EBay madness

Marcyg

22 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

eBay seems to have entered into the season of giving, as suddenly it seems to be giving me multiple examples of madness to share …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114930136004

The main heading leads with “Bachmann Spectrum”

FAIL

Nowt “Bachmann Spectrum” to see here as far as I can tell…

Description states “Professionally assembled and modified from a Blackwoods Miniatures or similar detailing kit”

FAIL

If it was “professionally assembled” then surely I shouldn’t be able to see the joins? (I can)

It definitely wasn’t professionally painted! (Blind man on a running horse can tell that)

”Blackwoods Miniatures”?! Okay, he uses a ‘get out of jail free’ card by stating “or similar” … well, it would have to be that, wouldn’t it, as the ‘producer of high quality kits for narrow gauge prototypes’ (to use their own website description) is BACKWOODS MINIATURES

If you are going to bullcarp* in your description, at least do the research to get the company name right or else it looks as if you are trying to suggest that you are referring to a well known high quality product company without actually putting their name and then being called out for … oh, hang on, that’s exactly what you are doing!

Basically, what we have here is a run of the mill On30 narrow gauge “pug bash” (or 03-bash, to be pedantic) along the lines of the late Howard Clarke, but somehow being elevated to a level of quality and expertise to demand the £274.50 asked!!

This definitely fits the madness criteria!

HOURS OF FUN!

* deliberately misspelt to avoid RMWeb profanity filters … you know what I really mean!

PS

I’m in one of those moods… I think I shall email the seller and suggest his decimal point is misplaced one place to the right

I do like the ship's railings, or are they Brighton pier?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

More importantly, what is the guy doing to/with the milk churn?😉

He's been watching too many episodes of Find it. Fix it. Flog it. where they planish anything that doesn't have wheels and can't be powder coated.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

11 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Same seller as above …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133903900608

£174.50 - maybe for an actual Bachmann Baldwin tank model?! (Although £20 dearer than the website listing!!) I’ve already emailed the seller informing him that he is blatantly misrepresenting what he is selling on this item (getting annoyed with him now)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133831843186

Well, this one is a modified Bachmann Spectrum model, although not with a “Blackwoods Miniatures” detailing kit! 🙄 See previous…

Described (in bold) as Excellent the description continues “The locomotive is working but it has a cracked gear so it shudders when it moves” (how can that be described as “excellent”?!)

He then says (encouragingly) “Replacement gear parts to fix are available from Bachmann USA. With a little fettling you will be away with an unusual locomotive.”

And he will be away with £200 of your hard earned, laughing all the way to the bank! “With a little fettling”? If it needs “fettling” it should not be listed at that kind of price!

For your amusement, the seller antiquetoys1 appears to have many (many) more examples of massively overpriced models for sale…

Enjoy!

First one looks like an old whitemetal kit on one of the many German N gauge chassis.

The second? If he wanted that much money and it's a simple repair, surely he would fix it himself? Oh yes, it's just that you have to order the bits from America, so there's postage and VAT and if UK customs feel like charging another £30 or so, they will.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Hroth said:

You can delete the "?" too...  😀

Since I’ve read this I’ve been making sure to edit the links down properly - many thanks (I may nip back through previous posts and do the same to reduce their screen acreage!)

Steve S

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Since I’ve read this I’ve been making sure to edit the links down properly - many thanks (I may nip back through previous posts and do the same to reduce their screen acreage!)

Steve S

It does make things look a bit more tidy....  🤪

The madness is intense this evening, if the Bachmann gas mechanical shunter were painted overall matt black with odd silver highlights, it would fit in with Hornby steampunk!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

It does make things look a bit more tidy....  🤪

The madness is intense this evening, if the Bachmann gas mechanical shunter were painted overall matt black with odd silver highlights, it would fit in with Hornby steampunk!

I presume you mean fit in the bin with Hornby steampunk?

• Agree 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

She appears every year around this time

with festering festive wagons - cheapo Hornby jobs sprayed and sprinkled with glitter/fake snow and various cheapo Xmas “things” (designed for use in crating cards) randomly hot glued on…

I can only assume that she makes enough from this each year to do it all

over again!

Personally I am in total agreement with @MrWolf regarding these items!

Bah! Humbug!!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I quite like them, lot of work gone into the designs. But, it's still railway modelling....right?

A layout comprising these would be something to behold and rather fun....bit pricey though!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 33C said:

I quite like them, lot of work gone into the designs. But, it's still railway modelling....right?

A layout comprising these would be something to behold and rather fun....bit pricey though!

Craft your own!

Perhaps a thread in Ebay Topics* for next Christmas, post photos of your own themed wagons...

Hmmmm...

A Lowmac with a wrapped mint sweet.

Bah! Humbug!!!

*Altered upon mature reflection...

Edited by Hroth
an Idea. And another...
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

UPDATE

antiquetoys1 is registered as a business seller, and is otherwise known as Greg James Diffen

Named and shamed … anybody know him? (Anybody want to admit to knowing him?)

Someone earlier mentioned “son of Gostude” … maybe this is him?!

No son of, it is indeed the great man himself, in one of his many cloaks, although they all have a common denominator!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

53 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Craft your own!

Perhaps a thread in Wheeltappers for next Christmas, post photos of your own themed wagons...

Hmmmm...

Bah! Humbug!!!

Thought a Lowmac with a Bounty bar was more your thing? Withdrawn, weathered and on the scrap line, of course…

🤣

Edited by 40152
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, 40152 said:

Thought a Lowmac with a Bounty bar was more your thing? Withdrawn, weathered and on the scrap line, of course…

🤣

With clumps of nasal hair sprouting all over!

Nahhhhh....  I'll stick to a striped comestible...

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

She appears every year around this time

with festering festive wagons - cheapo Hornby jobs sprayed and sprinkled with glitter/fake snow and various cheapo Xmas “things” (designed for use in crating cards) randomly hot glued on…

I can only assume that she makes enough from this each year to do it all

over again!

Personally I am in total agreement with @MrWolf regarding these items!

Bah! Humbug!!

Next Christmas, members of the 'ebay madness' thread might compete in a competition to create the most hideous Christmas-themed wagon! Anything would go, no holds barred! Other members could offer counselling afterwards should the need arise.

• Funny 7

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Bah! Humbug!!!

You could invent the TOPS code BAH and mount the aforesaid sweet(s) on it! 

That's one for the too-clever by half ******* like yours truly perhaps!

• Funny 5

21 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

If you like this, take a peek at the rest of her seasonal offerings! Nose hair scrap will be forgiven!

She has sold 11 this month already so people like them. Good business. 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1