EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Scottish-Exile said:

Just done an eBay search of selling prices for the Hornby Class 800 Paddington Bear ltd edition set, as I have an unopened one that I'm considering selling. Strewth, if they go for this much then I think I can just about afford to retire!

Hornby Class 800 Paddington Bear

Hold the P45, it doesn't say it sold!

Mike.

• Like 1

Well...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285271622104

It's a old Blue Box, it is not a GP60 and it is not an even an EMD despite a photo showing the instruction sheet in the sellers hands telling him what it actually is!!!

Also the decimal point is about two points too far to the right...

And thrown in for free is the usual dead relative sob story.  Sorry, like this horrendously overpriced auction, I ain't buying it....

Well, it's american, so there's a fairly good chance of it being EMD! 🤣

• Funny 2

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Indeed and I'm already thinking of what sort of rusty old motorcycle I could get if I had one of those sets to sell....

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That's strange, it didn't on mine last night, was showing no bids listing ended.

Mike.

Here you go, this is from the desktop site, might not display like this in the App

PXL_20230508_075722690.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was best offer accepted, so considering another one went for 600(best offer), I doubt he got that price.. Still......

*starts designing cut 'n shut Paddington Blue Pullman*

Edited by Sjcm
  • Like 2

Not quite Ebay madness, but madness nonetheless. Are there no depths of embarrassing crassness that capitalism will not sink to? A loco that plays "God Save the King" as it trundles round your layout?

Get me a bucket!

WhatsAppImage2023-05-04at14_13_20.jpg.d0

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

Not quite Ebay madness, but madness nonetheless. Are there no depths of embarrassing crassness that capitalism will not sink to? A loco that plays "God Save the King" as it trundles round your layout?

Get me a bucket!

As Bradford Exchange amply prove there is no lower level of cringeworthy crass tat that can't be sold.

I fear for the lack of mental capacity of the person who writes the supporting vomit inducing verbiage.

As for the people who buy them, well,,,,,,

Mike.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Swissrail said:

Get me a bucket!

A couple of Several thoughts...

• There can only be 1000
  • Its being sold to Collectors Club members only, who can only buy one example each
  • They're sold out already
  • They're only £10 more than a standard Railroad Plus diesel with TXS sound
  • Remember its free postage and if the Collectors Club member has Hornby Hobby points too then it'll be even cheaper.
  • Because they're a TXS model "God Save the King" will be on a function button so it won't be played incessantly
  • Because they're a TXS model, you can always download the standard class 66 profile to replace the 66+coronation profile
  • Seeing as King Charles III went for Royal Blue at the Coronation, it might be that the loco will get a colour change from purple too.
  • Its not as vomit inducingly cringeworthy as any Bradford Exchange item of memorabilia
  • When it eventually sees the light of day, it'll be interesting to see how many appear on ebay and at what mark up...

I think that more or less covers it!

Edited by Hroth
Removal of a superfluous word or two!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

30 minutes ago, Hroth said:

A couple of Several thoughts...

• There can only be 1000
  • Its being sold to Collectors Club members only, who can only buy one example each
  • They're sold out already
  • They're only £10 more than a standard Railroad Plus diesel with TXS sound
  • Remember its free postage and if the Collectors Club member has Hornby Hobby points too then it'll be even cheaper.
  • Because they're a TXS model "God Save the King" will be on a function button so it won't be played incessantly
  • Because they're a TXS model, you can always download the standard class 66 profile to replace the 66+coronation profile
  • Seeing as King Charles III went for Royal Blue at the Coronation, it might be that the loco will get a colour change from purple too.
  • Its not as vomit inducingly cringeworthy as any Bradford Exchange item of memorabilia
  • When it eventually sees the light of day, it'll be interesting to see how many appear on ebay and at what mark up...

I think that more or less covers it!

Then how long before they then get reduced as they realize no sane person would want one.

Anyone else spot the typo in the advert? They say class 66 06523.

Have Freightliner actually done this to one of their locomotives? I haven't seen anything about in this months railway magazine, or, railways Illustrated.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

Then how long before they then get reduced as they realize no sane person would want one.

Have Freightliner actually done this to one of their locomotives? I haven't seen anything about in this months railway magazine, or, railways Illustrated.

Do you mean it's not prototypical?!!

Mike.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

If a scalper gets their fingers burned, then I doubt if many tears would be shed. Anyone who had one and wanted to sell it probably won't make a loss in the end.

Its just another Hornby fantasy livery. They've done so many locos and wagons with cod liveries that it's not worth worrying about.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its just another Hornby fantasy livery. They've done so many locos and wagons with cod liveries that it's not worth worrying about.

Not worth worrying about, but frighteningly interesting to see depths that some manufacturers and buyers will plummet to!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Not worth worrying about, but frighteningly interesting to see depths that some manufacturers and buyers will plummet to!

Mike.

With the same morbid curiosity that makes everyone look when they see a car crash. 😆

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 06/05/2023 at 15:32, Swissrail said:

What are these guys on? Is the box what you couple up to the coaches and is therefore more important than the wrecked Brush Type 4 wot's in it?

rather have a lima 47 than that junk, and at least I can service it

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

20 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Not railway related, Miss R was looking for sewing machine parts and got the giggles at some people's interpretation of how to spell "ORIGINAL"...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354425456829?

The object in question and the picture didn't help either, somehow made it worse.

You'd wat to ba careful putting that spelling of original into google.....

• Funny 6

24 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

You'd wat to ba careful putting that spelling of original into google.....

Ancient Japanese art of making ****holes out of folded paper apparently....

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Not railway related, Miss R was looking for sewing machine parts and got the giggles at some people's interpretation of how to spell "ORIGINAL"...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354425456829?

The object in question and the picture didn't help either, somehow made it worse.

Yet elsewhere in the ad, it's spelt correctly, so a funny typo.

• Like 2