EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

The problem with kit built locos is that many have spent their entire life on a shelf. Perhaps that is why they don't work and need "fettling", or perhaps they never worked due to a construction fault, which is why they have spent their entire life on a shelf.

I certainly wouldn't risk £300 on it.

For 300 notes, I would expect the seller, at the very least, to tell me what was wrong with the loco? As it stands, it's like a fusion of 'lucky dip' and 'The South Sea Bubble'!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I realised that was the model you were talking about, I've no idea if any of the Farina series were sold stateside, although there was a two door, short boot Cambridge in the range for 1955. I think that the A40 Jensen Sports was sold there too. I expect the Dorset was in competition with US oddities like the Crossley? 

The Sprite was a big export winner with those who couldn't afford or didn't want a big Healey, most of those seem to have been exported too.

I could listen to your car knowledge all day, my main interest has been in GM products and Standard - Triumph, so I'd definitely learn much from you. I think that we'd better get back to overpriced rubbish, silly erroneous descriptions and the downright ridiculous though!

Standard Triumph sold the Standard 10 as the Triumph TR10 in the USA where the estate version was more popular than the saloon.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

For 300 notes, I would expect the seller, at the very least, to tell me what was wrong with the loco? As it stands, it's like a fusion of 'lucky dip' and 'The South Sea Bubble'!

It's not as though that loco is going to be worth much more than £300 when it's up and running, yet as it is, it might only provide a body and tender for a total rebuild job.

In my other hobby, I've seen far too many bikes where the owner wants top dollar for something that needs "fettling" or "just fuel and a battery."

I'm always suspicious of someone who won't spend £30 on a battery and a gallon of petrol in order to make four figures...

Long story short,

If I want top money for something, I make certain that it works!

Edited by MrWolf
Woodlice
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Gostude has poshed up his name, now he is the very pretentious sounding "GOSTUDE ANTIQUE TOY SHOP" in big shouty block capitals!

I could think of a few other more fitting names...

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Gostude has one for 400 so I'm guessing the seller clocked that listing and thinks his is a bargain. Schoolboy error of pricing your stuff on what the chissellers want, rather than what they actually sell for.

to be fair at least the Gosmeister has decent photos

Don't all bid at once

Looking ready for a return visit to the paint shop for starters. 

Or: 

This is why etch primer is a good idea.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Gostude has one for 400 so I'm guessing the seller clocked that listing and thinks his is a bargain. Schoolboy error of pricing your stuff on what the chissellers want, rather than what they actually sell for.

Don't all bid at once

'Priced to sell'??

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Gostude has poshed up his name, now he is the very pretentious sounding "GOSTUDE ANTIQUE TOY SHOP" in big shouty block capitals!

I could think of a few other more fitting names...

https://www.google.com/search?q=little+shop+of+horrors+youtube&rlz=1C1GGRV_enGB755GB757&oq=little+shop+of+horrors+youtube&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512l2j0i22i30l7.18928j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:02dd82d3,vid:GLjook1I0V4,st:0

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Don't all bid at once

SO MANY models, forever trapped behind his 'bid wall'. Could be a Grimm fairytale!? - "Rapunzel! Rapunzel! Let down your coupling!" 😎

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

Just seen this gem on his feedback.

Quite frankly, the seller represents a rare class of pro, whose passion for what he sells remains strongly at its core, along with the integrity and knowledge to accurately evaluate all that he sells according to the most principled—rather than opportunistic—of influences. Carrying some of the finest model trains, offering premier shipping, packing and speed, this business ranks among the loftiest competitors—of which there are few.

paid 1,950 pounds. All I want for Christmas is his customer address list😂

• Funny 9

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

So would these two be Gostude"s Kryptonite?

ed446407249cc87f4e300ebe02494dcf.webp.5489e3d78d44193662e99c9925bcc464.webp

Television Heaven 

Maybe, but after my era....

What if he's not allergic to cats, but dogs?

roobarb-and-custard_still.webp.38e36b70371f2d4e352e830f0f37a8e3.webp

Roobarb and Custard ought to cover both bases.

Or perhaps we could try the Spotty Dog from The Woodentops?

hqdefault.jpg.6bf28e5d43941a8000081b3b61e2b6b1.jpg

TheWoodentops.jpg.f3563bdf1fd4b3adfc216a61a67e95e6.jpg

Proper childrens entertainment!!!

Edited by Hroth
Ruddy tablet wouldn't co-operate AGAIN...
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sjcm said:

Quite frankly, the seller represents a rare class of pro, whose passion for what he sells remains strongly at its core, along with the integrity and knowledge to accurately evaluate all that he sells according to the most principled—rather than opportunistic—of influences. Carrying some of the finest model trains, offering premier shipping, packing and speed, this business ranks among the loftiest competitors—of which there are few.

Oh, so he also sells hallucinogenics too?

• Funny 11

4 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Makes 'the seller' sound like Jesus??

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Maybe, but after my era....

What if he's not allergic to cats, but dogs?

roobarb-and-custard_still.webp.38e36b70371f2d4e352e830f0f37a8e3.webp

Roobarb and Custard ought to cover both bases.

Or perhaps we could try the Spotty Dog from The Woodentops?

hqdefault.jpg.6bf28e5d43941a8000081b3b61e2b6b1.jpg

TheWoodentops.jpg.f3563bdf1fd4b3adfc216a61a67e95e6.jpg

Proper childrens entertainment!!!

We have plenty going on with my friends spotty dog.

Especially when he runs off with bits of the van you're trying to fix...

IMG_20230923_193059.jpg.0e18e1f5fe3242ab3a5de51fed38ab03.jpg

• Funny 8