EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

110% Hornby 110 origins, but possibly worth it for the Tenshodo spud. 

I see no sign of a Tenshodo despite the seller’s description.  Looks like the original Hornby bogies and wheel sets to me.

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

He claimed a Tenshodo power bogie in the descripiton.  I noticed that both bogies looked the same and checked the description because I suspected there might not be a power bogie at all, since you'd expect power and non-powered bogies to look different.  I couldn't see any trace of drive gears.  All very mysterious, and off-putting, with the photos not exposed to show the bogies clearly.  Indubitably a Hornby 110 body and not correct for a Derby single unit 'bubble car'.  We'll never know now unless he puts it back up for sale.

I like to browse such sellers' 'other items', and there is usually something to laugh at!  Mostly 80s and earlier stuff, but some oddities like a Triang electric steeple cab in unlined green 1945-7 GWR initials livery, and a LOTI with nicely fully lined out compo/brake clerestories to go with, and a Wrenn 'Jinty', by which he means an R1, with a pair of Ratio Dean 4-wheelers in S&DJR blue livery.  The Deans are quite nicely finished.  His prices are not unreasonable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darius43 said:

I see no sign of a Tenshodo despite the seller’s description.  Looks like the original Hornby bogies and wheel sets to me.

Difficult to tell on my phone but the wheel treads look wide enough to be Tri-ang Hornby, they look either worn or the old knurled type.

Edited by MrWolf

According to the October edition of that 'other' magazine - RM, the internet railway sensation Francis Bourgeois called in at Peco. I am awaiting reports that our very own internet sensation, MrWolf, visited an even more illustrious model railway venue! Who wants Francis when you can have the rmweb Wolfman!? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

According to the October edition of that 'other' magazine - RM, the internet railway sensation Francis Bourgeois called in at Peco.

Hoping for some free "product"?

Thats what most Internet Influencers seem to want....

Unlike us rmweb influencers, who just wish for less madness!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 4

1 hour ago, Sjcm said:

Push along I think.  don't think I've seen one of these on eBay before. Can't find any sold anyway.

They also did a "Sir Robert" 2.4.2. in green or red, a stubby, little tank engine and a Deltic style diesel as well. Friction, floor toys.

Edited by 33C
Added detail.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

According to the October edition of that 'other' magazine - RM, the internet railway sensation Francis Bourgeois called in at Peco. I am awaiting reports that our very own internet sensation, MrWolf, visited an even more illustrious model railway venue! Who wants Francis when you can have the rmweb Wolfman!? 

Not going to happen I'm afraid. Neither of us have anything to do with social media. Miss R quit Facebook five years ago as she got a couple of rather nasty stalkers  on top of a lot of unwanted attention. There were other accusations levelled against myself and a couple of friends when said stalkers decided to play victim because they'd been warned off by alleged mercenaries / hells angels, possibly even former art students....

Oh the drama!

As for "influencers" I'm taking a leaf out of Kenny Everett's book. We should round them up, put them in a field, and bomb the bas****s!!

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Definitely not MTK

Looks more like a cut and shut from a Hornby 110 DMU, finished in the rare GWR green speed whisker livery.

Cheers

Darius

I had a look at his other items and the prices are very reasonable, there's some good old school models if that's your thing.

I would be interested in the 4F and 2271 if I didn't have several already.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I had a look at his other items and the prices are very reasonable, there's some good old school models if that's your thing.

I would be interested in the 4F and 2271 if I didn't have several already.

I have been corresponding with the seller via eBay messaging and he is quite genuinely willing to make the situation right.  He has removed the listing and will be relisting it with a more accurate description.  

He has checked the model and it is fitted with a Hornby motor bogie.  He has also track-tested the model and it runs in both directions.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 2

That's a very decent thing to do and it often brings surprising results.

I have also contacted sellers about listings and 99 times out of 100, they thank you for your help, alter the listing and it sells.

Recently I contacted a seller about some motorcycle engine valves he was selling, politely pointing out a few inaccuracies and that a pair of valves he was selling wasn't actually a pair and that I would be interested in one of the pair for my machine if he was willing to split the lot.

He altered his listings, items started selling and he insisted on sending me the valve I wanted free of charge as a thank you for my help.

It doesn't get much better than that.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's a very decent thing to do and it often brings surprising results.

I have also contacted sellers about listings and 99 times out of 100, they thank you for your help, alter the listing and it sells.

Recently I contacted a seller about some motorcycle engine valves he was selling, politely pointing out a few inaccuracies and that a pair of valves he was selling wasn't actually a pair and that I would be interested in one of the pair for my machine if he was willing to split the lot.

He altered his listings, items started selling and he insisted on sending me the valve I wanted free of charge as a thank you for my help.

It doesn't get much better than that.

Now thats PROPER influencing!

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

27 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Now thats PROPER influencing!

It used to be known as doing the decent thing, as in helping others who then think of you as a good person. My highest hope was he would say thanks and would I be interested in the valve for £15 or so? 

What bugs me about influencers is that they offer to promote your business or whatever, which costs them nothing, in exchange for goods which cost a lot and they expect to receive a yes answer, with the veiled threat of giving you a negative image otherwise.

Nasty, talentless, low rent blaggers.

An extension of those orange faced women (who look like a bag of hammers in daylight) that go out with a just a fiver on a Friday night, fully expecting to never pay for a drink.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

What bugs me about influencers is that they offer to promote your business or whatever, which costs them nothing, in exchange for goods which cost a lot and they expect to receive a yes answer, with the veiled threat of giving you a negative image otherwise.

this practice has produced some great responses from company owners.

My favourite is one the 'influencer' can't legitimately complain about. Paraphrasing as I can't remember the exact wording or numbers - it was in an article a while back, in relation to a hotel IIRC, and it went something like this:

"Hi <influencer>, thanks for getting in touch. It sounds like you're a great match for our influencer program. Following your stay, we'll give you a unique discount code to distribute to your followers. For every 10 times the code is redeemed, we'll give you 10% off your next stay - so just 100 uses means you'll get a free stay!"

The funniest responses tend to be from companies that themselves have more followers than the so-called influencer...

Funnily enough most of the genuine youtubers I follow seem to have it the other way round - companies approaching them with offers (and often turning many such companies down for not being relevant to their viewers)

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

There's definitely a good number of genuine YouTubers etc who offer their own products and services and more importantly, share genuine advice because they actually care about what they're doing. Any rewards on top of their actual work are just that.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

So somebody paid over £10 for some D&S instructions - and left positive feedback!

and also bought the kit minus the instructions for thirty quid and also left positive feedback.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186057933965

https://www.ebay.co.uk/fdbk/feedback_profile/randylabinski?user_context=BUYER

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

So somebody paid over £10 for some D&S instructions - and left positive feedback!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186042859304

2 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

and also bought the kit minus the instructions for thirty quid and also left positive feedback.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186057933965

https://www.ebay.co.uk/fdbk/feedback_profile/randylabinski?user_context=BUYER

Is it cynical of me to suspect some shill bidding/generating your own feedback?

He calls himself randy too. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 1