EBay madness

Marcyg

On 13/08/2023 at 20:44, Ducking Giraffe said:

The finest loco £4.50 can buy! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155717822357

A pity its missing its tender, it won't get very far without it...

Two daring folk have bid it up to £6.50 already with just under 6 days to go. Is it really worth £12.50 including delivery?

Must keep an eye on it!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Hmm,

£700 for a rather inaccurate model?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155717675090

SNG was never fitted with the (badly painted on) stainless trim attempted here, nor is the tender the correct type until 1943. If it's intended to be post-preservation then the chimney is wrong. They have added the missing handrail from the cab, but the match to the original ones isn't great.

And noticeable is no photo of the underside - which is a significant weak point for these models.

It seems to have a lovely box?? 😎

• Funny 5

13 hours ago, Hroth said:

Two daring folk have bid it up to £6.50 already with just under 6 days to go. Is it really worth £12.50 including delivery?

Must keep an eye on it!

TLC??

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

It seems to have a lovely box?? 😎

Very good condition!

After a detour via SNG...

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

TLC??

Euthanasia, I'd think.

Had another look, the trailing axle on the front bogie looks a little bent too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

22 hours ago, Hroth said:

Must keep an eye on it!

£8.50 now and just under five days to go!

Am I missing something???  🤪

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 hours ago, Hroth said:

£8.50 now and just under five days to go!

Am I missing something???  🤪

Compared to this, it's still a veritable bargain...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204429553938?

Edit: which is a bargain compared to this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225698775807

which is nearly what a complete good condition version of the loco would cost.

Edited by Tofufi
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

They seem to turn up in bits frequently on ebay. Not sure if it's the motor (doubtful) or more likely the crappy chassis. Remember I had one years back where the plastic spokes had crumbled on one of the wheels and despite buying a new wheel set it still had tight spots when rolling, so I suspected more was up with it than I could diagnose.

• Friendly/supportive 1

All mine came from a bootsale find. 10, all completely broken down to the last nut and bolt and chucked in a wooden box! You have to ensure the pony truck spring is fitted and contact surfaces are clean or they never run well. Biro pen springs fit ok. And, is it just me or does the body have a "nose down" slant?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/08/2023 at 13:35, Tofufi said:

Compared to this, it's still a veritable bargain...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204429553938?

Edit: which is a bargain compared to this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225698775807

which is nearly what a complete good condition version of the loco would cost.

That's kinda like selling off your locomotive's underpants!

• Funny 3

Another listing that falls into the "what am I missing?" catagory. Not sure why the remains of a Hornby Dublo tender and some princess plunger pick-ups has been bid up past 50 pounds considering you could get both complete loco's for that much. I'm speaking as someone who has a dismantled Dublo castle tender ready to go if this is a new strain of madness😉

Buh?!

Edited by Sjcm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Another listing that falls into the "what am I missing?" catagory. Not sure why the remains of a Hornby Dublo tender and some princess plunger pick-ups has been bid up past 50 pounds considering you could get both complete loco's for that much. I'm speaking as someone who has a dismantled Dublo castle tender ready to go if this is a new strain of madness😉

Buh?!

I wonder if the buyer will pay up when its all done and dusted?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I wonder if the buyer will pay up when its all done and dusted?

Think so seeing there was a bidding war for it. There has to be something there in that pile of bits that I'm not seeing to make it go for 60 pounds 😲

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Buh?!

I'd start listing if I was you.

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Buh?!

Sometimes it's a case of if you can't beat them, join them. 

I bought an old motorised tender for an Airfix Castle. I wanted the body for a project.

Having checked the motor worked I put it back on eBay and it made double the original price.

I suspect that the reality is that when I bought it, I was the only person who wanted it, or spotted it and bid.

When I sold it, there were three people after it. 

That's all that affected the value.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Edge of the cab definitely bent in. 

Also, the white tag is rather blurred and doesn't add to the info...

You can get a s/h Bachmann Super D for half the price!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I wonder if it was professionally dropped on the floor too? 

It's amazing how many professionally built locomotives and rolling stock there seem to be out there with absolutely zero supporting evidence other than the seller's assertion and a ridiculous price tag. 

When I see such things I just think that they're a breedy gastard trying it on. They get all shouty in capitals and accuse you of not knowing what you're looking at if you call them out on it.

There's plenty of people on here who can make a very nice job of a locomotive kit that don't take on commissions and they're the tip of the iceberg.

• Agree 4

43 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I wonder if it was professionally dropped on the floor too? 

It's amazing how many professionally built locomotives and rolling stock there seem to be out there with absolutely zero supporting evidence other than the seller's assertion and a ridiculous price tag. 

When I see such things I just think that they're a breedy gastard trying it on. They get all shouty in capitals and accuse you of not knowing what you're looking at if you call them out on it.

There's plenty of people on here who can make a very nice job of a locomotive kit that don't take on commissions and they're the tip of the iceberg.

I must admit on the face of it the builder has made a very good job of building the loco, and whether the builder is a professional or not it has on the face of it been built very well, the missing tender spring is neither here or there as it can be replaced, but the damage to the cab side (and perhaps elsewhere)  in my opinion has devalued the kit by at least £200.

Given the price of the kit, wheels, motor and gearbox must be either side of £200 and I have no idea how much someone would charge to build and paint it, it is very sad to see such a nice loco in this state.   As for the seller it looks to be a business and the listing may have been made by an employee with little knowledge about the hobby. For me the value lies with the value of the spares which can be salvaged.  

I have just paid £78 for a damaged 0 gauge Sentinel steam shunter, with damage to one cab side and roof. I will probably replace the roof using the existing castings and hide the cab damage after straightening it with weathering.  Lets face it these locos would be damaged in later life anyway with the knocks of repeated use in service 

• Like 1