EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Quick bit of research into “The House of Antiques”…

There is a website www.thehouseofantiques.co.uk which sells the kind of stuff seen on its eBay pages with exactly the kind of flowery language (plus spelling mistakes and poor grammar).

Nowhere on its website does it give an address to visit! (Bit odd, that!)

A search for it on Google Maps reveals it is, indeed, based in London (as per its eBay seller name)…

Goodmayes Ln, London IG3 9NZ

And there purports to be a photo of “Harry”, the owner of the business, on the website…

9F0D9848-D90F-44DC-8438-E3E2CF232D15.jpeg.a1d5960ac07a2ed6d9bd8001091fbe86.jpeg

Harry is on the left…

Also mentions that Harry hails from the East End of London…

Put it all together, and I have concluded that Harry is one of those antiques dealers who rummage around in old sheds and barns and offers a few quid for whatever he finds before “upcycling” (ie putting a hefty price tag) upon whatever he finds and then flogs it off to Londoners with more money than sense.

Hence the flowery language in his descriptions… it’s an extension of the barrow boy patter meant to entice customers.

Of course, I could be (probably am) totally wrong but I would never (ever) part with hard earned for any of his offerings, railway themed or otherwise!

And I agree with earlier posters that the loco in question does not look like it is a genuine antique - the proportions are just “off” in too many ways - someone with the skills to make that would have made it correctly (IMHO)

Still, it amused me to do some detective work so the “madness thread” delivered on entertainment value as always!

The "madness thread" ticks so many boxes for me! It's one of those certainties in an uncertain world! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Quick bit of research into “The House of Antiques”…

There is a website www.thehouseofantiques.co.uk which sells the kind of stuff seen on its eBay pages with exactly the kind of flowery language (plus spelling mistakes and poor grammar).

Nowhere on its website does it give an address to visit! (Bit odd, that!)

A search for it on Google Maps reveals it is, indeed, based in London (as per its eBay seller name)…

Goodmayes Ln, London IG3 9NZ

And there purports to be a photo of “Harry”, the owner of the business, on the website…

9F0D9848-D90F-44DC-8438-E3E2CF232D15.jpeg.a1d5960ac07a2ed6d9bd8001091fbe86.jpeg

Harry is on the left…

Also mentions that Harry hails from the East End of London…

Put it all together, and I have concluded that Harry is one of those antiques dealers who rummage around in old sheds and barns and offers a few quid for whatever he finds before “upcycling” (ie putting a hefty price tag) upon whatever he finds and then flogs it off to Londoners with more money than sense.

Hence the flowery language in his descriptions… it’s an extension of the barrow boy patter meant to entice customers.

Of course, I could be (probably am) totally wrong but I would never (ever) part with hard earned for any of his offerings, railway themed or otherwise!

And I agree with earlier posters that the loco in question does not look like it is a genuine antique - the proportions are just “off” in too many ways - someone with the skills to make that would have made it correctly (IMHO)

Still, it amused me to do some detective work so the “madness thread” delivered on entertainment value as always!

That’s interesting as I thought the one on the left was an item for sale as it looks very realistic 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I would just point out that Ilford is not a million miles from Peckham! 😎

If you are alluding to Del Boy & co, even that location was phoney. If you look at the locations on this map you won't find one within three or four miles of Peckham.

https://findthatlocation.com/television-show/only-fools-and-horses

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Strange that it appeared around this time, leading towards Christmas…

BAH!! HUMBUG!!

I usually say Bah! Bounty!! when my rummage in the Celebrations tub lights on one of the most despised chocolates in existence....  I prefer Heroes tubs, as the worst item in those is a Chocolate Eclair.  The toffee on a Chocolate Eclair can be reduced to edibility by leaving in a warm room for a few hours, there is no such remedy for a Bounty...

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Nah, let's step it up a gear!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334547629962

Crikey!

End of the seller’s name alludes to the aromas emanating from that general direction…

“Rare!”

“VERY RARE”

”LIMITED TO ONLY 1000s WORLDWIDE”

“VERY LIMITED”

”ONLY 1000S PRODUCED!!!!!”

1000s in the plural… not that pigging rare, pal! And the capital letters in the description plus multiple exclamation marks just makes me imagine one of those “shouty” TV adverts telling you to buy a sofa/used car NOW before they are gone!

Who, in their right mind, is going to pay close to £4K for a £200-300 trainset?

HOURS OF FUN MADNESS!

PS

I assume it is being delivered to you in person by Uber for the £500 postage fee?! 🤨

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Crikey!

End of the seller’s name alludes to the aromas emanating from that general direction…

“Rare!”

“VERY RARE”

”LIMITED TO ONLY 1000s WORLDWIDE”

“VERY LIMITED”

”ONLY 1000S PRODUCED!!!!!”

1000s in the plural… not that pigging rare, pal! And the capital letters in the description plus multiple exclamation marks just makes me imagine one of those “shouty” TV adverts telling you to buy a sofa/used car NOW before they are gone!

Who, in their right mind, is going to pay close to £4K for a £200-300 trainset?

HOURS OF FUN MADNESS!

PS

I assume it is being delivered to you in person by Uber for the £500 postage fee?! 🤨

Though nothing can beat the frankly insane double glazing adverts

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I usually say Bah! Bounty!! when my rummage in the Celebrations tub lights on one of the most despised chocolates in existence....  I prefer Heroes tubs, as the worst item in those is a Chocolate Eclair.  The toffee on a Chocolate Eclair can be reduced to edibility by leaving in a warm room for a few hours, there is no such remedy for a Bounty...

Bounty bars packaged and delivered will be well received by me!

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Though nothing can beat the frankly insane double glazing adverts

Sadly, I remember that! And I thought:

Now there's an act to follow!

Preferably down a dark alley with a motorcycle chain...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

All the more for us Connoisseurs of the Coconut. I love a Bounty, me. Mind you, I also like Marmite, model in N gauge and think monastral blue looks rather dashing on a diesel. And have very few friends as a result 🤣

Edited by 40152
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

He thinks he's got you 'on the hook'?? 😉

The next question - 

It are not raining here also, Just on another point I am considering mounting this Amazing piece of work on some track ... do you know what the gauge is? 

I am glad Sam fell in love so have I wiv it

The reply...

Hey John, sorry don't know the gauge unfortunately

Question -

Can you measure it for me please

The reply ...

I'm not un the store till next week

Question - 

Ok can you measure it then,

Meanwhile I'll have a look and see if there is anything else that takes my eye...

The reply ...

Cool 

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, John Besley said:

And arrange for an Airfix ganger to attack it with a pickaxe

I’ve not got one to hand. I’ve got a 1/87 under scale high viz attired Noch track worker with a hydraulic pile driver I can put there. I think it adds even more incredulity to be fair. 

Edited by ianmacc
More info
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

After hours of deliberation, sketching and research I have created this.

But is it folk art or because of the "found objects" is it steam punk?

At least the oil bottle is a genuine antique also I pinched the daylight bulb out of Miss R's desk lamp and I don't think that you can get them anymore...

IMG_20221218_153232.jpg.01a48bac6b6268e4edd358455b65d404.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

At least the oil bottle is a genuine antique also I pinched the daylight bulb out of Miss R's desk lamp and I don't think that you can get them anymore...

Definitely Folk Art, Mr Wolf…

Should be listed as “rare” … I mean, how many wolves manage to create folk art? Something to do with their paws and a lack of opposable thumbs? 

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I hope that doesn't get you into any trouble with the good doctor.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Oh yes, get yourself down to That London with your creation, my lupine friend. Your fine example of what they call folk art and the rest of the world calls ‘a bit sh1t and my five year old could do better’ will sell in no time.

Alternatively put it on Ebay and we could have a description competition? First prize a Bounty bar 😉

• Funny 4