EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tofufi said:

Tri-ang XT60 as used in Lord of the Isles, Caley Single etc :)

It depends...

It may be an XT-60, but if its the same as the LotI motor then its an X-05.  Similar to an XT60 but its got a two-start worm.

image.png.e082dcb768686c8016f1888b16bd4344.png

Edited by Hroth
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Pushing "kit" as it's only sides and handles, and as for "built"...

Yes, there is that as well. 😂

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I thought it more redolent of the discarded underwear often seen in alleyways on a Sunday morning....

How sordid....

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

How sordid....

Well, quite.

Not the kind of girl one wants to introduce to one's mother as the new squeeze....

Edited by MrWolf
Autocretin
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

13 hours ago, sagaguy said:

I think it`s a Kitmaster body fitted with one of those motorising kits that were on the market in the 1960s/70s.They were,i think,supplied with a Romford Terrier motor.

Ray.

Perfecta kits,have a look here".

http://www.kitmaster.org.uk/PerfectaKits.htm

Ray.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, The Johnster said:

And when he pulls his frilly nylon panties right up tight he feels a…

Speaking from personal experience - again?

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, sagaguy said:

Perfecta kits,have a look here".

http://www.kitmaster.org.uk/PerfectaKits.htm

Ray.

Odd that the kits advertised as 'Parts to adapt the Kitmaster (insert loco) to power drive NOT INCLUDING MOTOR'.

So why not include the motor?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Pushing "kit" as it's only sides and handles, and as for "built"...

One would expect no less from our mate Gossy, in fact, I'd be more worried if he started describing things truthfully and selling them at real world prices.

Mike.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

One would expect no less from our mate Gossy, in fact, I'd be more worried if he started describing things truthfully and selling them at real world prices.

Mike.

Well, he does aspire to expensive to maintain, rolling automobile memorabilia, and I suppose he also has his pension pot to think about...

4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Odd that the kits advertised as 'Parts to adapt the Kitmaster (insert loco) to power drive NOT INCLUDING MOTOR'.

So why not include the motor?

Hoe much would the Kitmaster Pug cost back then?  I imagine it would be in the 4 bob range. A Kitmaster pug and rolling chassis would cost about 12/6. A Romford terrier?  another 18 shillings at least, so if the chassis kit included the motor then it would be unaffordable for the majority to buy all at once.

At least for your 12/6 you could have a moveable loco rather than a static one, and when your funds have built up, you can drop the motor in!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

6 hours ago, TinTracks said:

Hi Ray

Crikey! And all for 36/7d. ( if I've done me sums right) A King's Ransome for a bairn like me back then.

Regards, Rich

Sounds a bargain at £1.83p.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Well, he does aspire to expensive to maintain, rolling automobile memorabilia, and I suppose he also has his pension pot to think about...

Hoe much would the Kitmaster Pug cost back then?  I imagine it would be in the 4 bob range. A Kitmaster pug and rolling chassis would cost about 12/6. A Romford terrier?  another 18 shillings at least, so if the chassis kit included the motor then it would be unaffordable for the majority to buy all at once.

At least for your 12/6 you could have a moveable loco rather than a static one, and when your funds have built up, you can drop the motor in!

Hmm, whereas if I was buying such a kit, I would buy all the MAJOR parts required at one go. I can see the alleged advantages in choosing your own motor. But for a kit that's designed around a particular motor, then that's what I would buy.

By having the motor to hand when assembling you can make sure it all fits properly as you go, rather than trying to make alterations later - after all lots of parts are likely to be plastic.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Hmm, whereas if I was buying such a kit, I would buy all the MAJOR parts required at one go. I can see the alleged advantages in choosing your own motor. But for a kit that's designed around a particular motor, then that's what I would buy.

By having the motor to hand when assembling you can make sure it all fits properly as you go, rather than trying to make alterations later - after all lots of parts are likely to be plastic.

Ah, you young uns! Back in the day there were no easily obtained overdrafts, credit cards, spare money trees etc, you bought what you wanted with the money you had in your pocket, and that meant having patience, unlike the current me, me, me and I want it now attitudes which seem to prevail.

Mike.

• Agree 8

25 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Ah, you young uns! Back in the day there were no easily obtained overdrafts, credit cards, spare money trees etc, you bought what you wanted with the money you had in your pocket, and that meant having patience, unlike the current me, me, me and I want it now attitudes which seem to prevail.

Indeed. If you couldn't afford it you either saved up for it or did without. And if you did without there was no stigma attached, unlike today where, if you don't have the latest gadget in this year's colour, you're cut out of people's lives and shunned.

• Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Swissrail said:

Indeed. If you couldn't afford it you either saved up for it or did without. And if you did without there was no stigma attached, unlike today where, if you don't have the latest gadget in this year's colour, you're cut out of people's lives and shunned.

I've still got the money bank I'd put spare coins in to "save up" for future purposes.  Given prices nowadays, that wouldn't cut the mustard!  I suppose the equivalent would be a box to stuff the odd fiver in, though anyone habituated to flashing a debit card or whatever won't have anything to put aside and the account will be empty at the end of the week/month/individual accounting period...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I've still got the money bank I'd put spare coins in to "save up" for future purposes.  Given prices nowadays, that wouldn't cut the mustard!  I suppose the equivalent would be a box to stuff the odd fiver in, though anyone habituated to flashing a debit card or whatever won't have anything to put aside and the account will be empty at the end of the week/month/individual accounting period...

We've got friends who have wholeheartedly bought into the consumerist nightmare, sorry, dream and spend every penny they earn in order to keep up with the Joneses and their rich friends...and they are up to their top lips in debt to have it all right now. The instant some money is freed up, they find something else to spend it on, usually very expensive hi-fi, a bigger car or yet another kitchen remodelling. It never occurs to them to salt it away or put it into their stratospheric mortgage in order to kill it early...that wouldn't produce something tangible the husband in particular could point to and brag about. The upshot being they have a beautiful house full of all the latest top-of-the-range gizmos, a BMW X6M in the driveway and three fancy holidays a year. The problem is that none of it is really theirs...it all belongs to banks and finance companies. On the other hand, we own everything, house, car etc., outright and we're paying for the new extension from our savings. They look better off than we are but they haven't a bean in the bank and are actually, in real terms, broke. If either of them were made redundant, they'd lose everything, house included.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

We've got friends who have wholeheartedly bought into the consumerist nightmare, sorry, dream and spend every penny they earn in order to keep up with the Joneses and their rich friends...and they are up to their top lips in debt to have it all right now. The instant some money is freed up, they find something else to spend it on, usually very expensive hi-fi, a bigger car or yet another kitchen remodelling. It never occurs to them to salt it away or put it into their stratospheric mortgage in order to kill it early...that wouldn't produce something tangible the husband in particular could point to and brag about. The upshot being they have a beautiful house full of all the latest top-of-the-range gizmos, a BMW X6M in the driveway and three fancy holidays a year. The problem is that none of it is really theirs...it all belongs to banks and finance companies. On the other hand, we own everything, house, car etc., outright and we're paying for the new extension from our savings. They look better off than we are but they haven't a bean in the bank and are actually, in real terms, broke. If either of them were made redundant, they'd lose everything, house included.

With those sort of people I want to ask what they could legally sell and keep the money from, the house is probably in negative equity too.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Some over-extended bu@@er is trying to sell his BMW. How do I know? Because he gave an incorrect email address to Motorway (sharks heavily advertised on radio and tv), and they keep giving him offers and pleas to sell promptly.

I'm not going to contact them to remedy their mistake, I just delete the emails!

• Friendly/supportive 2

46 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Some over-extended bu@@er is trying to sell his BMW. How do I know? Because he gave an incorrect email address to Motorway (sharks heavily advertised on radio and tv), and they keep giving him offers and pleas to sell promptly.

I'm not going to contact them to remedy their mistake, I just delete the emails!

I take it you mean he inadvertently gave them your email address?

• Like 1

I gets dozens of SPAM emails daily, some of them purporting to be from the likes of ebay about products of no interest whatever, many more from courier companies who would be unlikely to be delivering anything to me, even some apparently from beyond the grave from deceased friends.   Trying to sell me something priced in $ is often a real giveaway.  Quite a  lot have a "click here to unsubscribe" button (though of course I know I never subscribed in the first place) and quite often an address in Texas or Florida.  More and more of this stuff seems to get past the email filters instead of being diverted to Junk.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3