the back of your shirt becoming un-tucked...

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

At least you can get a selection of carseys in 1/76.. the one on the end must be the Ladies as it's got a big lock device on the door, to put old pennies in 

IMG_20231212_194344.jpg

I really hope that's a rust stain...

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Wish I knew that 35 years ago!

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Way to much information ... 😲

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

It had a right side??

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

It had a right side??

I didn't say the "right" side was comfortable, just that it was more efficient at removing the surplus than the shiney side...

• Like 1