EBay madness

Marcyg

43 minutes ago, Weeny Works said:

It's the same Rocket Railways that has the absolute cheek to make numerous videos moaning about the cost of model railways & poke fun at Hornby. 

Complete & utter hypocrites. 

They also admit they charge you for items that most people would chuck 

A Weetabix wagon missing it's "... lid."?? Roof, old boy, - roof!

• Funny 3

We've heard of The sword of Arthur, The spear of Longinus, now we have The Chisel of Mendacious.

Any suggestions as to what it looks like? Are there any pre Raphaelite paintings or 16th century woodcuts? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, TinTracks said:

7 pictures of the same side? The seller was clearly too busy to take pictures of the rest of the loco.😉

Regards, Rich

I think I prefer the term lazy rather than busy.  But I have noticed that quite a lot of eay sellers don't bother to take the loco out of its box.  EBay could be said to be encouraging this practice with its eccentric notion that a product ceases to be "new" the moment its box has so much as been opened.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I think I prefer the term lazy rather than busy.  But I have noticed that quite a lot of eay sellers don't bother to take the loco out of its box.  EBay could be said to be encouraging this practice with its eccentric notion that a product ceases to be "new" the moment its box has so much as been opened.

I mean. I picked up a 2nd hand 0-4-0 Bagnall (with the tamed newer chassis) for £25 & mated it with the bodyshell from a Class 06 I picked up for £10 years ago. 

Runs perfectly and for £64 less than the listing 😆😆

Edited by Weeny Works
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That sounds like something from a chap who only bathes once a year.... 🤮

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

,,,,,,,,and?

Mike.

attends model railway exhibitions in an anorak, wearing a bulky rucksack, etc...

• Funny 5

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

We've heard of The sword of Arthur, The spear of Longinus, now we have The Chisel of Mendacious.

Any suggestions as to what it looks like? Are there any pre Raphaelite paintings or 16th century woodcuts? 

I'm picturing the erect, tugid thumb from a festering, yellow Marigold glove!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, TinTracks said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325629425926?hash=item4bd106b906:g:FeMAAOSwL8lkRX9N&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwOpWS%2BQ4J6Oq8%2FHP6Uym40

Chance of a lifetime here. A box full of rusty junk for only £50. To be fair to the seller they are described as ''sun faded with various rusts'' ! 

This is the sort of stuff I would expect to pay a quid apiece for to use for overlay projects or resprays

Why not list them at 99p auction and be glad of what you get. Duh.

Regards, Rich

I'm surprised the vendor didn't list them as "scrapyard coaches" for twice the price. They missed a trick there...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

attends model railway exhibitions in an anorak, wearing a bulky rucksack, etc...

with a 3ft length of flexitrack protruding from the rucksack

positioned in such a way as to gouge out the eye of any one

#in close proximity, irrespective of their height. 

• Funny 6

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

And I'm sure most of us can name one of these guys!

If any of you were one of the two chaps busy ferreting at Bolton toy and train fair who caused a young lady beside you to actually retch with your unsanitary habits (and you did notice!) That was my other half....😁

Edited by MrWolf
Grammar
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That sounds like something from a chap who only bathes once a year.... 🤮

Whether he needs to or not...

When I worked in the Royal Mail sorting office, there was a chap called Rose, can't recall his first name now, but he was not appropriately named, had a serious personal hygeine issue.  It seemed strange that he had a rather attractive wife who seemed to love him, and there was nothing wrong with him personality wise, though he was overweight (I was and am not in any position to criticise him on that account).  But the smell was awful, more than just not bathing, there was I think a fungal or body fluid element to it. 

Had the misfortune to be standing next to him on a hot Saturday pm overtime, which was theoretically until 22.00 but the accepted norm was that, once the last bag was off the sorting floor, we'd be sent home, about half six on this occasion.  The olfactory presence followed my out to the car, hanging on my clothes, and I drove home with all the windows open, ripped my clothes off and chucked them in the washing maching as soon as I got in, and jumped under a hot shower straight away.  'Bout an hour later, sorted,  clean, reasonably pleasant-smelling, 'Lil Kaz (girlfriend/partner at the time) fit and fettled in a posh frock with off-the-shoulder numbers or some such, and new hairdo, off to the Maenllwyd, a very pleasant spot for a summer evening beer though sadly 'improved' and a restaurant nowadays, a mountain pub about 20 minutes drive away (a plus point of living on the edges of Cardiff is that there are mountain pubs 20 minutes drive away).  As we got into the car, 'Lil Kaz pipes up with 'what the ferc is that smell'!  It hung around in the car for several weeks, overpowering any attempts with air fresheners, horrible, clinging miasma.  That was the end of our Maenllwyd adventure for that evening; we came back in, had another shower each, changed into clean clothes, and went over the road to The Retreat, Llanederyn estate pub but the beer was ok and there was usually entertainment in the form of a punch-up. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I had a similar experience with a young lad I worked with, he was your regular joggers trainers hoody teenager, job, steady girlfriend etc and I never really noticed until I had to take him with me down to Westlands at Yeovil. 

Anyone who got in the van (almost new Mercedes Sprinter) for the next two weeks was heaving. The smell was sickly and miasmic, made worse by the hot weather. Lots of DecoSol and Febreze later it was okay. For a while I was tempted to set the van on fire because I could smell it on my own clothes.

• Friendly/supportive 2