EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

After hours of deliberation, sketching and research I have created this.

But is it folk art or because of the "found objects" is it steam punk?

At least the oil bottle is a genuine antique also I pinched the daylight bulb out of Miss R's desk lamp and I don't think that you can get them anymore...

IMG_20221218_153232.jpg.01a48bac6b6268e4edd358455b65d404.jpg

Give the daylight bulb back before you break it, and replace it with one of those battery powered LED lights shaped like a proper light bulb...

"Contents 1 quart".  That should confuse those benighted Millennials!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

The next question - 

It are not raining here also, Just on another point I am considering mounting this Amazing piece of work on some track ... do you know what the gauge is? 

I am glad Sam fell in love so have I wiv it

The reply...

Hey John, sorry don't know the gauge unfortunately

Question -

Can you measure it for me please

The reply ...

I'm not un the store till next week

Question - 

Ok can you measure it then,

Meanwhile I'll have a look and see if there is anything else that takes my eye...

The reply ...

Cool 

Aaah, the innocence, if only he knew!

Mike.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Aaah, the innocence, if only he knew!

Mike.

I don't know , but I'm pretty certain that it would make a lovely splash in the canal, but I'm not willing to part with six large to find out ....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

41 minutes ago, 40152 said:

Oh yes, get yourself down to That London with your creation, my lupine friend. Your fine example of what they call folk art and the rest of the world calls ‘a bit sh1t and my five year old could do better’ will sell in no time.

Sneak it into the Tate Modern you mean?

If I can come up with a suitably conflated and narcissistic back story to the piece, I could well win The Turner Prize For Bullsh**ting...

Which I will of course spend on creating further thought provoking and preconception shattering original art  motorcycles, tequila, trains and shiny things for Miss Riding Hood...

41 minutes ago, 40152 said:

Alternatively put it on Ebay and we could have a description competition? First prize a Bounty bar 😉

Quite like them, but that diced coconut gets caught in the canines and I have to walk around chewing a match like some kind of Stallone character...

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

5 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Give up with the folk art you’re diluting the market.

Exactly what happened to all those steam punk lamps.

I did buy one, because it was made using a prewar Villiers motorcycle carburettor. Dismantled it and trebled the outlay.

I call that a result.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4

37 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Give the daylight bulb back before you break it, and replace it with one of those battery powered LED lights shaped like a proper light bulb...

Nice, that's a much safer option.

37 minutes ago, Hroth said:

"Contents 1 quart".  That should confuse those benighted Millennials!

They're more likely to freak out because it's a symbol of 1950s consumption and advertises some global oil drilling monster, worse still... An American one at that!

Not only that, when found, it still had half an inch of oil in it and several drowned flies.

It's probably too contentious for the market to bear.

One of my friends was talking about making some stickers for his oily rag motorcycles that said Just Drip Oil...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's like somebody made a sandcastle using a builder's skip.

Did you say sandcastle? My photo archive is happy to oblige.

Small, supposedly superior.jpg

Further examples of arty farty stuff from the visit can be seen at http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/1058646?with=47912576

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Now, I might be a bit off-target here, but 'St Neots, Cornwall' aroused my suspicions.  Because some countries that were formerly parts of the empire upon which the sun was always setting are administered in British-style Counties and Parishes, and one of those countries is Nigeria, which enjoys a global reputation for the probity and honesty of it's commercial internet practices, especially those of scions of it's royal families and their money transferring activities.  Is it possible that St, Neots (plural, not possessive), Cornwall exists?  Some say (he says, paraphrasing Clarkson) that the River Niger is the *rsehole of Africa; perhaps St Neots is several miles up it, which would explain the bullshirt!

This is how Johnster's brain works in the tail end of the long dark Sunday teatime of the soul...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's the kind of sh1te that you are encouraged to produce in your first year of art college. Believe me, been there.

Sounds like the composition element of my own music degree! Everything weird and sh1t-sounding with a long and pretentious back story were regarded as “serious”…

Me and my best mate wrote stuff with “tunes” and got looked down at, as if we were somehow lazy because our justification for what we wrote was always “I like how it sounds”

Funnily enough, the loudest applause was always for our pieces, whereas the plinky-plonk-twang-crash-whack pieces always got a short and polite ripple (usually as the audience wondered if, indeed, the “music” had actually finished or not!)

HOURS OF FUN!!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3

3 hours ago, John Besley said:

The next question - 

It are not raining here also, Just on another point I am considering mounting this Amazing piece of work on some track ... do you know what the gauge is? 

I am glad Sam fell in love so have I wiv it

The reply...

Hey John, sorry don't know the gauge unfortunately

Question -

Can you measure it for me please

The reply ...

I'm not un the store till next week

Question - 

Ok can you measure it then,

Meanwhile I'll have a look and see if there is anything else that takes my eye...

The reply ...

Cool 

"Cool"! - I wonder if he understands what 'gauge' means?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

Anyway folks... Back to ebay madness...

It would seem the price of these has gone up since I last checked....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362635439406?

Be reasonable, you do get ten for that modest sum. Somewhere I have a box of about twenty of those, left over from the control panel I built for my 1969 layout. Look out for them on Ebay, whenever I come across them again.

Actually I think that the exorbitant price is a cunning ploy to get us to look at his website - just to see if his other prices are as whacky - which they don't seem to be. There - I was tempted to have a look.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Informative/Useful 4