EBay madness

Marcyg

Ebay should come up with a new category:

New and unopened, may have been roughly assembled and kicked round a damp garage for forty years...

I'm sure that you will all be able to come up with a two word phrase which encompasses that?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

New and unopened, may have been roughly assembled and kicked round a damp garage for forty years...

I'm sure that you will all be able to come up with a two word phrase which encompasses that?

Totally FUBAR'd

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

The dreaded two up, two down.... (privy in the back yard and tin bath in lieu of  a proper bathroom!)

As I recall, the TC range consisted of The EMD F series look (something) like, the CPR 4-6-2 2335 (a not unreasonable model*), the Alco? B-B switcher, NZ 4-6-4T, the double-ended (VR) diesel (gauge errors on both these two) double ended electric (flight of fancy), steeple cab 0-4-0 electric and a Budd railcar. Later incarnations brought the first & last in CNR and CRR liveries; Passenger cars consisted of baggage, passenger/diner, vista-dome and observation cars and a second series of more Canadian outline (both series short in length) and freight cars of various types (and scales). During Tri-ang's historical period we had a 'typical' 19th century wood burning Mogul (boasting the name 'Davy Crockett'**) a passemger car and 4 wheel bobber caboose. Scale was somewhat variable throughout the range, from H0 upwards. (I may have missed some - I didn't count the 0-4-0 shunter as leaving off the buffers does not make a British model into Transcontinental, whatever Meccano Ltd. may have thought (Trix also indulged in this aberration, though theirs was of German origins).

Many appeared in 'Battlespace' guise.

*   Provided one avoids the acetate examples (the tender is always humped for a start). It later gained the name 'Hiawatha' for some unknown reason.

** I have a recollection of a 'Minehaha' version in yellow, but can find no confirmation. Did I imagine it?

Should have posted earlier, but seems to have been lost in cyberspace.

(Possibly something to do with taking the dogs out....)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

'Foot soiled'! 🤓

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 40152 said:

Apparently brand new, unopened and all that eBay flannel. So what’s not to like for £22?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115631114332?

Mrs RR added a drop too much cooking sherry to the mince pie filling this year, I reckon…

50 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

If that's 4 out of 5 condition, I shudder to think what a 1 would be like.

Mike.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

One word will suffice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

the double-ended (VR) diesel (gauge errors on both these two) double ended electric (flight of fancy),

Not entirely a 'flight of fancy', but a version of the B Class with pantographs. The B Class had so many faults (especially bogies), so was it actually a B Class? It was no worse as a model of the L Class.

https://www.victorianrailways.net/motive power/lelec.html

Probably would have been far more sales if they'd produced it in blue & yellow, instead of green & orange.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I thought a plough was laid out diagonally, with bent metal blades to create the furrows?  As Mr. Vigor states it's a roller. But, hey what would I know about old farming techniques living in a town!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PieGuyRob said:

I thought a plough was laid out diagonally, with bent metal blades to create the furrows?  As Mr. Vigor states it's a roller. But, hey what would I know about old farming techniques living in a town!

Who cares? It's a "LOVELY ITEM" whereas most of this seller's items only rate a "LOOK".

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Not entirely a 'flight of fancy', but a version of the B Class with pantographs. The B Class had so many faults (especially bogies), so was it actually a B Class? It was no worse as a model of the L Class.

https://www.victorianrailways.net/motive power/lelec.html

Probably would have been far more sales if they'd produced it in blue & yellow, instead of green & orange.

Please forgive my lack of knowledge of Australian trains (it is rather far away). I suppose Tri-ang's effort could pass for the 'L' (as long as you can't count beyond 4). If they could pass off their Pacific as a Princess....

The dogspedition I used as an excuse was rather eventful. My daughter and I decided to take them down the hill along the old road, as it was warm and sunny. Off the lead, they shot off into the distance as usual. Eventually we got as far as we had intended to go and called them back - no sign of them and no response! Eventually they were found stuck half way up the hillside and unable to get down due to the steep slope and large quantities of brambles at the bottom. This involved some mountain climbing to find them a way down. Lewis came at once, Arran found some fields that still required exploration!

All this time there were several griffons circling overhead - we suspected this had something to do with the unfortunate deceased dog* by the side of the road.

* I was informed that it was very smelly. Luckily, old age means I have lost my sense of smell!

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Think I'd build one from a kit, its cheaper and it won't look as bad as that...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Not perfect, paint job's a bit rough (the previous owner probably masked the join between chocolate & cream, and the paint bled at the raised detail) but at least all the buffers and footboards are there.  Like all Ratio models they are delicate in places and bits will fall off if you look hard at them.  Price is a bit salty, but not by The Goster's standards, and they look to be square and wheels in line, so should be good runners.  I was in the market for a couple of these for my miners' workmans a while back, and would have been considering these if there were no cheaper alternatives.  I had no intention of mithering myself with the faffy and stressful assembly of these from kits, and was happy to buy ready-made examples, but in the end had to buy kits to go with a Third I already had.

I overlay the the footboards on these coaches with real treewood footboards made from Burger King coffee stirrers cut in half lengthways, rebates cut out for the axleboxes and superglued to them and on top of the kit plastic ones.   Not scale, but acceptable on a model that doesn't have separate brass doorknobs or grabrails, easily passes the 'two foot rule', and it makes for a vastly more robust arrangement, taking the load off the very flimsy Ratio footboard brackets.  I also provide compartment dividers; my workmans train is heavily weathered and prototypically filthy, including the windows, so not much point in seats but the sightlines between compartment windows need to be blocked, and as much ballast as I can manage improves running.  My patent lamp brackets (cut down bent up Rexel no.13 staples) are used as well, and they are on the waiting list for cast whitemetal buffers as I'm fully expecting to lose some of the very flimsy Ratio plastics just in the course of normal handling...  The 1950s 4-coach Glyncorrwg train which 'inspires' mine was close-coupled but  with an all-third strengthener, made up BT/T/BT/T, but mine is T/BT/T, the last T being sometimes omitted for the lunch time working.

I am of a generation for whom the assembly of a set of Ratio 4-wheelers was a rite of modelling passage, the next step after you'd managed Airfix kits, and the painting of them in fully lined out livery (which I never attempted) was another.  Unneccessarily difficult kits, fiddly and faffy, make up into a vehicle that is far too light for good running (mind, this is true of all plastic kits), don't like them, give me Parkside, Cambrian, or Coopercraft anyday!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

Your right about Airfix to Ratio. And then hooking them up to my Triang Hornby pannier or my old Triang jinty. (One side was painted choc 'n' cream, the other maroon as I could only see one side at a time!) I remember almost giving my mum a coniption fit when she thought I had tunnelled through the wall, only to be reassured that It was a mirror!

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

Actually, a close look at the pictures shows that most of the footboard ends have been broken off at some point, one end is missing altogether, the buffers are pointing in all directions. The roof and ends on one looks like it was painted in Wilko non drip gloss.

No amount of rose tinted nostalgia for our early efforts at kit building (and mine weren't much better) can justify asking the thick end of £50 for that junk.

Fiver apiece if you're feeling nostalgic...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2