EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Anyway, surely for those that strive for realism a musty smelling coach is prototypical for the steam age?

Or a smelly restaurant car.   The story may be apocryphal but I recall hearing on the railway modelling circuit some years ago of someone installing in a 00 dining car a coil of thin wire which would heat when current was picked up through the wheels, and was capable of burning a tiny piece of bacon placed against it..

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Porkscratching said:

What about some authentic poo in the 4ft..?

Occasional brown streaks between the rails, particularly in a station where people didn't understand the instructions...

6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

And the tomato plants?

Growing merrily, particularly in stations...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

'Cording to the 'item specifics', they are an ore wagon...

15 hours ago, MrWolf said:

hey're also listed as being Lone Star brand, which would make them 1960s diecast toys. 

Which they aren't. 

They look to be Woodland Scenics white metal items from the 1980s, which would make them HO scale rather than OO as stated in the title.

Agreed.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

That can be arranged... 

Reminds me of the time when I was coupling up at Totnes Riverside as someone did just that ... that wasn't funny bearing in mind we'd been stopped for a good 10 minutes, so no excuse there

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

Just trying to work out how that would scale down

(well someone had to I suppose) ):

OO gauge would be less than 1 mm (40 thou) 

which makes N gauge less than 0.5 mm (20 thou)

Hardly worth bothering :)

No doubt there will now be comments about

what prototype size the calculations

should be based on.

Someone please find some new Ebay madness quickly

Edited by rab
  • Funny 7

30 minutes ago, rab said:

should be based on.

A challenge for the 3-D printing community?? 😎🚽

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, rab said:

should be based on.

An impression would be adequate, a brownish smear perhaps, there should be scraps of loo roll lurking too.  If ultra realism is required, the coaching stock would need a bit of extra "weathering", underneath and around the adjacent bogie...

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Found the level, then. 

4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Yes, rather low, be careful you don't trip over it....

So long as it stays level and doesn't suddenly lurch further downwards...

BTW which particular level should we be concerned about?

Just asking..,

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I was wondering which topic had levelled off, and mis-expressed myself...

Is that a euphemism? 

It seems that the conversation has shifted from discussing eBay sh** to cutting out the middle man and simply discussing sh**.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

31 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Is that a euphemism? 

It seems that the conversation has shifted from discussing eBay sh** to cutting out the middle man and simply discussing sh**.

But is said modelled sh** finescale, or corse scale? Asking for a friend.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Depends on whether the *rsehole it came from was narrow gauge or broad gauge...

When the service HSTs were first introduced on the WR back in '77 (I have no idea what happened on the ECML)_, their toilets flushed out on to the track in the traditional way by means of Newton's First Law, and in fact there was some comment that track pollution should be less as the 'product' is spread more thinly at 125mph.  The outlet pipes were, however, bent towards the centre of the coach so that it could avoid the inner axle of the bogie they were sitting (S I T T I N G, no H) over. 

The HST was a wonder of engineering and a triumph in every respect, the train that saved BR, but the wonderful engineers had overlooked that, in some circumstances and particularly in tunnels the back pressure up the forward facing outlet pipe might result in, um, getting one's own back so to speak, and the trains had not been in service for long when this unfortunately happened to a rather sweet elderly lady who didn't in any way deserve it, poor thing, on a down South Wales train in Alderton tunnel.  Oh, how we laughed...

So the pipes were all removed over the next few days and replaced with straight-downers.  That at least prevented the back-pressure problem, but meant that the discharge was on to the axle.  A deposit of the product mixed with wet toilet tissue would accrue on the axle, and dry rock hard in the 125mph winds, and it was some poor 's job to go under when the set was being cleaned with a hammer and a chisel to chip it off.  Lovely job! 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

When the service HSTs were first introduced on the WR back in '77 (I have no idea what happened on the ECML)_, their toilets flushed out on to the track in the traditional way by means of Newton's First Law, and in fact there was some comment that track pollution should be less as the 'product' is spread more thinly at 125mph.  The outlet pipes were, however, bent towards the centre of the coach so that it could avoid the inner axle of the bogie they were sitting (S I T T I N G, no H) over. 

The HST was a wonder of engineering and a triumph in every respect, the train that saved BR, but the wonderful engineers had overlooked that, in some circumstances and particularly in tunnels the back pressure up the forward facing outlet pipe might result in, um, getting one's own back so to speak, and the trains had not been in service for long when this unfortunately happened to a rather sweet elderly lady who didn't in any way deserve it, poor thing, on a down South Wales train in Alderton tunnel.  Oh, how we laughed...

So the pipes were all removed over the next few days and replaced with straight-downers.  That at least prevented the back-pressure problem, but meant that the discharge was on to the axle.  A deposit of the product mixed with wet toilet tissue would accrue on the axle, and dry rock hard in the 125mph winds, and it was some poor 's job to go under when the set was being cleaned with a hammer and a chisel to chip it off.  Lovely job! 

I should not have read that whilst having a drink. New keyboard please.

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Also raises all sorts of biohazard concerns for PW staff? 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

But is said modelled sh** finescale, or corse scale? Asking for a friend.

Coarse or not? Wouldn't that apply more to the toilet paper.

Who started this particular thread drift anyway?

Do we need another offering from Gostude,

or is his stuff to similar to the current discussion?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2