EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Wow.

Just … wow!

£60??

Metcalfe Municipal Building

I mean, okay, someone is building them and selling them ready made, but does that include improving the appearance of bare cardboard edges or simply gluing them together as per kit instructions?

The rest of the items this seller has on offer are also thus priced.

Think I’ll buy the kits and take my chances building them myself!

Steve S

My own observations of the assembly quality of Metcalfe kits on layouts at exhibitions shows that the vast majority are chucked together out of the packet to the instructions, with no effort at finessing them whatsoever, immediately drawing attention to it's pedigree.

I think therefore this chap could well be on to a winner for those customers who don't possess the skills to successfully assemble their own.

Mike.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

A new member for the "Still available new for less than half the price" club of ebay traders. A look though his list of items shows many such examples.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126168599700?hash=item1d603c0c94:g:KHUAAOSws0JlQYDi

No doubt it will sell as well with it being D&S. Even if there is an updated version for less. It's D&S so must be worth a fortune...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

A new member for the "Still available new for less than half the price" club of ebay traders. A look though his list of items shows many such examples.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126168599700?hash=item1d603c0c94:g:KHUAAOSws0JlQYDi

They create the illusion of rarity, and take it for granted that most ebay punters can't be bothered to search out cheaper options? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

My own observations of the assembly quality of Metcalfe kits on layouts at exhibitions shows that the vast majority are chucked together out of the packet to the instructions, with no effort at finessing them whatsoever, immediately drawing attention to it's pedigree.

I think therefore this chap could well be on to a winner for those customers who don't possess the skills to successfully assemble their own.

Mike.

Another for the 'ready to plant' school of railway modelling?

• Like 3

But they're excellent as "quick" background fillers for modellers who are less interested in what lies beyond the railway fence but need to have a basic background for their primary interests, modelling locos, rolling stock, operations, whatever.

While it might be a good idea to run a paintbrush loaded with a suitable colour to hide the grey card at the edges, I wouldn't adversely judge Metcalfland townscapes on layouts where the presentation is not that of a fully realised world.

• Like 2

Strangely enough, shortly after posting it did occur to me that such a service would be invaluable for anyone who might struggle to assemble kits. 

But given how quickly a Metcalfe kit can be put together, I am left wondering what the “hourly rate” might be to do so?

Equivalent to that of a dentist or *gasp* a call out plumber?! 🫢😆

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

39 minutes ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Ok if you want " that" livery, it'd cost more to have a Hornby example repainted, but compared with the Hornby versions available new off the shelf for a similar price, or less if you do a little looking about, its not worth it!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Plain liveries are fairly easy to do yourself, though lining is another thing altogether as are two- or three-colour liveries when you are into a world of masking and bleed prevention.  Another significant difference of a kit model to the Hornby RTR will the  gear ratio; one of the advantages of kit-built mechs is that the builder can choose a worm/cog ratio and will often go for a higher final drive figure for slower and smoother performance in a shunting engine.  This may make this kit worth the extra money being asked, assuming it is all meshed correctly and running properly.

This sort of thing is where a actual, not cyber, dealer who will test it for you is invaluable.  I suppose this could be done online by video, but...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Plain liveries are fairly easy to do yourself, though lining is another thing altogether as are two- or three-colour liveries when you are into a world of masking and bleed prevention.  Another significant difference of a kit model to the Hornby RTR will the  gear ratio; one of the advantages of kit-built mechs is that the builder can choose a worm/cog ratio and will often go for a higher final drive figure for slower and smoother performance in a shunting engine.  This may make this kit worth the extra money being asked, assuming it is all meshed correctly and running properly.

This sort of thing is where a actual, not cyber, dealer who will test it for you is invaluable.  I suppose this could be done online by video, but...

So much is taken on trust when buying on ebay? 

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

assuming it is all meshed correctly and running properly.

A big ask, you're entirely in the hands of the vendor, and you'll only find out when you've paid up and have the model in your hands.  You may be lucky and find it is well made with suitable gear ratios and runs well. OR you'll have the hassle of returning it and getting your money back...

• RMweb Gold

Well, all commercial activity is based on trust from the buyer and fear of retribution when it is betrayed from the seller.  Mostly, it works, and has done since trading began in earnest about 5Kya, but I have to comment that I feel much more secure buying eBay RTR/RTP than kits, however well they appear to be made and finished; there are too many variables.  Part of the problem from my pov is that there are a fair number of kit-built locos out there (search '00 kit built locomotives) which are not overly expensive and look well finished, but are products of the 60s/70s school of kit design with no brake or rodding detail below the running plates, or Will's bodyline kits on Triang or HD chassis; there is little to commend these over even 1980s RTR.  Better quality kitbuilds have appropriate prices, and as eBay sourcing is a bit of a gamble at best, these are often a bit salty for me to be willing to chance it! 

I'm not good enough at spotting trouble to protect myself reliably, as per the case of the Kingdon 'Fife Special' Barclay I bought.  Nicely made, lovely smoooth runner for about two months when the slide bars disintegrated, having been epoxied in by the builder.  Epoxy, in my experience, works well for years but will eventually turn into biscuit and crumble.  In the round tuit box.  To be fair this wasn't eBay.

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Well, all commercial activity is based on trust from the buyer and fear of retribution when it is betrayed from the seller.  Mostly, it works, and has done since trading began in earnest about 5Kya, but I have to comment that I feel much more secure buying eBay RTR/RTP than kits, however well they appear to be made and finished; there are too many variables.  Part of the problem from my pov is that there are a fair number of kit-built locos out there (search '00 kit built locomotives) which are not overly expensive and look well finished, but are products of the 60s/70s school of kit design with no brake or rodding detail below the running plates, or Will's bodyline kits on Triang or HD chassis; there is little to commend these over even 1980s RTR.  Better quality kitbuilds have appropriate prices, and as eBay sourcing is a bit of a gamble at best, these are often a bit salty for me to be willing to chance it! 

I'm not good enough at spotting trouble to protect myself reliably, as per the case of the Kingdon 'Fife Special' Barclay I bought.  Nicely made, lovely smoooth runner for about two months when the slide bars disintegrated, having been epoxied in by the builder.  Epoxy, in my experience, works well for years but will eventually turn into biscuit and crumble.  In the round tuit box.  To be fair this wasn't eBay.

The eternal question: when is 'kit-built' not kit-built? Does the seller understand what 'kit-built' means?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/11/2023 at 10:59, SteveyDee68 said:

I think the decimal point is out by one place for this listing…

LIMA LMS GUV van

That, or P K Rail Model Railway is yet another mendacious chiseller? 

Maybe check out the identical item on sale from pwd100 before you make your mind up…

LIMA LMS GUV van

Steve S

But your links should read LIMA LMS GUV van

and

LIMA British Railways GUV van

Because they aren't identical!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

But your links should read LIMA LMS GUV van

and

LIMA British Railways GUV van

Because they aren't identical!

Whoops! 😄

Never realised the LMS version was so rare/sought after!

Original post corrected/tweaked appropriately! 😉

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Strangely enough, shortly after posting it did occur to me that such a service would be invaluable for anyone who might struggle to assemble kits. 

But given how quickly a Metcalfe kit can be put together, I am left wondering what the “hourly rate” might be to do so?

Presuming he's buying them new they're 18 pounds, so the labour is 42 pounds. No idea how long it would take you to build one but even if you're an expert I would assume a bit of time and patience is required? Unless you can knock them out in a hour it's a lot of work for not much return.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

22 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

What I did find interesting was that they seem to have a similar assembly cost for Metcalfe kits and Kingsway models, despite one taking rather longer to build (due to not being pre-cut!).

The Kingsway models are lovely kits, but not being pre-cut they do need more skill and time to build well 🙂

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

43 minutes ago, Tofufi said:

What I did find interesting was that they seem to have a similar assembly cost for Metcalfe kits and Kingsway models, despite one taking rather longer to build (due to not being pre-cut!).

The Kingsway models are lovely kits, but not being pre-cut they do need more skill and time to build well 🙂

Ready-built model railway kit buildings seems to becoming the 'next big thing' on ebay? Perhaps the 'scrapyard' bubble has finally burst??

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium