EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium

Am I missing something here?

Bachmann Sealion Wagon

It’s “brand new” and in Departmental Olive finish, whereas a second hand version can be had from Footplate of Kidderminster at a very slightly less eye-boggling £69.95

EarlofLindsay has it available brand new for a seemingly more reasonable* price of £51.25

Perhaps the Hornby version isn’t quite as refined as the Bachmann (no idea) but Footplate of Kidderminster will sell you a pair (albeit in EWS livery) for £59.95, and a set of three for £89.95 (approx £29.98 each, which is a LOT cheaper than £75 (plus over £8 postage!) for a single version from Bachmann.

I appreciate that coaches are selling upwards of £40 and that these wagons have a lot more added detail than a relatively “simple” coach, but £50+ for a wagon?

Mendacious Chiseling?

* It appears reasonable when compared to others’ pricing!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Am I missing something here?

Bachmann Sealion Wagon

It’s “brand new” and in Departmental Olive finish, whereas a second hand version can be had from Footplate of Kidderminster at a very slightly less eye-boggling £69.95

EarlofLindsay has it available brand new for a seemingly more reasonable* price of £51.25

Perhaps the Hornby version isn’t quite as refined as the Bachmann (no idea) but Footplate of Kidderminster will sell you a pair (albeit in EWS livery) for £59.95, and a set of three for £89.95 (approx £29.98 each, which is a LOT cheaper than £75 (plus over £8 postage!) for a single version from Bachmann.

I appreciate that coaches are selling upwards of £40 and that these wagons have a lot more added detail than a relatively “simple” coach, but £50+ for a wagon?

Mendacious Chiseling?

* It appears reasonable when compared to others’ pricing!

There seems to be a degree of national madness when it comes to bogie hopper wagons, witness Hattons ICI hoppers, and also with 4 wheel hoppers, witness Hornby Trouts and sometimes Heljan dogfishes.

The worlds gone crazy!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

There seems to be a degree of national madness when it comes to bogie hopper wagons, witness Hattons ICI hoppers, and also with 4 wheel hoppers, witness Hornby Trouts and sometimes Heljan dogfishes.

The worlds gone crazy!

Mike.

Sounds fishy to me.... 🤔🤪

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Surely that description can be classed as “Extracting the Urine”?

Doesn’t do the business’s reputation any favours either, does it?

Steve S

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Doesn’t do the business’s reputation any favours either, does it?

When it comes to Hattons' secondhand department, I think that's a ship that's sailed, hit the iceberg been salvaged, repaired, and sailed again...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

But its a BARGAIN!!!

There are cheaper bargain locos available...

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1135816/kitbuilt_kb2230_po_class_33_33026_in_br_blue_lima_locomotive_modified_to_p4_repainted_renumbered_/stockdetail

I think thats the cheapest running bargain loco they have at present, scroll through their bargains list, its on page 38, with 144 items per page.  They must have bought a container-load of "mixed modelling items"...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

But its a BARGAIN!!!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1135816/kitbuilt_kb2230_po_class_33_33026_in_br_blue_lima_locomotive_modified_to_p4_repainted_renumbered_/stockdetail

I think thats the cheapest running bargain loco they have at present, scroll through their bargains list, its on page 38, with 144 items per page.  They must have bought a container-load of "mixed modelling items"...

But that box - stunning.

KB2230-PO_20230110161004_4172545_Qty1_bo

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

21 hours ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

I can’t remember when I saw this listing, nor how much it went for, defo before 2023.

IMG_3952.png.e057e5bc3f84d42a9bb6e6301fef101e.png

HOW do you cause that much damage to a model!? This isn’t even to do with ludicrous prices, the sheer condition of the model alone isn’t even mad, it’s outright insane!

'Please Sir, the dog ate my loco!'

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Funny 4

14 hours ago, Bucoops said:

He's really lost the plot... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256253836234

"Professional Grader Me"

"These are highly sought after models in their own right and hard to find, advertised in used condition by some railway suppliers at over £40 each ... so to have unique ones for not much more can only be considered an absolute bargain"

25% more isn't "not much more" and when you look at selling history they go for £15 an up. It's the same graffiti transfers, just arranged differently as well 😅 not to mention the wagons are completely mint underneath the transfers - very much unlike the example prototype photos they have kindly included to highlight the difference...

"... it's gone for good." Well, there you go!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

But its a BARGAIN!!!

Listed and described as "kit built " .

Since when was modified RTR kit built?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Listed and described as "kit built " .

Since when was modified RTR kit built?

Perhaps Gostude is being employed as a listing consultant?  The bargains listing is certainly picking up bad ebay habits. It'll be L@@K,RARE!!! next...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Missing bogies/pony trucks make me think that something died of MazakRot.  I never feel that I want to welcome the surviving parts into my arms....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2