EBay madness

Marcyg

16 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325644589473?hash=item4bd1ee19a1:g:j78AAOSwR1ZjWEJb

At first sight I thought I saw a German soldier going to the toilet! 😲 😎 🚽

I remember those figures and I think what has happened here is that Klaus has gone to London and someone nicked his motorbike before he could even get off it.

• Funny 3

21 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It's actually worth slightly more than the second person is prepared to pay.

That's the whole point of auctions.

Buy-it-nows aren't auctions, they are classified adverts. :)

Also, if an auction only has one bidder, then it's worth whatever the start price (or reserve) is!

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

25 minutes ago, Tofufi said:

Buy-it-nows aren't auctions, they are classified adverts. :)

Also, if an auction only has one bidder, then it's worth whatever the start price (or reserve) is!

Even then, you might find that bidder one has only entered a casual bid, just to see if they get it for the opening bid, or they think that's all it's worth.

I just sold an old pair of chrome silencers, opening bid £29, sold for £30. I'm not complaining, it would have been a shame to chuck them away and they'd probably have only added 20 pence to my scrap pile.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

Or the shots of water companies pumping effluent into the sea on the news today....

Back in 1998 they were losing an average 100,000 gallons of fresh water per week due to leaks. Did they invest in the infrastructure? Or did they pay bonuses and share dividends? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, what would you have done, and be honest, because if you were in a position to authorise investment in the infrastructure, you had the opportunity to pay yourself bonuses and share in dividends?  And it's only a job, which you are doing for money, not for the love of it.  Bear in mind that your having achieved such a position within the organisation suggests that you are self-interested and competitive by nature, and one of your core beliefs is that you deserve the bonuses and dividends as a reward to which you are entitled.

Probably, what you do is what they did, all of them to a man, ask the treasury for money for infrastructure investment when the stock market showed no great willingness to fund something that would not show a return for decades to come despite having participated joyously in the privatisation process, but ringfence their bonuses and dividends in case it was denied.  It was, predictably, denied, so those who took bonuses and dividends at that time will no doubt claim that they highlighted the problems but the treasury wouldn't give them the money, so the treasury is to blame.  They have all retired long before the pipes collapse.  Like it says in the song, 'rolls in, rolls in, my god how the money rolls in, rolls in'.

I know who I blame.  Clue; it isn't the treasury!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Well, what would you have done, and be honest, because if you were in a position to authorise investment in the infrastructure, you had the opportunity to pay yourself bonuses and share in dividends?  And it's only a job, which you are doing for money, not for the love of it.  Bear in mind that your having achieved such a position within the organisation suggests that you are self-interested and competitive by nature, and one of your core beliefs is that you deserve the bonuses and dividends as a reward to which you are entitled.

Probably, what you do is what they did, all of them to a man, ask the treasury for money for infrastructure investment when the stock market showed no great willingness to fund something that would not show a return for decades to come despite having participated joyously in the privatisation process, but ringfence their bonuses and dividends in case it was denied.  It was, predictably, denied, so those who took bonuses and dividends at that time will no doubt claim that they highlighted the problems but the treasury wouldn't give them the money, so the treasury is to blame.  They have all retired long before the pipes collapse.  Like it says in the song, 'rolls in, rolls in, my god how the money rolls in, rolls in'.

Sounds like Mr G??

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Those of us with actual practical skills had already cleared off to where we were getting good money. Although Smolenskoblgaz wasn't exactly glamorous!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Yet British Gas embarked on a program to upgrade their infrastructure, which involved renewing all pipework simultaneously removing gas holders, so it could be done if the will was there.

I remember at the time the various water boards imploring customers not to brush their teeth under a running tap as that used the same amount of water as was being lost through leakage, rather than solve the problem at source.

Mike.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

You need to look up Alan Joyce, who some of you might remember was the brains behind Aer Lingus. Most notable was ongoing battles with unions with Qantas, which he has just left under a cloud, mostly to do with poor customer relations and big bonuses. Lots of cheering that he's finally gone!

Ebay madness:  Having a "presence" and not using it...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/ehattons

Meanwhile on their website,  https://www.hattons.co.uk/1482643/hornby_r9292_po05_thomas_and_friends_4_6_0_no_3_henry_the_green_engine_pre_owned_good_box/stockdetail

£252 for a green Railroad standard Black 5?

Perhaps I should sell the one I got when they were being flogged off.  I paid £50 back then....  🤔

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hats, and nowadays Rails increasingly as well, are obsessed with the condition of boxes and will charge top dollar for any old wreck in a decent box. This means that sometimes, only sometimes mind you, one can find an unboxed bargain...

Then there is the TTTE factor.  TTTE stuff commands insane prices, and I think I know why, or at least one of the reasons.  Imagine you have a couple of anklebiters, and these anklebiters want Henry, because they like Henry or because he was in the last book read to them or the last video they watched.  So you go out to buy Henry, but he isn't in any of the local shops,  Meanwhile, the anklebiters don't quite understand; you had no trouble getting Daisy when they wanted Daisy, what's so different about Henry?  We want Henry, daddy, Henry, Henry.

Anklebiters are what pays marketing guys' mortgage.  They've got you over a barrel, and nothing will do until you perform your fatherly duty and go out and get them Henry, and there will be no peace until you do get them Henry, in the box, properly.  Jake's dad got him a Henry. 

So you go online, where there are plenty of Henrys.  Overpriced, but available, and the anklebiters have been at it for over a week now.  So you pay way over the odds for a 2h Henry in a reasonable box, and peace returns.

Then they see a video with Murdoch in it...

'rolls in, rolls in, my god how the money rolls in, rolls in'...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3