EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Sjcm said:

I thought that, but I can make out Made in Yugoslavia? Mehano?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/752094/mehano_t244_1loco_0_4_0_diesel_shunter_of_the_sncf_in_green_separated_from_train_set/stockdetail#

A Ha! By gum I think your'e right!! I wonder if Lima and Mehano were in to swapping moulds about. Somwhere I've a few of the Lima bodies having robbed them of motors and chassis. When I get a minute I'll compare them to Hattons item ( above). Just got back from the Cleveland Model Railway Club show at Redcar Tech so I'm droolin'over me swag.

Cheers, Rich

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, TinTracks said:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/752094/mehano_t244_1loco_0_4_0_diesel_shunter_of_the_sncf_in_green_separated_from_train_set/stockdetail#

A Ha! By gum I think your'e right!! I wonder if Lima and Mehano were in to swapping moulds about. Somwhere I've a few of the Lima bodies having robbed them of motors and chassis. When I get a minute I'll compare them to Hattons item ( above). Just got back from the Cleveland Model Railway Club show at Redcar Tech so I'm droolin'over me swag.

Cheers, Rich

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Bargain, you'd have to pay around a quarter of the price at an exhibition or swapmeet!

“Always two, there are. No more, no less. A master and an apprentice.”

Have we encountered Mr G's apprentice??

• Funny 6

8 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I like the artistic camera angle to disguise the fact it hasn't got any buffers and it can't be that rare an opportunity when he's got another one listed.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, kernowtim said:

You would think it would be obvious to have a decent photo of what you are selling,

This one at least in is focus,however the seller seems to have forgotten something!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284917769356

Somewhere, on a different website, there are a lot of confused people…

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

Good afternoon folks,

I am not sure if this qualifies as eBay madness but here goes anyway!

I noticed a loco I am interested come up on eBay in a mint, new condition.

However, there were only 2 photos attached. One of the mint, new box (naturally :)) and one of the loco in the plastic inner packaging.

I emailed the seller to see if there were any more photos to check the loco condition (suspicious moi?)

I was then sent 2 more photos again showing the loco in its inner liner.

Checking the bid status this morning, still no bids so I thought I would have a punt on it. But no, I am now barred from bidding. WTF!

Anyone else experienced this?

I will watch the item to see if anyone bites, if they are allowed to that is!

Cheers, Nigel.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good afternoon folks,

I am not sure if this qualifies as eBay madness but here goes anyway!

I noticed a loco I am interested come up on eBay in a mint, new condition.

However, there were only 2 photos attached. One of the mint, new box (naturally :)) and one of the loco in the plastic inner packaging.

I emailed the seller to see if there were any more photos to check the loco condition (suspicious moi?)

I was then sent 2 more photos again showing the loco in its inner liner.

Checking the bid status this morning, still no bids so I thought I would have a punt on it. But no, I am now barred from bidding. WTF!

Anyone else experienced this?

I will watch the item to see if anyone bites, if they are allowed to that is!

Cheers, Nigel.

Can you post the ebay link so we can watch the fun too?

• Agree 4

Hello Paul,

I would post the link if my IT skills were up to it, working on my tablet (Kindle) doesn't give me a lot of confidence, sorry 🙄

If you want to check it out, please search for 00 Terrier on eBay, then select auction and ending soonest. Seller is daytonalevi.

Enjoy.

Cheers, Nigel.

Edited by GMKAT7
Forgot to add, it is the SECR 751 version.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

The description I found interesting:

"

O GAUGE DJH HANDBUILT A2 CLASS 60528 TUDOR MINSTREL LOCOMOTIVE BR GREEN.

EXTREMELY WELL BUILT

THE TENDER IS NOT CONNECTED TO THE LOCO IN ANYWAY AND THE TENDER COUPLING TO THE LOCO IS MISSING/NOT ATTACHED.

THIS MODEL HAS NEVER BEEN RUN

THIS MODEL HAS A MOTOR

THIS MODEL HAS BEEN STATIC FOR 17 years. +

PAYMENT IS REQUIRED BY B.A.C.S OR CASH ON COLLECTION.

SOLD AS SEEN, THERE ARE NO RETURNS AS STATED BY EBAY"

I'd be highly suspicious that even though it has a motor, it probably doesn't run, or if it does, the wheels do half a revolution and then lock up. Especially as the seller is keen to get your money locked down and puts plenty of emphasis on the no returns policy.

The lack of pictures rings alarm bells too.

Pictures might give away why it has never run in the last two decades.

It's probably worth less than a tenth of what they're asking in reality. See what a dealer would offer for that description and pictures. Very little if anything.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

"

EXTREMELY WELL BUILT

THE TENDER IS NOT CONNECTED TO THE LOCO IN ANYWAY AND THE TENDER COUPLING TO THE LOCO IS MISSING/NOT ATTACHED.

THIS MODEL HAS A MOTOR

I'd be highly suspicious that even though it has a motor, it probably doesn't run, or if it does, the wheels do half a revolution and then lock up. Especially as the seller is keen to get your money locked down and puts plenty of emphasis on the no returns policy.

It's probably worth less than a tenth of what they're asking in reality. See what a dealer would offer for that description and pictures. Very little if anything.

To be fair, it does look well made and finished from the firebox pic. so I wouldn't be surprised if it could fetch over £1k but needs to be a superb listing to command a premium price.

When the pound struggled a while back, the likes of Masterpiece and Lee Marsh put their prices up from nearer 2k to over 3k. On the back of that, the older ones suddenly started getting listed at far more than they actually cost and at the same time, people are asking collosal amounts for kit builds (dealer, not just eBay chancers) and what they are realising has gone up by well over 50%. 

I use all this to justify collecting :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

"

EXTREMELY WELL BUILT

THIS MODEL HAS A MOTOR

So they are demanding use of payment methods not permitted by ebay - but then crow about no returns as per ebay rules. Alarm bells a ringin'...

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold