EBay madness

Marcyg

22 minutes ago, RFS said:

Another serously optimistic seller - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325808545741.

"For parts or not working" it says. Well it's clearly not working, but most of the parts are broken too!  But £100?

Is it the latest ULEZ compliant version with no exhaust? 

You might take a risk on being able to repair it at half the price.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

Not a model railway item, but I have seen such things happen with model railway items. Take a look at pictures 6 and 7.

If you pick up a collector's item cheap, (actually only a few quid under what they fetch.) then decide to try trebling your money on eBay, don't forget to peel off the previous sellers price sticker...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295505760605?

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Not a model railway item, but I have seen such things happen with model railway items. Take a look at pictures 6 and 7.

If you pick up a collector's item cheap, (actually only a few quid under what they fetch.) then decide to try trebling your money on eBay, don't forget to peel off the previous sellers price sticker...

Perhaps the price sticker hides a hideous paint chip? I got caught by this stunt some years ago at a collectors fair. Made me very wary of adhesive price stickers on models - they can also damage/remove fragile paintwork.

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Agree 5

12 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Perhaps the price sticker hides a hideous paint chip? I got caught by this stunt some years ago at a collectors fair. Made me very wary of adhesive price stickers on models - they can also damage/remove fragile paintwork.

That's why I'm always suspicious of old toys with a price sticker on the roof or bonnet. 

A lot of the professional dealers have a tiny luggage tag with the string around an axle.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's why I'm always suspicious of old toys with a price sticker on the roof or bonnet. 

A lot of the professional dealers have a tiny luggage tag with the string around an axle.

I don't peel price stickers off newly purchased magazines either for that reason - I hate them, but I've pulled a few brand new ones off (in theory when they are new you can do so, the longer they have been on, the worse your chances get IMO). Worse having a sticker size tear than a sticker!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I think it's rather irrelevant if the old price sticker is still on, fact is what the current price is what you need to pay - or not!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I think it's rather irrelevant if the old price sticker is still on, fact is what the current price is what you need to pay - or not!

That's fine with say an old model or kit or whatever that is still in it's box with a shop price sticker on the box from 1965 or whatever.

It's a bit careless, / cheeky / arrogant to leave on a price sticker actually on the item from whatever antique fair / car boot / church bazaar you snapped it up from. 

You're almost certain to put off potential buyers.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

I don't peel price stickers off newly purchased magazines either for that reason - I hate them, but I've pulled a few brand new ones off (in theory when they are new you can do so, the longer they have been on, the worse your chances get IMO). Worse having a sticker size tear than a sticker!

Soak any sticker in "Ronsonol" or other cigarette lighter petrol, £1 a tin, wait, and peel gently off, or use a scalpel to tease off. Evaporates clear too. Put a bit on a sheet of tissue to wipe any excess off. Works on sellotape, brown, packing tape and gaffer tape as well. You know, when they wrap it round a train set box, right across the artwork!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Is your autocorrect playing up again?

I don't know about the Collett 0-6-0, but the GF 94xx Pannier is likely to be a poor runner at best...

No he calls them horny in the description but we've all been there. I often get OO goblin instead of gauge for some reason

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1