EBay madness

Marcyg

2 hours ago, PeterStiles said:

Whilst searching for a Merchant Navy as a present for my esteemed wife, I came across this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381275548360?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=5Z6FVILETWS&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=v6cpl3kbqqi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

£149, I thought, not too bad for the Hornby...but ... It's an ashtray. Seriously, an ashtray? Is there an Ashtray-Web set if forums I should be posting this on? Do they laugh when they get a Hornby or GraFar model popping up on *their* searches?

What would it cost if it still had The Box?

https://www.google.com/search?q=all+the+nice+girls+love+a+sailor+youtube&rlz=1C1GGRV_enGB755GB757&sxsrf=APwXEdcu_j54JCf7QLhkTDIa_sH6VF3-ww%3A1683324505948&ei=WX5VZNi_OYGbhbIPmLScqAs&ved=0ahUKEwiY0N-5mN_-AhWBTUEAHRgaB7UQ4dUDCA8&uact=5&oq=all+the+nice+girls+love+a+sailor+youtube&gs_lcp=Cgxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAQAzoKCAAQRxDWBBCwA0oECEEYAFDoG1imMmCzOWgBcAF4AIABXYgB-wSSAQE4mAEAoAEByAEHwAEB&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:af77dab6,vid:9HycdoRH8to

• Like 1

On 25/04/2023 at 16:29, PieGuyRob said:

That is probably one of the most diabolically cynical marketing rip-offs I've ever seen. That thing is an utter pile of sh!t and doesn't deserve to exist at all. Whoever dreamt this garbage up should be in the Tower: I'm no royalist but that carp is definitely disrespectful to the Queen's memory, created as it was by people who cared nothing for anything but the cash opportunity afforded them by her death. The description of this junk is actionable under the Trades Description Act and the price is nothing short of robbery!

Edited by Swissrail
  • Agree 8

52 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

That is probably one of the most diabolically cynical marketing rip-offs I've ever seen. That thing is an utter pile of sh!t and doesn't deserve to exist at all. Whoever dreamt this garbage up should be in the Tower: I'm no royalist but that carp is definitely disrespectful to the Queen's memory, created as it was by people who cared nothing for anything but the cash opportunity afforded them by her death. The description of this junk is actionable under the Trades Description Act and the price is nothing short of robbery!

I think you need to go lie down in a dark room, its only a toy train.

No one is forced to buy it so how is it robbery?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Type 2 said:

I think you need to go lie down in a dark room, its only a toy train.

No one is forced to buy it so how is it robbery?

And I think you're missing the point of this thread. Faux outrage is its M.O.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Swissrail said:

I'm no royalist either (I have evidence that a number of my ancestors fought for Cromwell in fact) nor am I fashionably anti royal either daaahlings....

I like tormenting people who say things like: "We should abolish the monarchy and become a republic with a president!"

Wot? Like Donald Trump perhaps? Or would you prefer Kim Jong Il? Putin?

They go off in a huff. Winding up middle class marxists is easier than shooting at tin cans and it's free!!

But that purple train really is tat, it looks like one of those plastic pagodas behind the counter in a Chinese takeaway.

It's cashing in, in whatever way possible on the public, as in gosh, we haven't targeted railway enthusiasts who are big fans of the late Queen etc...

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'm no royalist either (I have evidence that a number of my ancestors fought for Cromwell in fact) nor am I fashionably anti royal either daaahlings....

I like tormenting people who say things like: "We should abolish the monarchy and become a republic with a president!"

Wot? Like Donald Trump perhaps? Or would you prefer Kim Jong Il? Putin?

They go off in a huff. Winding up middle class marxists is easier than shooting at tin cans and it's free!!

But that purple train really is tat, it looks like one of those plastic pagodas behind the counter in a Chinese takeaway.

It's cashing in, in whatever way possible on the public, as in gosh, we haven't targeted railway enthusiasts who are big fans of the late Queen etc...

The Sam's Trains review of it on YouTube is hilarious and shows it up to be the spectacularly awful junk it seems and which is worthy of an instant visit to the plastic recycling bin. The cynicism in its construction is solid gold in that it's not even pretending to be a relevant prototype. It's just some American garbage that looks like a rebranded refugee from a Casey Jones merchandising deal that went t!ts up. Also, to call it hand crafted and painted is a lie right up there with Trump's finest!

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

On 25/04/2023 at 18:30, Paul H Vigor said:

Must admit to not liking Crystal Tips and Alistair at the time. Sounds a wee bit druggy today??

I used to work beside someone with hair like Crystal Tipps and it earned her the nickname from those of us old enough to remember the character. The reference was completely lost on the girl who was in her mid twenties. She actually thought it was charming!

• Funny 4

5 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

I used to work beside someone with hair like Crystal Tipps and it earned her the nickname from those of us old enough to remember the character. The reference was completely lost on the girl who was in her mid twenties. She actually thought it was charming!

That's what we also called anyone who had one of those Whitney Houston perms. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 27/04/2023 at 20:00, Hroth said:

If you want a humdinger of Mazak Rot, then this item from Hattons will make your eyes water.

image.png.f6c07e13cf4886ecfae9bca274453a5a.png

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1217931/heljan_4752_po02_class_47_diesel_d1733_in_xp64_experimental_blue_livery_pre_owned_sold_as_seen_/stockdetail

And they only want £73 for it.  Apparently the bodyshell finish is pristine and its been tested and runs fine. There is some damage, both cosmetically and internally, but most importantly, its got a GOOD BOX!

What are these guys on? Is the box what you couple up to the coaches and is therefore more important than the wrecked Brush Type 4 wot's in it?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Swissrail said:

Any price is robbery!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

And the point of it is...?

Some folk can be persuaded to part with their money for something that even Rule 1 laughs at!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Some folk can be persuaded to part with their money for something that even Rule 1 laughs at!

Wlathers used to do a kit of a heavy weight Pullman coach just long enough to be a 6 wheel version using just one boige set... bit of fun, I have one somewhere...

download(1).jpeg.84a7431fa184405f3218c8b8012c116c.jpeg

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Wlathers used to do a kit of a heavy weight Pullman coach just long enough to be a 6 wheel version using just one boige set... bit of fun, I have one somewhere...

With locomotives and stock that short, you could have a "Minories" layout in a desk drawer!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, John Besley said:

When I went to the US on business I picked up a carriage similar to that, and I've still got it somewhere.

Mine has a balcony at one end so that the President can read his Gettysburg Address before going straight back home!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hroth said:

Somebody apparently parted with £63 of their hard earned for it. I followed the link and that's how much it sold for.

Though to be fair, I thought the locomotive version he built, that appeared on here a while ago, looked pretty smart.

Edited by PieGuyRob
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Well...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285271622104

It's a old Blue Box, it is not a GP60 and it is not an even an EMD despite a photo showing the instruction sheet in the sellers hands telling him what it actually is!!!

Also the decimal point is about two points too far to the right...

And thrown in for free is the usual dead relative sob story.  Sorry, like this horrendously overpriced auction, I ain't buying it....

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Well...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285271622104

It's a old Blue Box, it is not a GP60 and it is not an even an EMD despite a photo showing the instruction sheet in the sellers hands telling him what it actually is!!!

Also the decimal point is about two points too far to the right...

And thrown in for free is the usual dead relative sob story.  Sorry, like this horrendously overpriced auction, I ain't buying it....

To say he uses the plural in the description, it is the only railway item he has for sale. All his other items are old playstation games, oh, and, a SNES game. I have no idea about about American outline models.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just done an eBay search of selling prices for the Hornby Class 800 Paddington Bear ltd edition set, as I have an unopened one that I'm considering selling. Strewth, if they go for this much then I think I can just about afford to retire!

Hornby Class 800 Paddington Bear

Edited by Scottish-Exile
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Scottish-Exile said:

Just done an eBay search of selling prices for the Hornby Class 800 Paddington Bear ltd edition set, as I have an unopened one that I'm considering selling. Strewth, if they go for this much then I think I can just about afford to retire!

Hornby Class 800 Paddington Bear

Wow, as a seller, ouch as a buyer.

Every car I have owned, has had a purchase price less than that. Including a taxi. They all came with tax and test as well!

• Like 2