EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

I do believe the madness has gone too far… So back to eBay!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386305337298

Over £200 for boxes!? (And two unbuilt Airfix 4MTs)

IF, the price was £100 the lot and IF you could be arsed . find the time to list them all individually, there would definitely be a wage in this little lot.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145439440731?hash=item21dcddbf5b:g:seEAAOSw80RlVhrw

ebay, but not for the easily shocked: maiden aunts, monks, nuns, bishops, the ghost of Mary Whitehouse, et alia!

Note: the buyer doesn't get the trailer.

"Any questions please ask but I am no expert." - Ah ha!?

Brunette?

Perhaps the curtains and carpet don't match....

Like the previous boxes, I'll pass.

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

38 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Brunette?

Perhaps the curtains and carpet don't match....

Like the previous boxes, I'll pass.

That would be what is known as an "Aeroplane Blonde", ie fitted with a black box...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

On 10/11/2023 at 14:12, paulmblythe said:

I have to wonder if some of theses sellers are some kind of tax evasion scam. maybe a vat registered ltd company buying items as stock which reduces your tax liabilty and you can then also claim the VAT back. you then put the items for sale at extortionate prices hoping they dont sell. or it could just be someone with an over inflated valuation

I can't seem to find the link back to the listing but the seller referred to here is 'dropshipping' - basically listing thousands of items at daft prices that he doesn't actually have; however the prices are sufficient to enable him to purchase the product from someone else and have it sent on to his buyer at the marked up price. Any half-aware buyer would avoid a seller like this like the plague but if he's put up no money all he needs is the odd person to fall for it now and again.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

A sure sign of a dropshipper is when you purchase a new item, can be anything, even a dish cloth and it turns up in an Amazon box which is when you discover you could have paid a few quid less for it if you had gone to Amazon directly which is what the dropshipper did.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

A sure sign of a dropshipper is when you purchase a new item, can be anything, even a dish cloth and it turns up in an Amazon box which is when you discover you could have paid a few quid less for it if you had gone to Amazon directly which is what the dropshipper did.

Online sales appears full of dodgy 'Wild West' characters!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

This is against the thread rules, I suppose, but I wonder how much it will go for?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314971098801

That is so obviously one of Ebay's AI created descriptions, the 1980's Estate Agent bull!%£# bingo sales patter and generally meaningless waffle are a dead giveaway. 

Another product of Ebay's Department of Stupid Ideas. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, andytrains said:

Think this has been PAT tested? 🤣

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235304452013

To be fair the seller does say it needs re-wiring.

A Museum piece, possibly?

"It’s extremely heavy so it’s much better to collect if you can"

I suggest collection by the local council refuse team and should never be allowed within a mile of an electrical current.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, andytrains said:

Before listing it, the vendor patted it and went flying across the room....

Even if "rewired", I wouldn't want to put the mains anywhere near it!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

There’s far too many transformers / controllers for sale on eBay - and in model shops, too - that have not been PAT tested/certified by a qualified electrician. I’m certain that is because paying for testing probably negates any profit to be had in selling them (once purchase price and tax/VAT are taken into consideration for businesses especially) but selling untested and therefore possibly faulty electrical equipment that could cause serious injury and possibly death has both moral and legal implications.

There’s several older controllers up in the loft; I think I may need to retain either the H&M “Clipper” or the “Variable Transformer” for my dad’s O gauge locos (I don’t think my far more modern GaugeMaster Combi will have the guts to power their motors) but once that is sorted, the remainder will be de-plugged and taken for recycling.

On eBay right now, a “Clipper” is up for £9.99 (“was working”) and a “Variable Transformer” for £7.50 (£6.50 p&p - well, they are heavy!) … see what I mean about not worth paying for PAT testing (except, of course, to ensure that you, the seller, don’t electrocute anyone!)

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Grammar!
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I’ve messaged a few eBay sellers regarding their controllers for sale, asking about PAT testing and certification.

One has responded, “Yes, all tested and working” which did not answer my very specific question and carefully worded question.

I’ve responded asking “PAT Certified?”

Their answer determines whether I draw the attention of trading standards to their auctions (as they have many similar items for sale)

My gut instinct from their first response is (a) they have not PAT tested/certified (b) I will get a similarly non-committed type of answer and (c) Trading Standards will be informed of unsafe selling practices AND deliberate misinformation.

Disgusted of Farnborough (or similar!)

Steve S

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2