EBay madness

Marcyg

I remember the sultana's in the curry lark. An interesting concept. Going back to my school dinners (mid-70's)the only thing that made a lasting impression was a pudding called rainbow cake which was the highlight of any week, and I've never come across since sadly.Seems to be some sort of LGBT thing now😉 Custard was only used on puddings that tasted worse than the custard. Oh and the tiny class bottles of milk.

Edited by Sjcm
Predictive text stupidity
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Excuse me waiter, there's a hair in my curry.

No sir, that's rabbit.

During my first year at secondary school the head was called Mr Levitt. One day he just dissappeared, no mention of it, just didn't come in again.

The next week a new breaded chicken thing appeared on the dinner menu, and I jokingly called it a Chicken McLevitt.

That went viral round the school with everyone calling them that - before "going viral" was a thing. Oops.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

34 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

I remember the sultana's in the curry lark. An interesting concept. Going back to my school dinners (mid-70's)the only thing that made a lasting impression was a pudding called rainbow cake which was the highlight of any week, and I've never come across since sadly.Seems to be some sort of LGBT thing now😉 Custard was only used on puddings that tasted worse than the custard. Oh and the tiny class bottles of milk.

I suspect the sultanas were an attempt to make the 'dish' appear more exotic - otherworldly?

Tepid/warm school milk put me off drinking milk on its own for decades!

• Agree 6

2 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I suspect the sultanas were an attempt to make the 'dish' appear more exotic - otherworldly?

Probably. This was back in the mid'70s where Vesta curries were all the rage and Blue Nun was the height of sophistication

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

In winter, you were between a rock and a hard place.  The milk was either frozen to some degree and was so solid that it had popped the foil cap off the bottle or had mini icebergs bobbing around inside, OR had been stacked in a corridor against the radiators...

In summer, it was yoghurt, and that was before the general public knew about the stuff*...

9 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

...back in the mid'70s where Vesta curries were all the rage and Blue Nun was the height of sophistication

Back in the days when the general meal was meat and two veg followed by something like prunes and custard and a cup of tea, or if you were lucky, some tinned salmon on Sundays.  So a Vesta dried meal washed down with a glass of Blue Nun was sophisticated!

*  I remember the first yog adverts, cool and sophisticated people dressed in white, in white rooms, eating this white stuff from little pots.  "It'll never catch on" we said...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Sjcm said:

Probably. This was back in the mid'70s where Vesta curries were all the rage and Blue Nun was the height of sophistication

When the first Chinese Takeaway opened in our part of South-West Hampshire, I recall being surprised that the food was NOTHING like a Vesta Chow Mein!

We used to love watching mum fry the crispy noodles! There was something about the way they used to writhe in the frying pan?

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

46 minutes ago, Hroth said:

In winter, you were between a rock and a hard place.  The milk was either frozen to some degree and was so solid that it had popped the foil cap off the bottle or had mini icebergs bobbing around inside, OR had been stacked in a corridor against the radiators...

In summer, it was yoghurt, and that was before the general public knew about the stuff*...

Back in the days when the general meal was meat and two veg followed by something like prunes and custard and a cup of tea, or if you were lucky, some tinned salmon on Sundays.  So a Vesta dried meal washed down with a glass of Blue Nun was sophisticated!

*  I remember the first yog adverts, cool and sophisticated people dressed in white, in white rooms, eating this white stuff from little pots.  "It'll never catch on" we said...

"In summer, it was yoghurt, ..." - sends a shiver down my spine!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You also forgot to mention that the sparrows often got to it first!

Unless the caretaker had beaten them to it and had dumped the crates in the corridor....

Must admit, it was the slowest/weakest that got the bottles (1/3 of a pint...) that had been pre-punctured for your straw!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

My lasting memory of school milk in the infants was that whatever the weather it was nothing like that from our fridge or the farm across the road.

You also forgot to mention that the sparrows often got to it first!

Hey, there's a whole section of eBay didicated to collectors of the vintage school milk bottles!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4432023.m570.l2632&_nkw=school+milk+bottle&_sacat=29797

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

We used to love watching mum fry the crispy noodles! There was something about the way they used to writhe in the frying pan?

Poundland stocked some Vesta meals a few years back and it was an interesting experience to revisit. They were enough like the originals to make me suspect they had discovered some old stock in a warehouse  - a suspicion heightened when they later disappeared from the shelves. Brought to mind a couple of student hacks from the 1970s 1) For a bigger meal you could add extra rice to the paella and a bit more water, and there was enough yellow goop to cover any excess 2) The Chow Mein crispy noodles were exactly the same as the simmerable noodles in the other pack, so if you wanted more (as did everyone) you just grabbed some and added them to the frying pan. Students today and their organic quinoa fritters, eh?

Peter, Sidcup

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

On 11/09/2023 at 08:24, Sjcm said:

Our old friend bpsworks has taken a break from hacking up Blue Pullmans to launch his new product range. Triang Network Rail Class 08's.

glow in the dark shunter

Seems it was quite a big tin of yellow paint.

Have to say the box it comes in is quite nice.  Might bid on it just for that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256215454499?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=jFNwAufNRVO&sssrc=0&ssuid=jFNwAufNRVO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Hey, there's a whole section of eBay didicated to collectors of the vintage school milk bottles!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4432023.m570.l2632&_nkw=school+milk+bottle&_sacat=29797

We must have been posh at my primary school as our milk was served in glasses. They didn't hold 1/3 pint and the excess was used to make custard. The milk came to school in a small churn straight from the farm, TT tested. So that's why few of us needed the BCG jab at secondary school (which did have 1/3 pt bottles.)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, darkstar said:

Seems it was quite a big tin of yellow paint.

Have to say the box it comes in is quite nice.  Might bid on it just for that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256215454499?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=jFNwAufNRVO&sssrc=0&ssuid=jFNwAufNRVO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Seems to have been bitten by the same spider wot got @newbryford

Mike.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1