EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its official, I'm stunned!

Neither its box nor its colour resemble BR Green.  Even Hornby make a better attempt at their worst...

But be fair, the loco and box do match! I wonder if the loco was painted that awful colour, just to match a box that was on hand?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Just keep piling the yellow on until it covers, or looks like school custard...

School Custard came in two varieties, thin and runny or thick and blobby.  You'd probably have to use the thicker variety and apply it with a palette knife!

At school, as well as the custard, which was applied indiscriminately to both Spotted Dick and Jam Roly Poly, we had stand alone desserts, the brown "River Mud" and a pink concoction with jelly-like blobs called "Frogspawn".  I don't think children are offered such delights nowadays...

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I don't think children are offered such delights nowadays...

They eat burgers and chips and other crap we weren't allowed. I still don't really understand how society improves, although of course it's perfectly possible that it doesn't.

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Ah, school dinners. The jelly particularly stands out to me - coloured water on the top of the glass it had been poured in, Goodyear branded at the bottom.

Never ask the flavour, you just got laughed at.

Weird green currys with saltanas!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Ooh luxury.

Or did they have a rat problem?

The whole point of old-style "curry" was that the shreds of meat were unidentifiable, the sultanas were watery and gritty and there were odd blocks of parboiled swede to give the victim something to chew.

Luxury?

Definitely!

Edited by Hroth
A missing "a", believe it or not!
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

7 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Kernow GWR Class 121 described as faulty sold for £107 today, £7 more than a perfect brand new one from Kernow themselves. 🤪

Started at a very low / fair price, so buyers to blame. 

Roy

There are some funny people about!

I spent Saturday at the Swansea Model Railway Exhibition. An excellent day's entertainment! I am pleased to report my dealings with traders face-to-face were delightfully free from the usual grasping traits described on 'eBay Madness'. Prices were fair and negotiable, you could examine what you were buying and there were bargain boxes to rummage through. Breath of fresh air!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

School Custard came in two varieties, thin and runny or thick and blobby.  You'd probably have to use the thicker variety and apply it with a palette knife!

Your skool seems to have been rather more generous than ours in the choice of "custard".  Ours always seemed to be water (probably diluted) which had trace elements of yellow colouring mixed in it.

I don't think children are offered such delights nowadays...

It probably infringes their human rights.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Your skool seems to have been rather more generous than ours in the choice of "custard".  Ours always seemed to be water (probably diluted) which had trace elements of yellow colouring mixed in it.

Adrian

TBH the custard probably thinned out towards the end of term as they scraped the bottom of the custard powder* tins!

* "catering" pack, definitely not Birds!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Probably not unlike army custard powder, which it was widely believed also doubled up as tropical issue foot powder...

1970s-british-army-catering-corps-ireland-custard-jelly-powder-2-5k_11345_pic4_size3.jpg.f7b613514f237f138d30508d6d529bcd.jpg

Code: Pretty Damn 'Orrible (Not to be used before 1871)

The Americans called it Agent Orange....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

The whole point of old-style "curry" was that the shreds of meat were unidentifiable, the sultanas were watery and gritty and there were odd blocks of parboiled swede to give the victim something to chew.

Luxury?

Definitely!

As long as the meat wasn't rabbit.