EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

Ok... 120 quid for two coaches... n gauge coaches. With the same running number?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204455280309?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=yOKo-Wc5Q-a&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=v6cpl3kbqqi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

This must be a mis-placed decimal yes? 

This buyer is probably trying to capitalise while they can on those people that don’t know that another run of these coaches should be arriving in the coming weeks. As the new stock will be on sale for about three-quarters of the price this seller is offering, it doesn’t appear to be an excessive mark-up to me. But the new stock will have different running numbers which clearly makes them more valuable in some eyes. 🤔

Edited by The Pilotman
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Surprised to see the old Hornby Thomas stuff lunacy is still going.  Have they not heard of the much better Bachmann versions now fairly widely available?

In the world of "collectors", anything is possible, fidelity, ha!, just give me the money.

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Sjcm said:

I'm not really up on Thomas lore, and what loco's appeared in the books, but didn't they have their own custom liveries and numbers? Or was this a blatant cash grab by Hornby?

Not really a cash grab, Hornby was a licensed franchise holder for Thomas but gave it up as being too expensive to maintain in the face of developments in the CGI based stories.

When in production, the Hornby Thomas range was priced a little higher than you'd expect to pay for an equivalent Railroad level model, which the basically are, superceded tooling in Thomas liveries. Some were tender drive at that, though towards the end of the franchise, loco drive toolings began to appear.

Personally, I don't like the Bachmann equivalents. They follow the current CGI locos, but they look like cartoon locos. Its ok for the target age group, but there's no follow through for transition to more "informed" railway modelling. At least the Hornby ones followed the appearances in the books a bit better, and so looked like real locos.

Some locos, like the flying moneypit, made guest appearances in the books. Moneypit appeared in one story in two tender form, causing jealousy which was solved by giving the jealous one* a train of sludge tenders to haul!

* Books not to hand so can'check up...

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

When in production, the Hornby Thomas range was priced a little higher than you'd expect to pay for an equivalent Railroad level model, which the basically are, superceded tooling in Thomas liveries. Some were tender drive at that, though towards the end of the franchise, loco drive toolings began to appear.

Personally, I don't like the Bachmann equivalents. They follow the current CGI locos, but they look like cartoon locos. Its ok for the target age group, but there's no follow through for transition to more "informed" railway modelling. At least the Hornby ones followed the appearances in the books a bit better, and so looked like real locos.

Some locos, like the flying moneypit, made guest appearances in the books. Moneypit appeared in one story in two tender form, causing jealousy which was solved by giving the jealous one* a train of sludge tenders to haul!

* Books not to hand so can'check up...

Ah so it was an actual character. A Google shows it as flying Scotsman in pictures numbered as 4472 so it's accurate I guess. I seem to remember a Hymek in the books but pretty sure it didn't have br crests like the Hornby ones.

8 hours ago, RFS said:

Sadly it seems there are lunatics who will pay these prices, like this one.

And this one is even sillier - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145220302860

Presumably will not be bought for kids to play with!

It is a form of insanity? Historically we've had the 'South Sea Bubble' and the 'Tulip Mania'. Now we have the 'Thomas Addiction'!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

I understand that colour reproduction can be misleading on electronic devices, but even so I am pretty sure that the shade of “BR green” on this model also very much fits the “neverwazza” description applied generally to the loco; perhaps a more informative description might be “This class of loco was never seen in BR green in reality, and this item replicates that in model form”. 

But £200 for a Triang Hornby loco?!

😉

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

24 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its official, I'm stunned!

Neither its box nor its colour resemble BR Green.  Even Hornby make a better attempt at their worst...

The only way that thing could be stunning is if someone hit you over the head with it.

Much effort has obviously gone into the paint job, but it resembles more garden shed green than British Railways green.

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sjcm said:

Our old friend bpsworks has taken a break from hacking up Blue Pullmans to launch his new product range. Triang Network Rail Class 08's.

glow in the dark shunter

Wot? No white primer? I can still see the green through the topcoat. 

Just keep piling the yellow on until it covers, or looks like school custard...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Wot? No white primer? I can still see the green through the topcoat. 

Just keep piling the yellow on until it covers, or looks like school custard...

The lumps were the best bit - not really!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1