EBay madness

Marcyg

24 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'd agree where it's just a scenic section plonked down in the middle of nowhere but when there's an actual function, say something industrial or a connection between canal and railway and they're designed and constructed with as much consideration as the railway, then they add to the scene. The cliche is when they're just plonked in somewhere unlikely. But that's the case with a lot of things.

I guess I regard a 'canal' on most model railways in much the same way as a 'bus on a bridge'; a flasher 'hidden' in a bush (the location of which is known only to the layout builder who shares it with those he believes will be amused - nudge, nudge, wink, wink!); or a burnt-out goods brakevan. I fear that the next 'must have' will be a 'scrapyard' locomotive!

• Funny 2

There was a whole thread dedicated to model railway cliches somewhere. All of which are available to buy on eBay.

Add to that, castles. Something that can overpower the layout or look more like a Georgian folly. I've seen a few really good ones, I mean seriously good, but like everything else, you really need to study the hows and whys. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

When they say it's bagged I presume that means a black bag ready for the dustbin?

Meanwhile, at Rails - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204150462507 £54 for a wagon kit that you can get for £22 from DJ Parkin...

• Like 2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304718362071?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304718360745?

Eh? Pretty certain that they are a class 110. Also the green one wasn't available until approx 1988/9. Mine cost my parents £38 brand new (from Toys R Us)!

I'm wrong there. It was available in the early 80's and then re released in the early nineties. Mine is a 90's version, bought at Toys R Us.

Edited by PieGuyRob
Being incorrect
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304718362071?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304718360745?

Eh? Pretty certain that they are a class 110. Also the green one wasn't available until approx 1988/9. Mine cost my parents £38 brand new (from Toys R Us)!

Mindboggling!

I suspect the inflated prices are due to Hornby announcing a rerun of the 110 in the 2022 catalogue, which has not yet emerged from China.  The 110 was used more or less exclusively on the Calder Valley line with more powerful engines than other 1st gen DMUs to cope with the steep gradients. I've two packs of the Green version bought for less than 40 quid each, only because they looked a bit different, not because I model the Calder Valley!

I don't like the grey* livery... 🤪

*Ok, it's "white" but still...

Edited by Hroth
more info
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

There was a whole thread dedicated to model railway cliches somewhere. All of which are available to buy on eBay.

Add to that, castles. Something that can overpower the layout or look more like a Georgian folly. I've seen a few really good ones, I mean seriously good, but like everything else, you really need to study the hows and whys. 

I’ve been watching the ire build over this with interest. Just to play Devil’s Advocate for a moment, the problem we have is that cliches are based originally on observations, but there are lots of model railways, hence the observations can appear a bit overdone. That’s maybe our problem, though? Unfortunately though there is in reality somewhere a bus going over a bridge, a flasher in the bushes or whatever. Similarly canals are found on the same cheap, flat land in parts of cities that attracted railway construction in the first place. Maybe the issue is in part just the sheer number of layouts that we are lucky enough to see, aided and abetted by fora such as this one?

My grandparents were colliers and canal-boat builders in the Black Country, whose name is linked to the invention of the ‘monkey boat’. Having even a spare corner of my layout in which I can honour their memory and hard lives makes me happy.

In the meantime I shall don sackcloth and dig out my party ashes as penance for my canal-themed sins….

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, 40152 said:

I’ve been watching the ire build over this with interest. Just to play Devil’s Advocate for a moment, the problem we have is that cliches are based originally on observations, but there are lots of model railways, hence the observations can appear a bit overdone. That’s maybe our problem, though? Unfortunately though there is in reality somewhere a bus going over a bridge, a flasher in the bushes or whatever. Similarly canals are found on the same cheap, flat land in parts of cities that attracted railway construction in the first place. Maybe the issue is in part just the sheer number of layouts that we are lucky enough to see, aided and abetted by fora such as this one?

My grandparents were colliers and canal-boat builders in the Black Country, whose name is linked to the invention of the ‘monkey boat’. Having even a spare corner of my layout in which I can honour their memory and hard lives makes me happy.

In the meantime I shall don sackcloth and dig out my party ashes as penance for my canal-themed sins….

Nothing wrong with modelling canals at all, simply a matter of if you're going to do it, do it justice, put as much effort in as you do with the railway, which given your reasons for including a canal, I'm sure that you are doing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Looks well made - but a bit boring operationally?

Each to their own, it would drive me daft quite quickly, probably about fifteen minutes, it depends on what you want from a layout. Some people like to set the trains going and think of long distance travel.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Canals, in the stretches between locks, are usually a lot wider than they are modelled as well, wide enough for two boats to pass without grounding on the shallow-sloped mud on each side.  At least as wide as an average 2-lane road, so while your boat might be narrower than a 70' coach, it needs at least twice the amount of width space. 

I've just measured a few points on one of our local canals, and away from locks etc it averages between 35 and 40 feet - so 140-160mm in 4mm, and wider than the adjacent double track railway formation...

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Or worse, perhaps - castles next to canals, perhaps with an aqueduct thrown in for good measure? That wouldn't happen in real life...

• Like 2

That castle would be huge in model form though wouldn't it? 

The most obvious one would be Conwy, where you have a huge Norman castle, the railway, sea and a very early suspension bridge all side by side.

Now imagine trying to model it convincingly and how much space it would actually take up?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That castle would be huge in model form though wouldn't it? 

The most obvious one would be Conwy, where you have a huge Norman castle, the railway, sea and a very early suspension bridge all side by side.

Now imagine trying to model it convincingly and how much space it would actually take up?

Not much space really, as most modellers narrow their track to save space!

Mike.

Hat, coat etc!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394365942736?

Wow. I'm pretty certain that all the bits of track don't come to that much. I like how they have created the bays for the terminus!

For that much money, I would hope to have avoided the dreaded S bends through point work! Trying to imagine the throw of the ends of coaches traversing some of those formations is making my eye twitch!

Steve S

• Funny 3

22 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

For that much money, I would hope to have avoided the dreaded S bends through point work! Trying to imagine the throw of the ends of coaches traversing some of those formations is making my eye twitch!

Steve S

I'm picturing the same thing at full speed, I think that even my old Tri-ang relics would take exception. Might be some people's ideal, but it just seems like someone figured out how much track could be crammed into a given space to me.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195526147734?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l1120&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=88ad3deba7b74529874c04ce8d398141&bu=43007734306&ut=RU&exe=0&ext=0&osub=-1~1&crd=20221221012544&segname=11021

Err, LNWR Coal Tank? I don't think so.

Another seller who doesn't know what he has got and is rather wide of the mark with the description of it's condition.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PieGuyRob said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204172912915?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204172918625?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204172919177?

3 lucky dips here. It would be nice to actually see what you get for the price.

Spend 600 quid and you can advise us!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1