EBay madness

Marcyg

4 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I had an excellent pair of German para boots back in the day. I guess they're considered retro today?

Very hard to get hold of and no longer a bargain. Ditto the outdoor sleeping bag suits you could walk around in. Still got mine, although I don't use it anymore as Miss Riding Hood doesn't do camping...

Which I find a great relief, I've slept outside far too often, so when others are fighting to put up tents at vintage bike gathering and realising they forgot matches / teabags etc, we're heading off to a nice little hotel.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

36 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Very hard to get hold of and no longer a bargain. Ditto the outdoor sleeping bag suits you could walk around in. Still got mine, although I don't use it anymore as Miss Riding Hood doesn't do camping...

Which I find a great relief, I've slept outside far too often, so when others are fighting to put up tents at vintage bike gathering and realising they forgot matches / teabags etc, we're heading off to a nice little hotel.

My partner shares exactly the same philosophy! I've always been camping/outdoorsy, she's comfy bed and electric hairdryer!

I miss my para boots - I wore them until they finally gave up the ghost.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The last pair I had, the welting stitches went between the uppers and the leather mid sole and I couldn't find a proper cobbler that could re stitch them before bonding on another commando sole.

Same thing happened to my Georgia Engineer's boots after about fifteen years of using them for motorcycling. I don't think that you can even buy those anymore.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I remember izal in the outside toilet at my grandparents house. Two sheets to wipe and one to polish.

There's no way that stuff would have stuck to axles, although it might have been worse than leaves on the line.

You were lucky to have IZAL; in my grandparents

outside loo it was torn up sheets of newspaper,

(cue joke about the print coming off).

Thinking about it, newspaper was probably

a luxury compared to IZAL

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 minutes ago, rab said:

Brings a whole new meaning to 'the quality press'!

• Funny 2

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The last pair I had, the welting stitches went between the uppers and the leather mid sole and I couldn't find a proper cobbler that could re stitch them before bonding on another commando sole.

Same thing happened to my Georgia Engineer's boots after about fifteen years of using them for motorcycling. I don't think that you can even buy those anymore.

That's the problem these days. Fixable in the right hands, but all the right hands have either retired or shuffled off this mortal coil!

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, rab said:

Izal was made from recycled newspaper collected separately by the local councils in the Sheffield area. The newspaper was kinder before it was recycled. The coating was San Izal disinfectant, at one time they gave a box of Izal away with every pallet of San izal.

• Like 1