EBay madness

Marcyg

Speak of the devil.

£3-5 each at shows out of the unboxed and not rare bin. You might just pay this much if bought from individual sellers and include the post, but it's far from a bargain "bundle".

All part of making model railways accessible to all of course...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115643114695?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=7njDd0E0TKO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=3qkTzGg7QRS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 18/12/2022 at 21:48, PhilJ W said:

I wonder how  much of this tat ends up on E-bay?

Don’t commercial companies have to pay to throw stuff away? Some of the carp* shown here should simply go in the bin, so Rocket Railways’ “commitment to reduce landfill” is - IMHO - simply a method to shift the landfilling action itself onto their customers … who pay for the privilege!!

Or as @PhilJ Wwonders, how much of it will appear on eBay?

* Spelt wrong to avoid RMWeb censorship!!

Edited by SteveyDee68
missing footnote!
  • Agree 4

The item that he refers to as "a random piece of red metal" is actually from a 1950s Dinky toys no.320 Halesowen harvest trailer, one of a pair of detachable hay racks and quite hard to find.

The rest just reminds me that it's too cold to go up on the roof and throw things at Deliveroo cyclists....

• Funny 10

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I wonder how  much of this tat ends up on E-bay?

Jeez, he is as naively chirpy and optimistic as Sam's Trains. The fact that he is trying to think of a use for absolutely every last bit of rubbish in the box.

I was particularly headbutting the desk when he had connected a 1.2v light up to a 12v controller and wondered why it melted  and still intends to use the LED for something or even use it as a broken light!!!!

He strikes me as the kind of person who maybe the first person ever to buy a second box from them. 

• Funny 5

I thought that he was trying to say something positive about every item. 

A little too hard perhaps.

It's probably worth him putting the "random piece of red metal" back on eBay, as for renovating the Southern Railway cattle van, it's probably much easier just to buy a complete boxed one for about a tenner...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The real mystery is why anyone would buy a "£10 box of bits" from Rocket without wondering what they would sell for only £10? It's obvious that it must be stuff that even Rocket couldn't sell with a straight face!

One must congratulate the buyer for taking one for the team!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Rarely do I comment on this thread but I have to say, what on earth is he doing ? Bad enough that he buys a pile of tat but to then go and tell all and sundry he's done it ? Beggars belief really. 

I can think of a better use for £10 ( plus postage ? )............

Rob

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

The real mystery is why anyone would buy a "£10 box of bits" from Rocket without wondering what they would sell for only £10? It's obvious that it must be stuff that even Rocket couldn't sell with a straight face!

One must congratulate the buyer for taking one for the team!

“Every crowd has a silver lining.”
-- P. T. Barnum

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Why are such things described as "Dapol like Hornby" (I know that it's to get more hits.) is it as I've been finding out - Like Hornby, this wagon has an annoying chassis you can't do much with?

Exactly that - ebay call it "misusing a brand name" - you can report it, and they will ignore it.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 18/12/2022 at 18:40, kevinlms said:

Honestly, does it matter in the slightest?

If people are foolish enough to buy overpriced crap, who really cares? Just because the seller advertises heaps of junk on eBay, doesn't mean it gets sold. Not by anyone reading this thread, I would almost guarantee.

Instead we have pages and pages referencing this rubbish.

I was meaning that particular 'antiques' dealer - very little are actually antiques. More likely made especially in a sweat shop somewhere in the 3rd world.

But never mind, I deserve the criticism for my comments. So please carry on.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Rocket Railways at it again…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115604778579

You can get one at half the price complete with buffers! 🙄

Elsewhere they list a Triang Hornby version as Hornby, £10 sold as seen … subtle difference between them (20+ years and a lack of Mazak rot, maybe?)

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Learnt how to shorten links!
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Exactly that - ebay call it "misusing a brand name" - you can report it, and they will ignore it.

In most cases totally agree but the problem is joe public genuinely associates Hornby AS train sets not like. “Reebok like Nike” for example where people have brand identities. 

I get round it and more honestly by saying “FOR Hornby as similar train sets” if selling  (for example) some buildings by Metcalfe. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I was meaning that particular 'antiques' dealer - very little are actually antiques. More likely made especially in a sweat shop somewhere in the 3rd world.

But never mind, I deserve the criticism for my comments. So please carry on.

Keep posting, most of us don’t mind and it’s at least on-topic rather than the ramblings we’ve all been doing this past many many pages!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

In most cases totally agree but the problem is joe public genuinely associates Hornby AS train sets not like. “Reebok like Nike” for example where people have brand identities. 

I get round it and more honestly by saying “FOR Hornby as similar train sets” if selling  (for example) some buildings by Metcalfe. 

Maybe although OO gauge would be suitable? It's quite well known (although getting less I supposed) that Hornby also did O gauge.

It's still pushing it really for the item description although to be fair I didn't even notice this time until it was mentioned on here!

• Like 3