EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Not to mention sticky labels and fragile vintage pant jobs!

The sticky labels on magazines are the worst. I've learnt the hard way, to just ignore them, better than tearing the magazine.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I guess it's what we've grown up with? I have no issues with motor growl from vintage mechanisms - part of thair character!?

Motor growl?  Airfix and early Hornby Prairies sound more like coffee grinders!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's another favourite, along with big labels stuck on those much valued boxes!

Go to newsagent, buy a tin of lighter petrol, "Ronsonol" is common. Soak any label with the petrol. It eats the glue. You peel off clean and wipe away any residue with a few drops on a tissue. Evaporates clear. Voila! No paint loss, tears or damage.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Motor growl?  Airfix and early Hornby Prairies sound more like coffee grinders!

Fill the body with a washing up sponge or change the grease!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Back to eBay , I bought that princess converted to a tank engine which got a bit of a roasting on here for a maiden bid . Someone on here was interested in the body shell after I’d had the chassis bits. If still interested then pm me with an address and I’ll post. In fairness it’s been done nicely and it could do with a bunker adding maybe from a couple of Triang 3 mts  and it’s a good representation of a 2 6 4 t . The boiler and front end have all been cut to the right length. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, russell price said:

Back to eBay , I bought that princess converted to a tank engine which got a bit of a roasting on here for a maiden bid . Someone on here was interested in the body shell after I’d had the chassis bits. If still interested then pm me with an address and I’ll post. In fairness it’s been done nicely and it could do with a bunker adding maybe from a couple of Triang 3 mts  and it’s a good representation of a 2 6 4 t . The boiler and front end have all been cut to the right length. 

Any pictures? Or thread page?

• Like 1

Just now, 33C said:

I like it, that needs finishing!

Pm me and it can join your superb Triang Conversions, couple of bunkers from 3 mts should give you  the bits. I’ll send a pile of chassis bits too. I only wanted some of the motion, but used other chassis bits. I’ve a couple of damaged princess bodies too if you can use them. 

• Like 2

I've just read an eBay alert that I received yesterday at 15:23 for a Hornby TT:120 The Scotsman set - it has sold already for £229.00 plus £10 postage. First one I've seen...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-TT120-The-Scotsman-Train-Set-/185721825355?mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=44039f203dba49b898331a0d581e1b0b&bu=43179658310&ut=RU&exe=0&ext=0&osub=-1~1&crd=20230102082248&segname=11021&nma=true&si=WbqLe%2Bh3hpW7PhJmacCRBjjStMg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

EDIT: I think the price direct from Hornby would be something like £183.59 with the TT:120 club 15% discount and free postage but the first two batches of ~2000 sets have already sold out

(I posted this already on the "Hornby announce TT:120 thread" - I know some people read both threads so apologies for the duplicate post)

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Porfuera said:

I've just read an eBay alert that I received yesterday at 15:23 for a Hornby TT:120 The Scotsman set - it has sold already for £229.00 plus £10 postage. First one I've seen...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-TT120-The-Scotsman-Train-Set-/185721825355?mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=44039f203dba49b898331a0d581e1b0b&bu=43179658310&ut=RU&exe=0&ext=0&osub=-1~1&crd=20230102082248&segname=11021&nma=true&si=WbqLe%2Bh3hpW7PhJmacCRBjjStMg%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

EDIT: I think the price direct from Hornby would be something like £183.59 with the TT:120 club 15% discount and free postage but the first two batches of ~2000 sets have already sold out

(I posted this already on the "Hornby announce TT:120 thread" - apologies for the duplicate post - I know some people read both threads)

Have to say, TT:120 as 'the next big thing' does nothing for me.

• Agree 4

19 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

TT in the UK has always been a bit niche?

It hasn't existed as such in the UK - it has been mainly TT3 (around 1:101-ish scale) which runs on various gauges of track from 12mm (1:120 scale) up to finescale somewhere around 14mm+ (I'm sure someone will correct me and/or fill in the exact numbers). The 3mm Society caters for this.

1:120 scale started in the US (it is 1/10th inch to the foot) and is mostly found in Germany and Eastern Europe now. Hornby's and others' latest venture is the first UK outline TT:120. It is (pretty much) exact scale-to-gauge and compatible with the rest of the world's TT:120 if someone wants to mix trains from the UK and Europe (e.g. Channel Tunnel traffic assuming the models are available) or perhaps run UK locos that are found in Europe (not my area of expertise!)

This is the sum of my knowledge from reading the "Hornby announce TT:120" thread!

EDIT: I know that " (pretty much) exact scale-to-gauge" is somewhat of an oxymoron but as far as I can work out the exact scale gauge would be 11.9583mm so 12mm is pretty close.

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ianmacc said:

I’m actually glad TT is succeeding though as I’m not one of the anti-Hornby brigade.

Thought you may appreciate my new listing, inspired by this thread 😊

D4B0110F-077C-4BAF-8DA7-0A211EEE2E91.jpeg

B0AB621D-A8C3-4F9A-8913-304CBEE12C9B.jpeg

What fun! 🤪

The couple with the centres knocked out could be ex-jukebox and will sound as if they've been played using 3" nails...  I used to use old records for clocks by inserting a cheap quartz movement through the spindle hole, it's 78s that can be moulded into ashtrays/plant pots...

(can't read the labels...)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

Clocks can be made from CDs too! We have a remake of 'Lassie' that is ideal!

Done that too...  The more repulsive the original recording the better!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1