EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

What qualifies this item for the eBay Madness thread? I had two thoughts…

1) Maybe the starting price is a little high for what basically looks like a motorised Airfix kit*, but otherwise I think it’s a really neat bit of modelling. I’m hazarding a guess that the motor is the kind found in ye olde Triang Hornby locos (X04?) but whoever built it did manage to keep the motor out of the cab (unlike the efforts of the professionals - Dapol/Hornby). Whether there is enough weight in it in the right places to actually pull anything is another matter entirely!

2) Maybe it is the back story that hints at it deserving to be listed …

“This lovely train hasn’t been used for over 10 years and when it was it was looked after by a lovely man who respected his collection and looked after with pride! (grandchildren weren’t allowed to touch) It’s been tested to make sure its running smoothly. It might benefit from a service / oil , as when running it there was loads of dust on it, selling due to a bereavement.”

Think we’ve heard that one before!!

Having said that, I am tempted… 😬

HOURS OF FUN!

* Just re-read the listing and the seller says she** thinks the body is of white metal. However, the photos show moulded handrails on the tank and cab whereas back in the day I would think that a white metal kit would be designed with wire handrails in mind, given the skill level required to build a white metal kit. It is, as I often say, a puzzlement…

** I recently contacted an eBay seller*** going by the name Joannesmom1960 which would imply a female seller, but got a response from Kevin 🤭

*** Sometimes I stumble across items that could be posted here, but instead I contact the sellers and explain the inaccuracies of their listings with an opportunity to correct them. Most respond positively. In this instance, my search for “class 04 loco”**** turned up this item, which is patently NOT an accurate model of a class 04 (although resembling suchlike) despite being made by Bachmann. As the starting price was/is in line with such models, I suggested that unscrupulous buyers might buy it then demand a (large) partial refund because it was not accurately described and threaten the seller with poor feedback/complaint to eBay if not given (it happens - happened to me a few years ago, hence no selling on my part)… Kevin responded “Thanks for the message Steve but I’m happy with the listing as it is” … so, it got flagged here after all! 😉

**** I know, I know… as mentioned elsewhere on RMWeb, I seem to be addicted to these little shunters and keep buying the blessed things!! 🤭

FOLLOW UP

Okay, I admit it, I’m quite taken with the little Pug loco, so I just tried messaging the seller to ask a question or two…

Every message I’ve attempted to send has failed…

Even messaging on other items the seller has listed…

Now, should I treat that as suspicious?

ANOTHER FOLLOW UP

Just messaged another seller with no problems, so now very suspicious! Shame…

Edited by SteveyDee68
Update after messaging seller failed
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Just because I do or don't appreciate certain designs of automobiles is no valid reason to torch my entire wardrobe full of kipper ties, Bri-Nylon shirts, polyester suits, flared trousers, tank tops and loons thank you very much!

Mike.

No wonder I can't find nowt to wear down at the charity shops. It sounds like you've got 'em all😉

PS I don't suppose you've got any  of them stack healed shoes going spare? Size 9 will do smashing. I used to have an orange coloured pair back in the 70s, I miss them badly😃

Regards, Rich

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I’m hazarding a guess that the motor is the kind found in ye olde Triang Hornby locos (X04?) but whoever built it did manage to keep the motor out of the cab (unlike the efforts of the professionals -

Agreed. I think the builder has done a good job with a small loco and a big (ish) motor. I'm tempted a bit but conversion to 3 rail without resorting to a coupled wagon for the centre pick up has put me off.

I've 3 or 4 Dapol/Airfix pug kits stashed away. I'm wondering about doing a double header with the motor in one loco and the centre pickup fixed underneath an unpowered, permanently coupled , loco.

Note to self .You must not start another project until you've finished this lot-- You must not start another project......................etc.

Regards, Rich

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how well it runs, in the sense of how slowly it can run reasonably smoothly.  The video is no help at all here!  The starting bid is a bit steep, but not ridiculous for a motorised Airfix kit pug provided it runs well and performs properly at low speed, but I think I'd need a bit more reassurance before parting with any beer vouchers, and nothing about the seller's input is particularly reassuring.  I can't avoid the conclusion that he's creating an impression of not knowing much about the loco (whitemetal plastic, doesn't know if the top should be loose, &c) to provide a ready excuse if things are not as they should be, and the grandchildren not allowed to touch it/bereavement tale sounds very much like menacity in the form of a sales pitch to this old cynic...

Let's assume all is well with it, for a moment, and compare it to a used Dapol/Hornby pug.  The RTR has proper handrails, slide bar covers, and brake detail, this has a cab largely free of the lump of motor of the RTR and might be a better runner given the small driving wheels; depends on the gearing.  One might be able to make a hybrid with decent detail and a clear cab out of the two locos.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

In the tradition of eBay sending me a best offer on everything I look at on this thread. I've now received a discount of 3,500 pounds on the dismantled wagon😂 waiting to hear back from the seller if he's willing to convert it to OO gauge.

Edited by Sjcm
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

What qualifies this item for the eBay Madness thread? I had two thoughts…

1) Maybe the starting price is a little high for what basically looks like a motorised Airfix kit*, but otherwise I think it’s a really neat bit of modelling. I’m hazarding a guess that the motor is the kind found in ye olde Triang Hornby locos (X04?) but whoever built it did manage to keep the motor out of the cab (unlike the efforts of the professionals - Dapol/Hornby). Whether there is enough weight in it in the right places to actually pull anything is another matter entirely!

2) Maybe it is the back story that hints at it deserving to be listed …

“This lovely train hasn’t been used for over 10 years and when it was it was looked after by a lovely man who respected his collection and looked after with pride! (grandchildren weren’t allowed to touch) It’s been tested to make sure its running smoothly. It might benefit from a service / oil , as when running it there was loads of dust on it, selling due to a bereavement.”

Think we’ve heard that one before!!

Having said that, I am tempted… 😬

HOURS OF FUN!

* Just re-read the listing and the seller says she** thinks the body is of white metal. However, the photos show moulded handrails on the tank and cab whereas back in the day I would think that a white metal kit would be designed with wire handrails in mind, given the skill level required to build a white metal kit. It is, as I often say, a puzzlement…

** I recently contacted an eBay seller*** going by the name Joannesmom1960 which would imply a female seller, but got a response from Kevin 🤭

*** Sometimes I stumble across items that could be posted here, but instead I contact the sellers and explain the inaccuracies of their listings with an opportunity to correct them. Most respond positively. In this instance, my search for “class 04 loco”**** turned up this item, which is patently NOT an accurate model of a class 04 (although resembling suchlike) despite being made by Bachmann. As the starting price was/is in line with such models, I suggested that unscrupulous buyers might buy it then demand a (large) partial refund because it was not accurately described and threaten the seller with poor feedback/complaint to eBay if not given (it happens - happened to me a few years ago, hence no selling on my part)… Kevin responded “Thanks for the message Steve but I’m happy with the listing as it is” … so, it got flagged here after all! 😉

**** I know, I know… as mentioned elsewhere on RMWeb, I seem to be addicted to these little shunters and keep buying the blessed things!! 🤭

FOLLOW UP

Okay, I admit it, I’m quite taken with the little Pug loco, so I just tried messaging the seller to ask a question or two…

Every message I’ve attempted to send has failed…

Even messaging on other items the seller has listed…

Now, should I treat that as suspicious?

ANOTHER FOLLOW UP

Just messaged another seller with no problems, so now very suspicious! Shame…

It's not an X04. It's bugging me as I've seen those brush springs before. Some sort of chassis taken from a HO loco?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Bucoops said:

No shell suits? Dissapointing...

Far too modern daaahling!

7 hours ago, TinTracks said:

No wonder I can't find nowt to wear down at the charity shops. It sounds like you've got 'em all😉

PS I don't suppose you've got any  of them stack healed shoes going spare? Size 9 will do smashing. I used to have an orange coloured pair back in the 70s, I miss them badly😃

Regards, Rich

Sorry, size 10 I'm afraid!

Mike.

• Funny 3

43 minutes ago, Sjcm said:

It's not an X04. It's bugging me as I've seen those brush springs before. Some sort of chassis taken from a HO loco?

I recognise them too. Something tells me it's from a loco made by British Trix?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

I recognise them too. Something tells me it's from a loco made by British Trix?

Yeah that was my thoughts but a Google search and the brush springs and magnet look wrong. I know one of these has passed through my hands in the last 5 years as I remember servicing it but the only trix I can remember was an old 3 rail GWR tank ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sjcm said:

Yeah that was my thoughts but a Google search and the brush springs and magnet look wrong. I know one of these has passed through my hands in the last 5 years as I remember servicing it but the only trix I can remember was an old 3 rail GWR tank ?

You're right. This is from the http://www.trix.co.uk/ site...

DCloco2.jpg.47723ddb6cc9bef1a84953b6c92b1187.jpg

The motor is quite different from the one in that pug.

It looks like it might be a Romford...

s-l300.jpg.72529af6166050669ba4088880502802.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think it`s a Kitmaster body fitted with one of those motorising kits that were on the market in the 1960s/70s.They were,i think,supplied with a Romford Terrier motor.

Ray.

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

And when he pulls his frilly nylon panties right up tight he feels a…

Its the tingling from the static electricity, you know....

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Brentford Nylons again?

Mike.

I thought they just did sheets and nighties?

Terrifying stuff!

Its really not my field of expertise...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Tri-ang XT60 as used in Lord of the Isles, Caley Single etc :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1