EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

St Neot was a monk from tenth century Glastonbury,   

Bet you didn't know Glastonbury Festival had been going that long.

Glasto has been going ever since someone planted a thorn tree there....

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, phil_sutters said:

If I flocked my sheep I think they might appreciate the added warm coat, but they would look very over dressed. Please note that this photo was taken and captioned at a previous time and should not be taken as poking fun at the workers involved in current industrial action.

Sheep protest.jpg

I'll just herd this into view....

Baaaaaa!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'll just herd this into view....

Baaaaaa!

At least you can hear every word clearly unlike many pop and opera performances. It makes more sense than most of what Mr. Truth Social says. OOPS must get political!

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Just an aside…

Whoopee!!

1400 pages “referencing this rubbish”

And giving us all a chance to rant/laugh at the sellers in the process!

As I often say here…

HOURS OF FUN!

Sometimes something Quite Interesting turns up....

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Sometimes something Quite Interesting turns up....

if I can be allowed once more to complete this madness

My question - 

Having done a bit of digging into this there are a couple of things that still puzzle me I'd like to get cleared up before I put in an offer as it does look rather Amazing and would look good in my workshop entrance area as a disction piece. 

1. You state it was built in 1930 - is there any way to verify this date

2. 4588 only carried this particular livery after 1971

3. Was this made in Swindon ?

Be interested in your response and what would you accept as an offer?

The reply ...

This item is currently in our main sales office sat comfortably on the coffee table, its sure does create a discussion when client come to see us. FYI, the item weighs over 25 to 40kg so this item would need a courier if you need it delivered. in answering your question, please take into consideration that we are antiques dealers (please review our feedback) for peace of mind. We have been doing this job for a long time, the same as a carpenter would look at a piece of furniture and know what the items made from and roughly when it was made. The date 1930 is based upon our professional assessment however indeed I would not go further than the mid-20th century as the wear of the material, flaking of the paint which has happened naturally, and this item has not been kept outside to form its natural rusting also.  I can also tell you that the collector was based in Minety UK and used to work as a caretaker for steam museum nearby, in his early years of moving from Scotland to Swindon. We have also visited this gentleman and his family many times over the years and have obtained a few other pieces of train memorabilia from him.  Lastly, we had to pay up for this item as my buying manager Sam fell in love with it instantly, just to clarify this is a scratch built static object not movable item, it was specifically made to be displayed, that’s why it’s so unique and special. To give you some idea, our sales manager Max has refused an offer from a collector in Canada which was over £2.5k earlier this year so your offer would need to be based upon this ratio. I can empathise know when spending money of this nature (as we do it all the time) its can be reassuring to know as much as possible, however in our trade as much as the background and history is important, most of the time our items are sold on the fact of their unique decorative natural. And this is most certainly one of those objects. Either way, if you have further questions, I’m happy to help. Harry

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, John Besley said:

This item is currently in our main sales office sat comfortably on the coffee table, its sure does create a discussion when client come to see us. FYI, the item weighs over 25 to 40kg so this item would need a courier if you need it delivered. in answering your question, please take into consideration that we are antiques dealers (please review our feedback) for peace of mind. We have been doing this job for a long time, the same as a carpenter would look at a piece of furniture and know what the items made from and roughly when it was made. The date 1930 is based upon our professional assessment however indeed I would not go further than the mid-20th century as the wear of the material, flaking of the paint which has happened naturally, and this item has not been kept outside to form its natural rusting also.  I can also tell you that the collector was based in Minety UK and used to work as a caretaker for steam museum nearby, in his early years of moving from Scotland to Swindon. We have also visited this gentleman and his family many times over the years and have obtained a few other pieces of train memorabilia from him.  Lastly, we had to pay up for this item as my buying manager Sam fell in love with it instantly, just to clarify this is a scratch built static object not movable item, it was specifically made to be displayed, that’s why it’s so unique and special. To give you some idea, our sales manager Max has refused an offer from a collector in Canada which was over £2.5k earlier this year so your offer would need to be based upon this ratio. I can empathise know when spending money of this nature (as we do it all the time) its can be reassuring to know as much as possible, however in our trade as much as the background and history is important, most of the time our items are sold on the fact of their unique decorative natural. And this is most certainly one of those objects. Either way, if you have further questions, I’m happy to help. Harry

There’s some very interesting use of English language in the above…

I used to teach (for my sins) Functional Skills English to students training to be hairdressers, plumbers, electricians etc

Time and again the emphasis was upon “If your writing has grammatical or spelling mistakes, it sends out a subliminal message to your customers … if you cannot take the time or care to get that right, how good/professional will your actual work be?”

(And before anybody says “What about people with dyslexia? That attitude discriminates against them!” I should add that I also gave 1:1 support to people with dyslexia - because general perception does not change because of that fact … “They can’t spell - I’m not going to… Oh, they’ve got dyslexia? In that case, how do I know they’ve read the installation instructions correctly?!”)

In the above, they state that they use “professional assessment” - which in my mind is debunked by their general waffle, and in particular by their poor grammar.

Or, as @MrWolf would put it, I feel the need to open a window…

Steve S

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2

11 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I wonder how much I could get for this fifty-year-old piece of Zummerzet folk art - Ks tender drive with a set of wheels removed - cab plasticard - 'bonnet' balsa with card board wrapper, axle guards from an old white metal wagon, buffers probably from the same. 

S&DJR Sentinel 101 vintage 1968.JPG

Depends. Did you find it in a disused train service station in Swindon??

• Funny 4

8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

This email correspondence reminds me of Joe Lycett on 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown reporting upon somebody trying to scam him out of a fee to look at a flat for hire!*

It was hilarious because of the increasing absurdity of his messages… whereas this one is the increasing absurdity of the replies!

Maybe we should get Joe to investigate all these fake “folk art” items for sale on eBay?!

HOURS OF FUN!

* I’m sure this was the genesis of his consumer series Joe Lycett: I’ve Got Your Back!

"... the mystery of the creation is the appeal ..." Someone hit the nail on the head there! 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Quick bit of research into “The House of Antiques”…

There is a website www.thehouseofantiques.co.uk which sells the kind of stuff seen on its eBay pages with exactly the kind of flowery language (plus spelling mistakes and poor grammar).

Nowhere on its website does it give an address to visit! (Bit odd, that!)

A search for it on Google Maps reveals it is, indeed, based in London (as per its eBay seller name)…

Goodmayes Ln, London IG3 9NZ

And there purports to be a photo of “Harry”, the owner of the business, on the website…

9F0D9848-D90F-44DC-8438-E3E2CF232D15.jpeg.a1d5960ac07a2ed6d9bd8001091fbe86.jpeg

Harry is on the left…

Also mentions that Harry hails from the East End of London…

Put it all together, and I have concluded that Harry is one of those antiques dealers who rummage around in old sheds and barns and offers a few quid for whatever he finds before “upcycling” (ie putting a hefty price tag) upon whatever he finds and then flogs it off to Londoners with more money than sense.

Hence the flowery language in his descriptions… it’s an extension of the barrow boy patter meant to entice customers.

Of course, I could be (probably am) totally wrong but I would never (ever) part with hard earned for any of his offerings, railway themed or otherwise!

And I agree with earlier posters that the loco in question does not look like it is a genuine antique - the proportions are just “off” in too many ways - someone with the skills to make that would have made it correctly (IMHO)

Still, it amused me to do some detective work so the “madness thread” delivered on entertainment value as always!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4

3 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Honestly, does it matter in the slightest?

If people are foolish enough to buy overpriced crap, who really cares? Just because the seller advertises heaps of junk on eBay, doesn't mean it gets sold. Not by anyone reading this thread, I would almost guarantee.

Instead we have pages and pages referencing this rubbish.

Here endeth the ebay-madness thread? 😢

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Here endeth the ebay-madness thread? 😢

That original post did rather feel like a wrist slap and a rebuke for wasting time reporting and commenting upon “overpriced crap”, didn’t it?

Strange that it appeared around this time, leading towards Christmas…

BAH!! HUMBUG!!

🤣

Edited by SteveyDee68
Clarity
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

52 minutes ago, John Besley said:

if I can be allowed once more to complete this madness

My question - 

Having done a bit of digging into this there are a couple of things that still puzzle me I'd like to get cleared up before I put in an offer as it does look rather Amazing and would look good in my workshop entrance area as a disction piece. 

1. You state it was built in 1930 - is there any way to verify this date

2. 4588 only carried this particular livery after 1971

3. Was this made in Swindon ?

Be interested in your response and what would you accept as an offer?

The reply ...

He thinks he's got you 'on the hook'?? 😉

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

16 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Oh what fun... I must string him along some more point out some other errors in his 'modern antique'

Or has everyone had enough..?

Answers on a postcard 

This is better than The Archers! Love the cliffhanger endings!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

18 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

There is a website www.thehouseofantiques.co.uk which sells the kind of stuff seen on its eBay pages with exactly the kind of flowery language (plus spelling mistakes and poor grammar).

A search for it on Google Maps reveals it is, indeed, based in London (as per its eBay seller name)…

And there purports to be a photo of “Harry”, the owner of the business, on the website…

Harry is on the left…

Put it all together, and I have concluded that Harry is one of those antiques dealers who rummage around in old sheds and barns and offers a few quid for whatever he finds before “upcycling” (ie putting a hefty price tag) upon whatever he finds and then flogs it off to Londoners with more money than sense.

Hence the flowery language in his descriptions… it’s an extension of the barrow boy patter meant to entice customers.

Of course, I could be (probably am) totally wrong but I would never (ever) part with hard earned for any of his offerings, railway themed or otherwise!

And I agree with earlier posters that the loco in question does not look like it is a genuine antique - the proportions are just “off” in too many ways - someone with the skills to make that would have made it correctly (IMHO)

Still, it amused me to do some detective work so the “madness thread” delivered on entertainment value as always!

I love a quality Sherlock Holmes-ian post on 'ebay-madness'! Beats a Christmas ghost story anyday!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

18 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

That original post did rather feel like a wrist slap and a rebuke for wasting time reporting and commenting upon “overpriced crap”, didn’t it?

Strange that it appeared around this time, leading towards Christmas…

BAH!! HUMBUG!!

🤣

Perhaps someone got cought by SWMBO, attempting to smuggle ebay contraband into the house??

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Harry is on the left…

I would just point out that Ilford is not a million miles from Peckham! 😎

• Funny 5