EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PieGuyRob said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256273894009?

Not so much the price, but, the box and description don't match the model.

The vendor says...

it has only been removed from its box for photos and testing

Perhaps they have a stack of similar locos that have "only been removed from its box for photos and testing" and they're all mixed up.  After all, one blue loco with yellow ends is much like another....  🤪

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

"only been out of the box for photos" means i bought this myself recently and am turning it for a profit.

Both equally accurate technically but one demonstrates spin slightly better.

It also means that it has been removed from its packaging and has been handled.

It is now second hand.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

It also means that it has been removed from its packaging and has been handled.

It is now second hand.

oh don't start me on that! I noticed the other day that the wording of "new other" basically condones calling used new.

One of my pet hates is if people get things wrong often enough it seems to become accepted!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 3

22 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

oh don't start me on that! I noticed the other day that the wording of "new other" basically condones calling used new.

One of my pet hates is if people get things wrong often enough it seems to become accepted!

Ah yes a favourite of kit sellers. I bought a couple recently one of a kit thats been out of production for at least 15 years with tarnished etches. Sold as New other. another of more recent vintage but with a couple of parts missing. In both cases i knew exactly what i was getting and bid accordingly. I could see some not realising they are in effect second hand and being disapointed.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/10/2023 at 18:04, SteveyDee68 said:

What is it about Hornby and The Flying Moneypit Scotsman?

I mean, okay, it’s an example of an O gauge tinplate clockwork model, but it takes some brass on the part of Hornby to pass of an Atlantic as being the same as a Pacific!

IMG_4550.jpeg.cb97e9814d7d3153cb9c70b3da2bb7a0.jpeg

Or perhaps trainspotters couldn’t count back in the day?*

HOURS OF FUN!!

* Tongue firmly planted in cheek, I hasten to add!

Mind you, Bachmann's effort is worse. Why yes, that is an orange Mainline Rebuilt Scot.  That blurb bears about as much relationship to reality as a party political broadcast.image.png.aaddd51e491f32544b8793bdab18f0f8.pngimage.png.bc844aec2b6211b06eb722fa12e6f70f.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Never heard of the “Flying Scot” train.  Googling it brings up a 1957 British film with that title but no actual train.   

Interesting that the set is labelled as being HO scale but contains an ex Mainline OO gauge loco plus coaches.  Perhaps this I why it is for a “discriminating” rather than a “discerning” collector.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Never heard of the “Flying Scot” train.  Googling it brings up a 1957 British film with that title but no actual train.   

Interesting that the set is labelled as being HO scale but contains an ex Mainline OO gauge loco plus coaches.  Perhaps this I why it is for a “discriminating” rather than a “discerning” collector.

Cheers

Darius

It's an authentic replica. Of something.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, papagolfjuliet said:

I should add that Bachmann also produced an AUTHENTIC REPLICA of the Royal Scot.

image.png.5d6e5cdb93908ef2d3647a9f207e10e4.pngimage.png.af34767cfc3883fbfa25d74a0502291f.png

That “Royal Coach” is a blinder - with its first and second class compartments.  Presumably the courtiers travel in the latter…

Produced for the US market perchance?

Cheers

Darius

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, papagolfjuliet said:

So proud of the orange Scot were Bachmann that they put it on the cover of their 1986 catalogue. 'Quality.'image.png.ac9f199c4898708e9ca8ac802f27f503.png

Some dodgy stuff there, but they ought to reissue that dinky little Era1 trainset!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Some dodgy stuff there, but they ought to reissue that dinky little Era1 trainset!

The Norris 4-2-0 (as also used on the Birmingham and Bristol Railway) was available with a different chimney and bogie coaches as 'The Lafayette' for many years and for all I know still is, although the version with the four wheel coaches was not available for very long. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, papagolfjuliet said:

I should add that Bachmann also produced an AUTHENTIC REPLICA of the Royal Scot.

image.png.5d6e5cdb93908ef2d3647a9f207e10e4.pngimage.png.af34767cfc3883fbfa25d74a0502291f.png

In BLUE????????????? Presumably the Americans think that it's appropriate for Royal blood?

The Midland/LMS stopped putting numbers on the tender in 1927. The 'Coronation Scot' did run in blue, but only 1937-39.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know if this has come up before but for the last few weeks I have been plagued by the reappearance on screen of long hidden purchases going back several years. Not every purchase I have made but not clear what the selection criteria for the list is. I have played around with the onscreen listing options for bought items, and everything initially disappears if i select the 'waiting your feedback' option. But the items reappear next time I visit the site! Has anyone else had this and managed to fix it?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

I don't know if this has come up before but for the last few weeks I have been plagued by the reappearance on screen of long hidden purchases going back several years. Not every purchase I have made but not clear what the selection criteria for the list is. I have played around with the onscreen listing options for bought items, and everything initially disappears if i select the 'waiting your feedback' option. But the items reappear next time I visit the site! Has anyone else had this and managed to fix it?

I don't know if it's anything to do with the same but when you click on an individual item the box on the right giving details of the seller is no longer there. You have to put the item on a watch list to see the name of the seller and then click on the sellers name to get feedback ratings.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sjcm said:

I had it once last week which I presumed was a bug  but it didn't come back. Probably due to them changing loads of stuff on there at the moment and it messing with people's browsers.

It's a new layout that E-bay are trying out. There is a small box marked 'Feedback' on the top right of the page where you can give an opinion on the new layout. I indicated that I was not satisfied and would prefer the old layout.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It's a new layout that E-bay are trying out. There is a small box marked 'Feedback' on the top right of the page where you can give an opinion on the new layout. I indicated that I was not satisfied and would prefer the old layout.

And like all new software designs, there will be so much invested in them that your feedback will be largely ignored. There certainly will be no reversion to the old design.

There might be a few tweaks to keep the unhappy subdued....

• Agree 5