EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

Could be wrong but the 1st edition was only printed in very small numbers because unknown new author...

The first impression was in the few 1,000s and does go for over £10,000; signed copies for over £100,000. This is the fourth, by which time it had taken off - see the cover banner advertising its prizewinning status. A friend of mine attended the same Edinburgh church as Rowling. There was an announcement at the end of the service: "Joanne has had a book published and is signing copies, if you'd like to buy one." My friend, being uninterested in children's books, passed on the offer. Quite what his mother, an avid bibliophile with a collection including Jane Austen first editions, subsequently said to him would be interesting to know!

• Informative/Useful 3

43 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The first impression was in the few 1,000s and does go for over £10,000; signed copies for over £100,000. This is the fourth, by which time it had taken off - see the cover banner advertising its prizewinning status. A friend of mine attended the same Edinburgh church as Rowling. There was an announcement at the end of the service: "Joanne has had a book published and is signing copies, if you'd like to buy one." My friend, being uninterested in children's books, passed on the offer. Quite what his mother, an avid bibliophile with a collection including Jane Austen first editions, subsequently said to him would be interesting to know!

Ah right. One of those  sort of true, sort of urban myths that appear in those " 10 priceless things you could find in a carboot sale" internet lists along with a penny black and missing Faberge eggs😉

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sjcm said:

Ah right. One of those  sort of true, sort of urban myths that appear in those " 10 priceless things you could find in a carboot sale" internet lists along with a penny black and missing Faberge eggs😉

It's true, I'm running out of space to store mine!

Mike.

• Funny 4

15 minutes ago, 5944 said:

I used to play a game on the Xbox 360 called “Train Frontier Express”, they had a loco roughly based on the Deltics in the game and those puny bogies make it feel like it’s something straight out of that game.

IMG_4530.jpeg.e795f494311bf189e849fdaaef99aa2b.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

15 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

I used to play a game on the Xbox 360 called “Train Frontier Express”, they had a loco roughly based on the Deltics in the game and those puny bogies make it feel like it’s something straight out of that game.

IMG_4530.jpeg.e795f494311bf189e849fdaaef99aa2b.jpeg

I seem to recall something called 'My Little Puny'??

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, Sjcm said:

I think the best I did on a car boot was an old , but unused Miller motorcycle headlamp switch at £5.

Identified when I got home as being original equipment for a Vincent Black Shadow / Rapide and made £95 in eBay bids.

No Fabergé eggs though...

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

Oh gosh…

Hornby SENTINEL

But not as we know it…

The “madness” is (currently) in the state of the paint finish.

However, I predict some bidding madness before too long - after all, it has a face!

Steve S

UPDATE

It has a stablemate!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Second auction item added
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Oh gosh…

Hornby SENTINEL

But not as we know it…

However, I predict some bidding madness before too long - after all, it has a face!

Steve S

UPDATE

It has a stablemate!

"Runs great" - and yet still got caught and tortured.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Oh gosh…

Hornby SENTINEL

But not as we know it…

Steve S

UPDATE

It has a stablemate!

Is that what is meant by custom repaint???

(And of course as it is listed under the 

Thomas and Friends title it is no doubt

being sold under licence)!!!

Edited by rab
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Oh gosh…

Hornby SENTINEL

But not as we know it…

Steve S

UPDATE

It has a stablemate!

Looking at the bids so far it might be worth buying them at a knock down price, removing the Thomas bits and repainting in the livery of your choice. 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Looking at the bids so far it might be worth buying them at a knock down price, removing the Thomas bits and repainting in the livery of your choice. 

But … these are THOMAS THE TANK related … surely the prices will end up in the £££s if not the ££££s?! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

Looking at that seller’s other offerings, I am suspecting that he may have used nail varnish to paint his locos …using the brush that attached to the cap.

I also suspect that the nail varnish may have been acquired second or third hand, given the general lumpiness of the paint finish.

That or he has found an old mascara brush and thought that would do just as well for the job! 

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

19 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Or for not very much more £ you could pick up an example where you needn’t have to strip off a layer of gunk first… (though this doesn’t really fit into the “madness” thread, more the “bargain” thread if purchased at the starting price)

Sentinel

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Oh gosh…

Hornby SENTINEL

But not as we know it…

Steve S

UPDATE

It has a stablemate!

One could use 3D printing to manufacture REALLY hideous, seriously ugly - dare I say nightmareish faces, to attach to locos??