EBay madness

Marcyg

24 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Weathered by the local farmer's muck spreader by the looks of things.

Amazing how rusty fibreglass gets?

You beat me to it, I was thinking looking at the pictures, the cab fronts are fibreglass, how can they rust? Also no HST power cars were scrapped in BR blue livery, the ones which have been scrapped, all had post-privatisation liveries.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

More importantly, what is the guy doing to/with the milk churn?😉

Beat me to that.

But why do the blokes on ladders look as if they're cleaning the windows?

Just had another look.

At least it hasn't started sprouting nasal hair...

Edited by Hroth
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

My challenge for 2023 must be to sell something for so much money that it makes it to this thread 😉

Wishful thinking, Merry Christmas everyone.

How about buying, is £25 including postage for a Ratio open C too much?

Mike.

Asking for a friend.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, The Johnster said:

But at least you can see the poke...

Try this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314275985098?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=t4Ip7138SQ2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=mAE25Fz1QpK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Oddly enough there are plenty of the same for random prices so if can't be that RARE...

Anyways I thought it would be interesting to see what the pervayour of the Amazing 4588 monstrosity would think maybe...

Edited by John Besley
Schpelling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Those do tend to fetch that kind of money, it's a pity that whoever owns Ratio this week can't get some new moulds made, preferably with the W irons as part of the solebar mouldings though!

Some instructions would be helpful too, the delights of D/C brake gear are completely alien to me, and Ratio aren't filling in any blanks!

I think I need a friend with a camera and tape measure to visit the SVR!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Some instructions would be helpful too, the delights of D/C brake gear are completely alien to me, and Ratio aren't filling in any blanks!

I think I need a friend with a camera and tape measure to visit the SVR!

Mike.

I think that the original instructions didn't translate well from the original Mayan / Hindi / Hebrew stone tablets.

I have three that I was batch building and the brake gear is just a PITA. The old MAJ L&Y long wheelbase tube wagons and machinery trucks that had various wheelbase and braking options fell together by comparison.

That's another couple of old kits that usually cause a scrap on eBay.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Have to say I find some of the old Ratio kits seem to have been designed to be deliberately and needlessly difficult and fiddly to build, and often contain very fine plastic parts that are next to impossible to get off the sprues or to handle without destroying them.  I don’t subscribe to the ‘difficult = more satisfaction when you’ve built it’ theory; sure, some things are difficult anyway, but that comes with the territory if you venture beyond the straightforward RTR/RTP envelope, and doesn’t mean that they need to be made worse than they have to be.  I avoid Ratio as much as I can, part of my general policy of avoiding what I know will cause me stress, though I do have a 3-coach set of Dean 4-wheelers as a miners’ workman’s.  Footboards and brackets replaced with bent staples and cut lengthways coffee stirrers; bit thick but doesn’t disintegrate if you give it a hard look…

By contrast, kits from the original Parkside range, as well as the old Airfix, currently Dapol Kitmaster, Cambrian, Five 79, and Coopercraft if you can get them, go together easily enough, and adequately fulfill what is to my mind the purpose of a kit, to enable a modeller to provide an item to RTR standard for a lower cost by assembling and finishing the model his/her self.  

Care still needs to be taken in assembly of such kits to ensure good appearance and running; bodies need to be square and level and it is vital to ensure that the floor, which is usually the structural basis for both body and chassis, is flat.  Sideframes need to be carefully aligned to the floor ends and located properly against the ends of the cross-members moulded under the floor so that all wheels sit level on the track, and as much ballast as possible positioned as low down and central as possible is needed for steady running, which sometimes leads to problems hiding it on open wagons without loads.  How one builds an unloaded Kitmaster Lowmac as anything other than a siding lurker is beyond what the wit of The Johnster wots…

It comes down to cost-benefit analysis sometimes.  Taking 16ton minerals as an illustrative example,Kitmaster 16ton mineral costs about a third of the Bachmann RTR equivalent (the only RTR correct length and wheelbase), and a Parky closer to half.  All are pretty good representations and spot on for scale, and the cost difference if you are thinking about a 60-wagon rake not inconsiderable.  But it is less significant for smaller BLT layouts, and given that owners of layouts capable of handling 60-wagon rakes are usually either individually or collectively in a position to purchase 60 Bachmanns and still put a dinner on the table, they may well consider that building the kits take too much of their costed time.  I once foolishly volunteered to batch-build a 30-wagon rake of what were then Airfix kit 16ton minerals for a club layout; never again despite that I’d made up a body assembly jig, or that these are shake-the-box easy.  An evening assembling one is fun, a production line is torture.  And as for numbering…

Something else that closes the cost-benefit gap for Bachmann 16tonners, and more so for Oxford XPOs, and for RTR in general, is eBay, and although though this source is probably more bother than it’s worth for the 60-wagon rake customers, it has, along with kits, served me well!  But you’ve got to know a little about what you’re  

buying to avoid ending up with innaccurate older and poorer toolings.  My advice to newbies is to learn what an NEM tension lock coupler looks like and don’t buy anything that hadn’t got one irrespective of how cheap it is!  Another consideration is empty open wagons or wagons with removable loads, where interior detail and ballasting has to be taken into account; again, RTR has benefits to be taken into account. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Those do tend to fetch that kind of money, it's a pity that whoever owns Ratio this week can't get some new moulds made, preferably with the W irons as part of the solebar mouldings though!

The Ratio Open C was no longer in production when I first started building wagon kits as a teenager over forty years ago. Perhaps the deficiencies of the kit were already apparent in the 1970s and it was thought wisest to retire it then?

I gather Ratio has been owned by Peco since the mid-80s.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

You beat me to it, I was thinking looking at the pictures, the cab fronts are fibreglass, how can they rust? Also no HST power cars were scrapped in BR blue livery, the ones which have been scrapped, all had post-privatisation liveries.

I believe the ones scrapped after Southall and Ladbroke Grove were in Swallow? Only one scrapped in blue is the second prototype although that's the reversed grey and blue of course.

Edited by Bucoops
Ladbroke Grove was in GWR
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, John Besley said:

Try this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314275985098?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=t4Ip7138SQ2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=mAE25Fz1QpK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Oddly enough there are plenty of the same for random prices so if can't be that RARE...

Anyways I thought it would be interesting to see what the pervayour of the Amazing 4588 monstrosity would think maybe...

Now, why does that look like someone giving 'the finger' ("I hate it when it does that!")?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's another couple of old kits that usually cause a scrap on eBay.

... and usually just get traded back and forth by traders, who keep adding their mark up! It's like a reverse pyramid scheme: the last one in the chain is the mug whose final mark up puts the object beyond anyone's pocket!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

How one builds an unloaded Kitmaster Lowmac as anything other than a siding lurker is beyond what the wit of The Johnster wots…

I weighed an early *Dapol Lowmac with pieces of thin lead sheet Araldited underneath the floor between the cross members. I also fitted white metal buffers which gave just enough weight to keep it on the tracks. *The kit also came with 12mm spoked wheels which were far to big so they went into the spares box. I used Hornby car carrier wheelsets which are ideal.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175536539698

Maybe not “madness”, but certainly a slightly dubious description to explain what looks like glue smears/damage in photo 4 …

”Headcode version, headcode box on one end has letters distorted- often just like the real thing.”

🙄

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh, this is definitely madness for nearly £90…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203790237337

Description says “kit/scratch built body on Hornby (made in China) chassis”

Scratch built = yes

Kit built (as per main item description) = an emphatic no (unless the “k” was a typo for “sh”)

Further description from the vendor mdtotallytrains-8 states “Not the tidiest of examples…” 

No sh1t, Sherlock! 😆

If posted in our Show us your pugbashes… thread here on RMWeb, it would garner a few “likes”, but £90?!!

Someone* is hoping bidders have maybe imbibed too much Christmas Spirit before hitting the “bid” button before realising it is Buy It Now!!

Steve S

* mdtotallytrains-8 springs to mind!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

13 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Well…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175536539698

Maybe not “madness”, but certainly a slightly dubious description to explain what looks like glue smears/damage in photo 4 …

”Headcode version, headcode box on one end has letters distorted- often just like the real thing.”

🙄

It's funny how they take obvious damage and try to 'sell' it to the unwary as some kind of legit super detailing?

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Funny 3

6 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Scratch built = yes

Kit built (as per main item description) = an emphatic no (unless the “k” was a typo for “sh”)

Further description from the vendor mdtotallytrains-8 states “Not the tidiest of examples…” 

No sh1t, Sherlock! 😆

If posted in our Show us your pugbashes… thread here on RMWeb, it would garner a few “likes”, but £90?!!

Someone* is hoping bidders have maybe imbibed too much Christmas Spirit before hitting the “bid” button before realising it is Buy It Now!!

Steve S

Been watching this one for a while - out of morbid curiosity!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Scratch built = yes

No sh1t, Sherlock! 😆

Steve S

That's been up for sale before. From the modelling without measuring contest.

Winner gets a tenner for the chassis 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

eBay seems to have entered into the season of giving, as suddenly it seems to be giving me multiple examples of madness to share …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114930136004

The main heading leads with “Bachmann Spectrum”

FAIL

Nowt “Bachmann Spectrum” to see here as far as I can tell…

Description states “Professionally assembled and modified from a Blackwoods Miniatures or similar detailing kit”

FAIL

If it was “professionally assembled” then surely I shouldn’t be able to see the joins? (I can)

It definitely wasn’t professionally painted! (Blind man on a running horse can tell that)

”Blackwoods Miniatures”?! Okay, he uses a ‘get out of jail free’ card by stating “or similar” … well, it would have to be that, wouldn’t it, as the ‘producer of high quality kits for narrow gauge prototypes’ (to use their own website description) is BACKWOODS MINIATURES

If you are going to bullcarp* in your description, at least do the research to get the company name right or else it looks as if you are trying to suggest that you are referring to a well known high quality product company without actually putting their name and then being called out for … oh, hang on, that’s exactly what you are doing!

Basically, what we have here is a run of the mill On30 narrow gauge “pug bash” (or 03-bash, to be pedantic) along the lines of the late Howard Clarke, but somehow being elevated to a level of quality and expertise to demand the £274.50 asked!!

This definitely fits the madness criteria!

HOURS OF FUN!

* deliberately misspelt to avoid RMWeb profanity filters … you know what I really mean!

PS

I’m in one of those moods… I think I shall email the seller and suggest his decimal point is misplaced one place to the right

Edited by SteveyDee68
Just realised, wrong “Howard”!!
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Same seller as above …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133903900608

£174.50 - maybe for an actual Bachmann Baldwin tank model?! (Although £20 dearer than the website listing!!) I’ve already emailed the seller informing him that he is blatantly misrepresenting what he is selling on this item (getting annoyed with him now)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133831843186

Well, this one is a modified Bachmann Spectrum model, although not with a “Blackwoods Miniatures” detailing kit! 🙄 See previous…

Described (in bold) as Excellent the description continues “The locomotive is working but it has a cracked gear so it shudders when it moves” (how can that be described as “excellent”?!)

He then says (encouragingly) “Replacement gear parts to fix are available from Bachmann USA. With a little fettling you will be away with an unusual locomotive.”

And he will be away with £200 of your hard earned, laughing all the way to the bank! “With a little fettling”? If it needs “fettling” it should not be listed at that kind of price!

For your amusement, the seller antiquetoys1 appears to have many (many) more examples of massively overpriced models for sale…

Enjoy!

UPDATE

antiquetoys1 is registered as a business seller, and is otherwise known as Greg James Diffen

Named and shamed … anybody know him? (Anybody want to admit to knowing him?)

Someone earlier mentioned “son of Gostude” … maybe this is him?!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Naming and shaming!!
  • Like 3