EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I can already see what is going to happen here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175555726972

The seller will simply tape the box shut, entrust it to someone like Evri and the buyer will be the proud recipient of a crushed box of broken bits that has been rattling around loose for a week...

Thinking about this, the seller has a decent number of sales under their belt and 100% positive feedback so perhaps they may pack it properly.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Thinking about this, the seller has a decent number of sales under their belt and 100% positive feedback so perhaps they may pack it properly.

If it's spares or repairs the buyer will have low expectations presumably, so the seller has nothing to lose!

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If it's spares or repairs the buyer will have low expectations presumably, so the seller has nothing to lose!

Mike.

Still has to arrive in the condition advertised though :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

As each item isn't shown and described though he could get away with it!

Mike.

Some more photos may help the bidding, as people can see exactly what they're getting for their money or may hinder bidding, as people can see exactly what they're getting for their money:

"Box of 25 N Gauge wagons (spares or repair).

Some UK some American wagons various bits missing etc, but some will be ok to use."

The description is a perfect get out clause...

• Agree 4

On 30/12/2022 at 16:40, MrWolf said:

Actually, a close look at the pictures shows that most of the footboard ends have been broken off at some point, one end is missing altogether, the buffers are pointing in all directions. The roof and ends on one looks like it was painted in Wilko non drip gloss.

No amount of rose tinted nostalgia for our early efforts at kit building (and mine weren't much better) can justify asking the thick end of £50 for that junk.

Fiver apiece if you're feeling nostalgic...

I bought a rake of 3 at a toy fair yesterday for £4 the lot . They are fairly well built and painted! The best buy I thought was a nicely built jidenco Siphon needing a bit of attention to the roof for £1.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, russell price said:

I bought a rake of 3 at a toy fair yesterday for £4 the lot . They are fairly well built and painted! The best buy I thought was a nicely built jidenco Siphon needing a bit of attention to the roof for £1.

I think that the eBay chisellers rely on the fact that there's not a toy fair / antique sale / autojumble every day and certainly not close to the armchair and mobile phone of potential buyers.

Best buy I got was a late model Bachmann 57XX body with sprung buffers etc for £2.

Or about 7 per cent of what the eBay loco breakers are asking.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I think that the eBay chisellers rely on the fact that there's not a toy fair / antique sale / autojumble every day and certainly not close to the armchair and mobile phone of potential buyers.

Best buy I got was a late model Bachmann 57XX body with sprung buffers etc for £2.

Or about 7 per cent of what the eBay loco breakers are asking.

Indeed, when I bought the Siphon the trader says make it up to a fivers worth as I had a fiver to give him , so I added a couple of coopercraft wagons and a nice Gaiety pannier body shell and a Bachmann standard class 4 body so basically a quid an item!! I’ve plenty of old Triang Jinties so will select a tatty one with early couplings to go under the pannier!! Then 20 mins or so on another stall was a brand new still factory sealed Bachmann replacement non split chassis for £25 so I had that and got a standard class 4 now that just needs a tender.

• Like 4

Can't fault that at all. Admittedly we're picking up the kind of junk the people who spend £300 on an RTR loco look down upon, forgetting that thirty years ago, a split chassis Bachmann was pretty much state of the art and then they were sneery about old X04 or similar powered locos.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, russell price said:

The beauty of buying at a show or train fair is getting to examine closely what you intend to buy. Buying online to photos will always be risky - A photograph can indeed lie, if it's carefully composed!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Can't fault that at all. Admittedly we're picking up the kind of junk the people who spend £300 on an RTR loco look down upon, forgetting that thirty years ago, a split chassis Bachmann was pretty much state of the art and then they were sneery about old X04 or similar powered locos.

I love that lovely junk! It represents the interesting end of the hobby.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Yes indeed, I don’t really do modern rtr as I have a lovely collection of models that go back to the late 40s, running on 12v dc!! I do have an Oxford Dean goods but it can’t pull anything!!! Also on 1/2 wave power it takes off like a scalded cat, in comparison I have a prarie that utilises a Farish body on top of a hand built chassis with a Romford 7 pole flywheel motor, running the two side by side. The 70 year old loco can outperform the new one at slow speed. I think I’ve been lucky in that otherwise my Dean runs nicely which doesn’t seem to be the norm.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

The beauty of buying at a show or train fair is getting to examine closely what you intend to buy. Buying online to photos will always be risky - A photograph can indeed lie, if it's carefully composed!

Very true, there's an awful lot of stuff on eBay with photos cropped right at the edge of where there's usually trouble. Classic cars are a prime example, sills, wheel arches and door bottoms rarely make it into close up pictures. 

You know it's a nail when you ask for more pictures and get no response!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, russell price said:

Yes indeed, I don’t really do modern rtr as I have a lovely collection of models that go back to the late 40s, running on 12v dc!! I do have an Oxford Dean goods but it can’t pull anything!!! Also on 1/2 wave power it takes off like a scalded cat, in comparison I have a prarie that utilises a Farish body on top of a hand built chassis with a Romford 7 pole flywheel motor, running the two side by side. The 70 year old loco can outperform the new one at slow speed. I think I’ve been lucky in that otherwise my Dean runs nicely which doesn’t seem to be the norm.

I've got a few moderns, all DC, a Dapol GW railcar, a Bachmann Killarney and a Dukedog, all of which run like watches, but they seem to be the exception rather than the norm, given what I read on here.

The older stuff I have is a little clunky, but can usually be made to behave and I'm not afraid to upgrade and modify locos that are only fetching up to about £50. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Very true, there's an awful lot of stuff on eBay with photos cropped right at the edge of where there's usually trouble. Classic cars are a prime example, sills, wheel arches and door bottoms rarely make it into close up pictures. 

You know it's a nail when you ask for more pictures and get no response!

Having said that, some train fair traders can be cunning foxes too! I've had a couple of items where, on getting home, I've discovered that the price label had been carefully placed to hide a problem!

• Like 4

I recently bought a series 2A Landrover through eBay, a  dealer initially outbid me so fine, I’ll keep looking through the dross till something I like comes up, anyway long story short it reappeared and I ignored it as I wasn’t buying it out of principle off the dealer who outbid me, few weeks later it reappeared with a different seller at a figure which was in line with my original bid plus the VAT. (It’s a12 seater safari) so I still bought it, however someone had not calculated the vat from the original seller was to be added!!  Talking to the chap I bought it off it seems the dealer had to lose vat by the sound of it. Upshot is I got the motor at my money whilst the get rich quick merchants came unstuck. Over the VAT issue. 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 5

6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I've got a few moderns, all DC, a Dapol GW railcar, a Bachmann Killarney and a Dukedog, all of which run like watches, but they seem to be the exception rather than the norm, given what I read on here.

The older stuff I have is a little clunky, but can usually be made to behave and I'm not afraid to upgrade and modify locos that are only fetching up to about £50. 

I guess it's what we've grown up with? I have no issues with motor growl from vintage mechanisms - part of thair character!?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Having said that, some train fair traders can be cunning foxes too! I've had a couple of items where, on getting home, I've discovered that the price label had been carefully placed to hide a problem!

That's a favourite trick amongst the purveyors of vintage Dinky toys et al. 

Always be suspicious of a seemingly "near mint" example with a price label firmly stuck on the roof rather than underneath!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I also have a Bachmann Dukedog and it is a lovely loco which can just about manage a reasonable length train. Mind I prefer building re building kits so most of my locos are heavy old beasts

. I’ll have to start a layout thread where I can share some pictures and knowledge.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

At each selling the item has, the bigger the price label gets!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I guess it's what we've grown up with? I have no issues with motor growl from vintage mechanisms - part of thair character!?

I don't mind the growl, it's the setting off and stopping with a jolt I have a problem with and that can usually yfixed

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's a favourite trick amongst the purveyors of vintage Dinky toys et al. 

Always be suspicious of a seemingly "near mint" example with a price label firmly stuck on the roof rather than underneath!

Not to mention sticky labels and fragile vintage pant jobs!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2