EBay madness

Marcyg

29 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Clearly designed by someone who saw a Sainsburys carpark and DPD distribution dept and thought why not...

It’s actually very reminiscent of those old Hornby track plans books designed precisely to get as much track in as possible! I think I have the 1978 one. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Been in a box in somebody's attic since 1967. Hornby reintroduce TT and suddenly the lightbulb goes on and someone hears the distant ring of a cash register...

I wonder how long ago the locos got cherry picked, or will they be up for sale separately?

• Agree 5

10 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

It’s actually very reminiscent of those old Hornby track plans books designed precisely to get as much track in as possible! I think I have the 1978 one. 

If all built in HD or Tri-ang track it would make like one of the old displays of all the trains and equipment available for nineteen fifty something.

I've seen a few of those at exhibitions and whilst not really my thing, I always find them impressive, just to see those old catalogue illustrations brought to life.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

One too many zeros in the price. Just looking at the pictures tells you that they've been properly taken care of.

The same way that you might take care of a rat with a shovel that is.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

3 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

And the piles of OO and N items.

A mixed bag of um...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm suspicious by default of 'job lots', an obvious way for the unscrupulous to dump rubbish on the unwary.  'Mystery bags' are even worse, as you can't even see if there's anything you might want in the collection.  It's a bit like the current fad of selling rolling stock in 'rakes'; you get, for example, 4 assorted wagons which are not related in terms of region, period, or usage, at least one of which will be a real dog like those overlength brightly coloured Hornby minerals and vans with the footboards, and which the seller cannot dump in any other way.  A rake of 4 7-plank minerals, or steel 10ton opens, or whatever, makes more sense and is a good way to build up block trains, but then you've got to renumber everything except the first one...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I'm suspicious by default of 'job lots', an obvious way for the unscrupulous to dump rubbish on the unwary.  'Mystery bags' are even worse, as you can't even see if there's anything you might want in the collection.  It's a bit like the current fad of selling rolling stock in 'rakes'; you get, for example, 4 assorted wagons which are not related in terms of region, period, or usage, at least one of which will be a real dog like those overlength brightly coloured Hornby minerals and vans with the footboards, and which the seller cannot dump in any other way.  A rake of 4 7-plank minerals, or steel 10ton opens, or whatever, makes more sense and is a good way to build up block trains, but then you've got to renumber everything except the first one...

It's a cynical way to get a bit extra for the one item that's (possibly) worth having, or starting an auction right near the top of the most valuable items maximum, in the belief that the buyer will bid up, thinking that they can dispose of the items they don't want and make their money back. It's the temptation they're selling. 

Anyone wanting quantity over quality will drop out of the auction below £5 anyway.

I made the mistake of bidding on a job lot of kit built wagons once. They looked okay, but turned out to be junk, nicely painted etc, but they wouldn't run, having been built in such a way that the wheels barely rotated. Obviously weeded out of a collection or larger job lot.

All of them were eventually binned, I salvaged the wheels and rooves, that was about it.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

But at least you can see the poke...

And you want the poke, then you encounter all the circling gannets who are after ALL the pigs to split up, mark up and resell. Wish there were more BIN opportunites for those customers dissillusioned by 'the trade' and its ways.

• Agree 3

47 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's a cynical way to get a bit extra for the one item that's (possibly) worth having, or starting an auction right near the top of the most valuable items maximum, in the belief that the buyer will bid up, thinking that they can dispose of the items they don't want and make their money back. It's the temptation they're selling. 

Anyone wanting quantity over quality will drop out of the auction below £5 anyway.

I made the mistake of bidding on a job lot of kit built wagons once. They looked okay, but turned out to be junk, nicely painted etc, but they wouldn't run, having been built in such a way that the wheels barely rotated. Obviously weeded out of a collection or larger job lot.

All of them were eventually binned, I salvaged the wheels and rooves, that was about it.

I guess that's always the danger of online auctions where you don't get to examine and handle the stock for sale - why, pre-covid, I never bought unseen online. 

• Like 1

Luckily, it wasn't a large amount of money, about £20 IIRC. It taught me to take anything kit built with a pinch of salt, there's often a good reason it's being sold. Ask a lot of questions and be certain not to delete the answers! 

As for dealers and job lots, they don't like it when you use their tactics on them. Spot the object you are fairly confident you can get £350 for, (the rest is an unknown) and offer £250 cash for the lot, saying that of course you need to make a profit, you're in business, but does the seller want the hassle of identifying and individually selling all that junk?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

My challenge for 2023 must be to sell something for so much money that it makes it to this thread 😉

Wishful thinking, Merry Christmas everyone.

I think secretky most of us wan't to "star" in this thread for one reason for another. Or is that just me? :D

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Erm…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282789635671

How much?! For set track points and not even a run around loop?!

Madness!

HOURS OF FUN!

PS

Finally the penny has dropped about deleting everything after the ? In eBay links!! 

Edited by SteveyDee68
Eureka!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Erm…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282789635671?

How much?! For set track points and not even a run around loop?!

Madness!

HOURS OF FUN!

PS

Finally the penny has dropped about deleting everything after the ? In eBay links!! 

You can delete the "?" too...  😀

Soooooo....   for £1,600 you get 5 points, the equivalent of about 5 yards of flexitrack, some basic scenery and delivery is £110 extra.  And I wonder if the vendor has ever visited Goathland Station?

Looks nothing like their effort, even with the planted resin building....

1652932189_GoathlandStation.jpg.c144b56bfe0de7f4335ccc34eccb6231.jpg

Goathland Station NYMR

Built to exhibition standard.

As in "how not to build a layout"?   🤪

Edited by Hroth
just a bit more
  • Like 5