EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, PieGuyRob said:

The price of Bachmann's carriages are just going silly.

I get the impression that sellers are at the least aligning their prices with those of current offerings and then adding a bit for the fact that they are out of production.

It's a bit of a relief that I run mostly goods and my passenger stock is mostly ramshackle items from the 1890s. If I was building a big modernish main line layout I would struggle to afford the trains to run on it.

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I get the impression that sellers are at the least aligning their prices with those of current offerings and then adding a bit for the fact that they are out of production.

It's a bit of a relief that I run mostly goods and my passenger stock is mostly ramshackle items from the 1890s. If I was building a big modernish main line layout I would struggle to afford the trains to run on it.

Who would be a shoestring newbie modeller today?

• Like 6

6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Why, are shoestring newbies particularly difficullt to model...

Its to do with the ubiquity of velcro* and stretchy slip-on shoes.  They have no idea of how to cope with shoestrings...

* Other hook-and-loop fastening systems are available.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its to do with the ubiquity of velcro* and stretchy slip-on shoes.  They have no idea of how to cope with shoestrings...

* Other hook-and-loop fastening systems are available.

Having worked on a number of industrial sites where rigger boots are banned and lace up boots with ankle support are mandatory it came as a surprise how many strapping lads of 19 or 20 who think they're all that couldn't tie laces and had never been shown how, despite living in trainers their whole lives was a shocking indictment of the state of the nation. 🙄

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Why, are shoestring newbies particularly difficullt to model...

They are when they can't afford a decent a rake of coaches to run behind that lovely ebay loco they invested all the gas money in!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

They are when they can't afford a decent a rake of coaches to run behind that lovely ebay loco they invested all the gas money in!

Not to worry, there are billions of old Tri-ang Pullman cars at toy fairs nobody can shift, or (wildly priced) limited edition Dapol wagons, ditto.

If Dapol could have got £45 a chuck for them, I'm sure that they would have been in raptures, or in Venice with someone they claim is their Personal Assistant, but all the rooms at the inn were taken except for the honeymoon suite...

Edited by MrWolf
I'm awake at a funny time...
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Nobody called me cute before...

G6sdQtBex763zK6vA3-ZxoM_vmI-FaPXpAtfQnObElg.jpg.9d6c5cfa54c8d9a0bf29da56994d9328.jpg

Strangely, when I was out for my morning constitutional, I came across someone something looking a bit like that, out for his morning walkies.  I got talking to his owner, and it turned out he was a rescue dog, and they had him DNA tested to see what he was.  75% Alaskan Malamut and 25% Siberian Huskie.  Not only cute, but a big softie (he thinks he's a lap dog).

Adrian

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Like to give a shout-out to Peterspares who seem to be taking part in the ebay postage scam. 1 sheet of transfers? 5 pounds postage to you mate. How are they sending this stuff out?  Same day delivery?     But look at his listings and larger stuff is 2.50?! He's been getting progressively worse to the point I won't use him anymore and try to use his rivals.                                                                                             

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sjcm said:

Like to give a shout-out                                                                                 

Normally an expression of praise or at least honourable mention? If you are calling them out, that's different.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sjcm said:

Like to give a shout-out to Peterspares who seem to be taking part in the ebay postage scam. 1 sheet of transfers? 5 pounds postage to you mate. How are they sending this stuff out?  Same day delivery?     But look at his listings and larger stuff is 2.50?! He's been getting progressively worse to the point I won't use him anymore and try to use his rivals.                                                                                             

he's put up pages of stuff overnight which is slightly irritating in itself as you have to trawl through it all when searching etc. I noticed that all of it is £5 postage now and bar a few exceptions, £5 minimum, even for a tiny part.

Before they flogged off all their excess to him, DCC supplies had similarly hiked proces whereas originally their Dapol spares were a very useful source.

Gaugemaster Heljan spares are nothing like as easy to get hold of than Howes used to be. I suspect spares are a total pain from the retailers perspective.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 2

So ok, he has to pack the parts Time/Materials, he has to take to Post Time/Shoe Leather/Fuel/Bus Fare so looking at the time, effort, material, Ebay fees and post costs £5 does not appear that excessive.

• Funny 1

6 minutes ago, dunnyrail said:

So ok, he has to pack the parts Time/Materials, he has to take to Post Time/Shoe Leather/Fuel/Bus Fare so looking at the time, effort, material, Ebay fees and post costs £5 does not appear that excessive.

It's $82.90  to post to Australia, so about £44 for one item. Admittedly, each additional item added on is free.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, dunnyrail said:

I don't mind sellers covering their costs and making a markup but 400% on postage is a bit much. It's not like he sends out the stuff with incredibly sturdy packaging as it is. The problem is spares are the base inflation on Ebay and why a complete 2nd hand loco goes for a 10 pounds more because no-one wants to pay 20 pounds for a buffer and a missing coupling so this kind of selling will eventually effect everyone. The trouble is people don't look half the time because he's become the go-to to get parts when the reality from my experience is he's very expensive. I paid 6 pounds including postage for 4 large sheets of transfers including numbers and linings the other night, and he's selling 3 cabside numbers for more than that?😂

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Normally an expression of praise or at least honourable mention? If you are calling them out, that's different.

Just a bit of sarcasm.😉

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Sjcm said:

Being devil's advocate, I'm just glad that the items are available, having witnessed the contraction of the number of small model railway related businesses over the past few years postage is the least of the worries.

Mike.

• Agree 4

Just now, Enterprisingwestern said:

Being devil's advocate, I'm just glad that the items are available, having witnessed the contraction of the number of small model railway related businesses over the past few years postage is the least of the worries.

Mike.

Well yeah, if it's something you can't get elsewhere then you pay your money and take your choice. I've paid 7 pounds postage on a 3.50 small parcel before because I wanted the item, but I'm not sure I'd pay 17.50 which is his markup % wise on small items. Just strikes me as particularly cynical on his part that he thinks people won't notice because of the  lower overall cost

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 45568 said:

Even in Oz, if you wanted an unreliable 43xx you can probably get a Mainline with better brake and underframe detail, or even the somewhat less dire Bachmann with a can motor upgrade, for much less, and you wouldn’t have to build it.  I think I’ll pass up on the kind offer of 60-year-old green paint to put some colour into my mode, all the same, thanks…

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Whilst searching for a Merchant Navy as a present for my esteemed wife, I came across this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381275548360?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=5Z6FVILETWS&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=v6cpl3kbqqi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

£149, I thought, not too bad for the Hornby...but ... It's an ashtray. Seriously, an ashtray? Is there an Ashtray-Web set if forums I should be posting this on? Do they laugh when they get a Hornby or GraFar model popping up on *their* searches?

What would it cost if it still had The Box?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3