EBay madness

Marcyg

12 hours ago, Hroth said:

TT3 to be precise! 🤪

Too much work as far as I'm concerned, but if I were to enter the fray the bodies would promptly dunked in a suitable paintstripper, followed perhaps by a repaint and new transfers...

... unless the price paid resulted in said models being locked away in a safe deposit box, lodged in the deepest, darkest vault in Merrie England!

Edited by Paul H Vigor
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 28/09/2023 at 10:37, Hroth said:
On 28/09/2023 at 10:31, Sjcm said:

Oof! Somewhere on the deepweb, the TT Collectors Association are handing over your details to an Albanian hitman😎

I'd have thought that the TTCA would be looking for the vendor of the metallic-painted monstrosities!

http://www.tri-angtt.org.uk/sett48.htm

Greetings all. This set is metal plated not painted. Only 300 made for the Kay's Catalogue Company just before one christmas in the early 1960s. I've  a vague memory of an article years ago explaining how the plastic moulded bodies were dunked into an electroless copper solution, then electroplated with acid copper, then finally flash plated with precious metal. Being a short run of only 300 sets I suppose it ranks high in rarity value. I spent a fair old few years manufacturing unpopulated 'bare' printed circuit boards and wonder as to the integity of the plating after all these years. The bidding has a way to go yet but I wouldn't be at all surprised at north of £400. Just as Sjcm says the popcorn is out at Tintracks Towers😉

Cheers All. Rich

PS somebody has tipped off the vendor what it is as they've added a footnote to the listing 

Edited by TinTracks
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, TinTracks said:

http://www.tri-angtt.org.uk/sett48.htm

Greetings all. This set is metal plated not painted. Only 300 made for the Kay's Catalogue Company just before one christmas in the early 1960s. I've  a vague memory of an article years ago explaining how the plastic moulded bodies were dunked into an electroless copper solution, then electroplated with acid copper, then finally flash plated with precious metal. Being a short run of only 300 sets I suppose it ranks high in rarity value. I spent a fair old few years manufacturing unpopulated 'bare' printed circuit boards and wonder as to the integity of the plating after all these years. The bidding has a way to go yet but I wouldn't be at all surprised at north of £400. Just as Sjcm says the popcorn is out at Tintracks Towers😉

Cheers All. Rich

PS somebody has tipped off the vendor what it is as they've added a footnote to the listing 

Sort of makes sense.

But as I'm not an "Ohhhhh  Shiny!" kind of person....

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

But as I'm not an "Ohhhhh  Shiny!" kind of person....

No, nor me. If some saw my collection of old 3 rail rusty, tatty, junk they'd collapse into fits of laughter. (or perhaps suggest that I be certified)😂

Cheers, Rich

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/09/2023 at 00:04, phil_sutters said:

I think that he is just trying to attract attention to his sales pages, we have all looked now haven't we? But he does seem to have a thing about writing implements. There are several other sets of pens and pencils with similar prices, but other types of item seem much nearer to reality pricewise.

I dont think it is that mate, I think he is trying to take the mickey, 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, hornbyandbf3fan said:

For me the most annoying part of the listing is the fact that he is one of the many people in the modern world who feel the need to quantify the already quantified.

Mike.

• Agree 4

17 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

For me the most annoying part of the listing is the fact that he is one of the many people in the modern world who feel the need to quantify the already quantified.

Mike.

That and the implication that if you don't buy it you're not a "serious collector" 😆

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, hornbyandbf3fan said:

Seems that bidders aren't exactly flocking - yet??

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Seems that EVERYTHING he sells is declared "VERY RARE!!!!"? - Must say, I do prefer mine "WELL DONE!!!!"!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

15 minutes ago, TinTracks said:

Deffo domestic dust!

• Agree 5

58 minutes ago, TinTracks said:

A "Night Ferry" headboard, eh?

Pullman cars were heavy, Wagon Lits cars were heavier - I don't see an L1 being able to move the "Night Ferry" at more than an asthmatic jog! If it had been a Schools class, it might have been different...

Anyhow, the "Night Ferry" was probably the preserve of the Class 71 electrics by the time any L1 got lined black with a late crest.

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_L1_class

The locomotives were used on express trains on the South Eastern main lines from London to Dover, Ramsgate and Hastings. They remained on these duties until the mid-1930s when they were gradually replaced on the heavier trains by the older "King Arthur" and newer "Schools" classes. They continued to be used on the former London Chatham and Dover Railway main line to Dover and Ramsgate until after the Second World War and the nationalisation of British Railways in 1948. The transfer of Bulleid "Light Pacifics" to these services in the early 1950s made the class largely redundant. Some were briefly transferred to Eastleigh and to replace worn out locomotives on cross-country services, but most spent their careers between London and the Kent coast. Withdrawals began in 1959, and the final example (31786) was withdrawn in February 1962. None survived to be preserved.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TinTracks said:

Good luck with that, although there was a brief spike in L1 values, because a couple went for silly money, not so long ago a friend of mine put up two unboxed but very clean runners with a starting bid of £15 apiece and got no takers.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Good luck with that, although there was a brief spike in L1 values, because a couple went for silly money, not so long ago a friend of mine put up two unboxed but very clean runners with a starting bid of £15 apiece and got no takers.

I guess, formerly, vintage L1 chassis were required to motorise various GEM 4-4-0 loco kits?

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

A "Night Ferry" headboard, eh?

Yes .Agreed. The headboard had me scratching my head. I remembered this interesting article on what used to be called the SEMGO site.

https://sremg.org.uk/misc/nferry.shtml#:~:text=The Night Ferry photographed passing,class4-4-0.

Top picture shows an L1 double heading a D1 on the Night Ferry pre WW2. I've a stash of those old  Jouef  CIWL carriages and also a few old Triang L1s so I'm now getting one of my barmy ideas of a ''poor mans'' Night Ferry'' for a winter project. (There's plenty of room underneath the Triang L1 for a Marklin 3rd rail pickup skate!)

(😂Clearly the difference in scale between Triang and Jouef doesn't bother me too much🤣

Time for my tablets I think.

Regards . Rich

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium