EBay madness

Marcyg

42 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

If any of you were one of the two chaps busy ferreting at Bolton toy and train fair who actually caused a young lady beside you to actually retch with your unsanitary habits (and you did notice!) That was my other half....😁

'Ferreting' in Bolton, eh!?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

If any of you were one of the two chaps busy ferreting at Bolton toy and train fair who caused a young lady beside you to actually retch with your unsanitary habits (and you did notice!) That was my other half....😁

Sorry 😳

(for the record, I've never been to Bolton).

• Funny 5

13 hours ago, farren said:

I've just received a -10% offer of £89.99 to Buy It Now....

Plus £1 postage of course....

Aaaaagghh!.🤪 

Clicks "decline offer"....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I'm picturing the erect, tugid thumb from a festering, yellow Marigold glove!

You can find a thread on Sir Les Patterson, elsewhere!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

In order to drag this thread away from body odour stories and back to eBay here is a professionally painted backscene available from the US.   Echoes of Mary Mungo and Midge (for those old enough to remember) in this artwork.

I reckon those clouds are actually UFOs.

Cheers

Darius

Mary, Mungo, and Midge, a series about an unsupervised and clearly neglected child imprisoned in a rodent-infested tower block with a probably unlicensed and dangerous dog.  Social Services should have been called after the first episode.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Darius43 said:

In order to drag this thread away from body odour stories and back to eBay here is a professionally painted backscene available from the US.   Echoes of Mary Mungo and Midge (for those old enough to remember) in this artwork.

Cheers

Darius

Its not just a matter of being old enough to remember MM&M, a good few here would be TOO old to remember the programme!

Very impressionistic, and the squadron of clouds do appear to be carrying out some sort of surveillance on the buildings below. Perhaps they are the new design of Chinese Weather Balloons?

Apart from that, it only claims to be "professionally printed", for consistent colour balance. Rather than for a model railway, the simplistic nature of the prints might make them more suited for a childs room...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Mary, Mungo, and Midge, a series about an unsupervised and clearly neglected child imprisoned in a rodent-infested tower block with a probably unlicensed and dangerous dog.  Social Services should have been called after the first episode.

Maybe in 1968, now they wouldn't do anything until the inevitable happened, despite multiple reports.

It would keep numerous people in well paid jobs for another year conducting an investigation that would conclude with the tired cliché that lessons have been learnt.

I do remember the show vaguely from the seventies thought, thanks for the trip back to simpler times. 😊

The other similar kids programme of the era was Crystal Tips and Alistair, the little girl in that seems to have been the inspiration for Whitney Houston's hairstyles...😆

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its not just a matter of being old enough to remember MM&M, a good few here would be TOO old to remember the programme!

Very impressionistic, and the squadron of clouds do appear to be carrying out some sort of surveillance on the buildings below. Perhaps they are the new design of Chinese Weather Balloons?

Apart from that, it only claims to be "professionally printed", for consistent colour balance. Rather than for a model railway, the simplistic nature of the prints might make them more suited for a childs room...

Simple shapes can work if done right, 

hopper_corner.jpg.aa03407e9d885addfaeba30632a1e8c4.jpg

US National Gallery of Art.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Simple shapes can work if done right

"done right" is the operative phrase.  In a similar vein....

image.png.e2fa860e986d80b6bf08a98c8c08f303.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_to_Work

There's even a blimp hovering overhead!

According to the Wikipedia captioning, the two vehicles to the right of the painting are identified as buses/trolleybuses.  From the streamlined shape, I'd think they're more likely to be trams, though on closer inspection they appear ro have wheelarches.

Edited by Hroth
Added stuff.
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

13 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Cheers

Darius

Does the picture make anyone else's eyes go blurry? (I struggle to focus on the right hand building, and the clouds are something else!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

My eyes!

So, it's £100 an issue and you could be "entitled" to purchase up to 8 issues? Doesn't even have real coins in it. Plus it's HO.

To coin (!) a phrase, what's not to like? 😈

That 8 issues bit was fairly well embedded....

And that's £100 an issue, PLUS another £10 for delivery. £880. Gulp!

If you really wanted a railway themed Platinum Jubilee collectors piece, Rails are offering Hornbys R30231 for only £579 including delivery.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195729762039

At least you end up with a model of a real locomotive...

• Agree 5

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Maybe in 1968, now they wouldn't do anything until the inevitable happened, despite multiple reports.

It would keep numerous people in well paid jobs for another year conducting an investigation that would conclude with the tired cliché that lessons have been learnt.

I do remember the show vaguely from the seventies thought, thanks for the trip back to simpler times. 😊

The other similar kids programme of the era was Crystal Tips and Alistair, the little girl in that seems to have been the inspiration for Whitney Houston's hairstyles...😆

Must admit to not liking Crystal Tips and Alistair at the time. Sounds a wee bit druggy today??

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

5 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I just got a brand new Heljan peak they commissioned for £142. Seems they are hoping to make the discount back of selling this!

• Like 2