EBay madness

Marcyg

7 minutes ago, TinTracks said:

Yes .Agreed. The headboard had me scratching my head. I remembered this interesting article on what used to be called the SEMGO site.

https://sremg.org.uk/misc/nferry.shtml#:~:text=The Night Ferry photographed passing,class4-4-0.

Top picture shows an L1 double heading a D1 on the Night Ferry pre WW2. I've a stash of those old  Jouef  CIWL carriages and also a few old Triang L1s so I'm now getting one of my barmy ideas of a ''poor mans'' Night Ferry'' for a winter project. (There's plenty of room underneath the Triang L1 for a Marklin 3rd rail pickup skate!)

(😂Clearly the difference in scale between Triang and Jouef doesn't bother me too much🤣

Time for my tablets I think.

Regards . Rich

Go on, build it, I think that everyone else on here will agree.*

*Said the man who has a dozen modified Tri-ang clerestories on the go...

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Didn’t know whether to put this in the madness or good buy thread!

the bottom seemed to fall out of the eBay market tonight and some people got themselves some right bargains, look at my recently viewed items below, some seriously cheap locos there! 

1BB68759-A7D3-4270-AED7-C4CDA8B431AE.jpeg.0e1cd92d697d3bd4cf797446e63a2fcf.jpeg

i was watching the 60 but forgot to bid before I set off home from work and was driving when it finished, gutted! 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, TinTracks said:

Its a Lima Gronk with a pint of dirty paint brush washings wiped over it...

Seventy quid plus postage is criminally steep for one of those.

• Agree 7

2 hours ago, Sjcm said:

With the Hornby Turbomotive coming out for a gazillion pounds, it may be time to dust off that 1970's attempt you found in a car boot sale and make a killing. Actually, that gives me an idea... *stares at pile of Triang princess bodies*

Inaccurate, but 200 pounds cheaper!

There was an article in Railway Modeller yonks ago, describing such a conversion, mainly involving bits of balsa and some black paint. Ideal for ebay!

• Agree 4

51 minutes ago, Hroth said:

There was an article in Railway Modeller yonks ago, describing such a conversion, mainly involving bits of balsa and some black paint. Ideal for ebay!

And, if all else fails, plant some 'nose-hairs' and 'scrapyard' it!

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

55 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Was looking into Ringfield 9F chassis units after some conversation in the Kitmaster thread regarding the motorisation of a Revell big boyIMG_2731.jpeg.f97a6047c18cca561f9b23d754bf2f73.jpegIMG_2732.jpeg.3368ad03311cb87ce6b74d2b34a1cc17.jpegIMG_2733.jpeg.dc8f2a3273877d57f59b1d9a2d9ef664.jpegIMG_2734.jpeg.59b6d8fec0624d46c6e64947a108c49a.jpegIMG_2735.jpeg.95edb63588eb24fe932a946ef402cef4.jpeg

Anywhere between £30 and £50 for unmotorised chassis units!?

Similar problem here. I've been after a pair of wheels without traction tyres for a Hornby County 4-4-0, so I thought about buying a dead chassis from one of the old tender drive models. £35+ post. I didn't pay that much for a loco drive model that's a complete runner. I notice that these old chassis sit on eBay for months and months.

Chancers hoping that someone is desperate for the spares.

I'll buy a rough loco and use the rest of the bits for some oddball project.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Given what I’m actually intending on using the chassis’s for, it’d actually work out better to buy an entire 9F, can pick them up between £45 and £55 from eBay and Hattons, make a bit of money back off the motor units, hell, I didn’t pay anything more than £55 for my first 9F last year!

The seller behind the listing in the bottom pic of my post is one I see pop up no matter what I search up, £70 for Triang smoker chassis units, £40 for a basic 0-6-0 chassis, bodies can go from £15 upwards, etc, how he makes his money I have no idea…

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hacksworth_Sidings said:

Given what I’m actually intending on using the chassis’s for, it’d actually work out better to buy an entire 9F, can pick them up between £45 and £55 from eBay and Hattons, make a bit of money back off the motor units, hell, I didn’t pay anything more than £55 for my first 9F last year!

The seller behind the listing in the bottom pic of my post is one I see pop up no matter what I search up, £70 for Triang smoker chassis units, £40 for a basic 0-6-0 chassis, bodies can go from £15 upwards, etc, how he makes his money I have no idea…

MrMike. He has featured on this page in the past. It appears he buys whole loco's and units, purely to break up, and, sell the individual parts on ebay. In some cases, it is cheaper to go to Bachmann's spares website.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

48 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

MrMike. He has featured on this page in the past. It appears he buys whole loco's and units, purely to break up, and, sell the individual parts on ebay. In some cases, it is cheaper to go to Bachmann's spares website.

I often find that it's cheaper to pick up junk  locos at exhibitions and toy fairs. £40 for a late model Bachmann pannier, £15 for Airfix / Hornby Dean Goods' or Mainline 2251, £25 for Bachmann version. Tri-ang and tender drive era Hornby anything tends to be around £15.  I suspect that it's cheap because punters at exhibitions are more likely after the latest offerings and at toy fairs they're after mint and boxed.

I suspect that most of these breakers but at those same places or the car boot sales.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yep. I was after a part which you can get it easily enough but as a tightwad there was no way I was paying 7 pounds for a tiny 5 gram part - plenty do but I have an aversion to being ripped off. Bought two non runners for 13 pounds inc!using postage so got my part. One of the locos had a perfect body, and a quick repair and i'd get 7 quid on a bad day or more likely a tenner. The other loco that I took the part from has a trashed body, but a working chassis with a good motor is probably a fiver  bottom line  so I get my part for a pound worse case scenario. I mean that is an  extreme case because I'm only trying to save a couple a quid (would have paid a 4/5 pounds for the part) and a lot of people couldn't be @rsed with the hassle  of looking around but you could quite easily pick up a trashed 9f in a job lot of parts for 30-40 pounds and sell-on the rest

Edited by Sjcm
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/09/2023 at 22:28, Hroth said:

A "Night Ferry" headboard, eh?

Pullman cars were heavy, Wagon Lits cars were heavier - I don't see an L1 being able to move the "Night Ferry" at more than an asthmatic jog! If it had been a Schools class, it might have been different...

Anyhow, the "Night Ferry" was probably the preserve of the Class 71 electrics by the time any L1 got lined black with a late crest.

Just found this official BR postcard featuring a lined black L1 bearing the round Night ferry headboard, so the model is accurate.

Titled Train Night Ferry 31789

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1