EBay madness

Marcyg

2 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

"Please view all photographs. The photograph is the actual item you will be purchasing."  So all you will be getting is a photograph of the model, not the model itself?

"Superb Finish" - '... lovely plumage ...'! Apparently the seller is the Earl of Lindsay!

• Funny 3

2 hours ago, ted633 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195504861239

They really have lost the plot at Rails. You can easily get 3 complete ones off eBay (or even Hattons!) for much less than that. Would really like to see what they are thinking (or not as the case may be) attempting to sell for that price

"No wheels on my wagon, and I'm not rolling along, ..."

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Possibly English isn't their first language, which might explain some of the grandiose spiel in the eBay listings too.

They also have this, which was highlighted earlier by @Paul H Vigor

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233869013183?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=RCidPT2rTsa&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=3qkTzGg7QRS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I'd looked at it when my phone was in monochrome mode, stating that I thought it might bring a few hundred as a piece of folk art. Now I see it in colour, I'm even less convinced. The yellow underpainting, (Why? Red oxide would be more convincing for something home made) which makes me think of a primer used on structural steelwork that is to have an intumescent coating. 

Possibly made in India last year...

Whatever it is, it's not £6500.

Just another point that occurred to me today 4588 carried Express passenger livery only after preservation.. looks like some sort of attempt has also been made on this monstrosity, to claim that it is a early 20th century build is a complete trade description fraud 

I've just asked....

" I'm interested in this as 4588 was my regular engine, where was this found?"

Watch this space ...

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, John Besley said:

Just another point that occurred to me today 4588 carried Express passenger livery only after preservation.. looks like some sort of attempt has also been made on this monstrosity, to claim that it is a early 20th century build is a complete trade description fraud 

I've just asked....

" I'm interested in this as 4588 was my regular engine, where was this found?"

Watch this space ...

The reply...

Hello, it was uncovered in a private collection. One of our favourites

My next question - 

OK do you have any other information about it where was made, there must be some history with it..

Their reply...

Unfortunately only the person we uncovered it from, explained it was part of a station museum display.

Question -

Do you know what station it was?

The reply...

Unfortunately not. We aren't in the habit of making up stories to obtain a sale john. Alot of our stock is from private collects or museums. Unfortunately sometimes the history is lost as it changes from hand to hand. All I can say its the best price of folkart we have ever owned as you can see closely on our site. If you have any further questions please propose. Harry

Question - 

Thats OK, I just wondered what Station or museum it came from so I knew something about its history?

The reply..

No problem

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 3

Curious, the implication from the description is that it was discovered in a locomotive servicing depot in Swindon...

I'm going to have to open a window, despite the weather, it stinks of something in here, it's not cat, it's not chicken or pig, it must be bullsh....

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Exactly. I think the wording was ..."This item was recently uncovered in a disused train service station in Swindon" ... like they would have had a large 'not very well made model of a 45xx on a shelf, This sounds like the GWR had filling stations with fuel pumps beside the main line where you could just pop in for a tank of best H2O and a bucket of petrified black rock, 

if I was going to spend that much I could get this for half the asking price of that pile of tattyness

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304611774020?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=zrk4a_1bRYW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=mAE25Fz1QpK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

To coin a phrase 

Hours of fun

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 5

Here's the description:

"We are proud to offer one of the best examples of English early 20th Century scratch built folk art examples. Modelled on an English steam locomotive this item has been wonderfully constructed using metal sheets and other found engineering objects of sorts. With all its original paint still intact, the proportions are what makes this model so special and due to its size of 3 feet across, a complete one of a kind. The item was created as a model and does not move, the inside of the engine room is quite amazing with a coal hatch that opens and closes, control leavers and several other accessories in place. We believe the doors and windows would have originally open and closed however due to its age rust forming these functions are no longer. This item was recently uncovered in a disused train service station in Swindon.  Without doubt this is one of the best items we have had the privilege to uncover, you will never find another like it………".

I'd be more convinced if they said it had come from a shipwreck.

Most likely a container ship from Delhi...

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

5 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Exactly... if I was going to spend that much I could get this for half the asking price of that pile of tattyness

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304611774020?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=zrk4a_1bRYW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=mAE25Fz1QpK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

To coin a phrase 

Hours of fun

That's very nice indeed, although I think that he will have a better chance of a sale if he gets a fresh boiler ticket on it and puts it on eBay around March next year.

A relative of mine built a really accurate 5" gauge Great Northern Atlantic back in the seventies, when he passed on, the descendant decided to loan it to a museum. Although as with a lot of such things it went into storage. A decade later, enquiries were made and of course, nobody knows anything about it.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, John Besley said:

The last line is the best ...

you will never find another like it………

Just as well !

The sound you may hear is GJ Churchward rotating at high speed in his grave!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

38 minutes ago, John Besley said:

The reply...

Hello, it was uncovered in a private collection. One of our favourites

My next question - 

OK do you have any other information about it where was made, there must be some history with it..

Their reply...

Unfortunately only the person we uncovered it from, explained it was part of a station museum display.

Question -

Do you know what station it was?

The reply...

Unfortunately not. We aren't in the habit of making up stories to obtain a sale john. Alot of our stock is from private collects or museums. Unfortunately sometimes the history is lost as it changes from hand to hand. All I can say its the best price of folkart we have ever owned as you can see closely on our site. If you have any further questions please propose. Harry

Question - 

Thats OK, I just wondered what Station or museum it came from so I knew something about its history?

The reply..

No problem

I allways thought the provenance of an item for sale was an important aspect of antique trading and auctions?

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I allways thought the provenance of an item for sale was an important aspect of antique trading and auctions?

Perhaps they've watched too many episodes of Lovejoy?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

3 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Good point I'll ask the question 😃

Question...

"Very good, as its an antique it must have some sort of providence to justify its price..."

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3

13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The sound you may hear is GJ Churchward rotating at high speed in his grave!

Great, connect him up to an alternator and we can flog the electricity generated back to the grid. 

You may have found the solution to green energy.

Who else is dead that we can insult?

• Funny 6

13 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Margaret Thatcher. 

There was dancing in the streets of Belfast, Brixton and Glasgow when she died.

She'd be no good for driving an alternator though as "This lady is not for turning"

So she still wouldn't be doing anything for the country...

I was a working class kid who grew up in the 80s, so I wasn't exactly a fan, but I think that those who were celebrating her death thirty years after she was even relevant were a bunch of childish morons that probably get aroused watching those state parades in North Korea.

I didn't have much time for Tony Benn either, but I respected the fact that he, like Thatcher, stood by his principles no matter what. I think that we've lost the real politicians, now it's just another celebrity contest.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Question...

"Very good, as its an antique it must have some sort of providence to justify its price..."

The reply ...

It's folkart and yes the price is reflected upon what we had to pay for it to obtain it. We are happy to take respectfully bids if you wish to present one. Thanks

Question -

I thought it was made in the 1930's, it just intrigues me the story behind this art work

The reply ...

That's the beauty of folkart. Sometimes the mystery of the creation is the appeal of the object 
Harry

I might point out the misleading coments in his description as a parting shot tomorrow 

• Like 5
  • Funny 3