EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, 40152 said:

“Something” is certainly the watchword:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233724424751?

Some things are hard to unsee. And remember….there are such things…

💀

It looks like the sort of things we used to make in woodwork* at school....

* The group who couldn't be trusted to hold the right end of a chisel.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

That white paint looks surprisingly fresh. Somebody should have told them it goes bluish grey over time.

I read somewhere I think it was a modelling magazine that White paint wasn't invented until the 1960s, when ICI invented it. No idea if that's true, but if it is, then it certainly wasn't early 20th century......

Edited by TimberValleyRailway
typo
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

I read somewhere I think it was a modelling magazine that White paint wasn't invented until the 1960s, when ICI invented it. No idea if that's true, but if it is, then it certainly wasn't early 20th century......

That would be non-lead based white paint.  There was plenty of white lead based paint before that - most railway companies plastered their carriage and wagon roofs with it - which then turned dark grey in the sulphurous atmosphere.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Here's another favourite, the "Pro built". 

It doesn't say which particular pro, it must be a rarity though (hence the starting bid.) I can't think who has built it, all the pros around here are more interested in heroin than model railways...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115642726290?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=6JL2ex-0RM6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=3qkTzGg7QRS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

"Please view all photographs. The photograph is the actual item you will be purchasing."  So all you will be getting is a photograph of the model, not the model itself?

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

7 hours ago, John Besley said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234461685566?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=RCidPT2rTsa&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=mAE25Fz1QpK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Looks like it's cobbled together out of plumbing offcuts, Singer sewing machines and Mamod wheels...

Now that's a thought .... I've got numerous bits of scrap Mamod and Wilesco bits... I wonder

Just to be pedantic, should we tell him it is a stationary or portable engine, not a locomotive (or even traction) engine.  Like it does not have any driven wheels that could propel it anywhere.

Edited by eastglosmog
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, ted633 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195504861239

They really have lost the plot at Rails. You can easily get 3 complete ones off eBay (or even Hattons!) for much less than that. Would really like to see what they are thinking (or not as the case may be) attempting to sell for that price

They've probably got a Christmas "temp" in, so the usual intern can be released to packaging and dispatch where they can, knowing how Rails works, do more damage help a bit...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, ted633 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195504861239

They really have lost the plot at Rails. You can easily get 3 complete ones off eBay (or even Hattons!) for much less than that. Would really like to see what they are thinking (or not as the case may be) attempting to sell for that price

Firstly, thank you for dragging us away from the freak show.

Secondly What The Actual F...?

I'm struggling to figure out why someone removed the bogies, why Rails think that these are worth £100 and what they actually offered the previous owners, if anything, given that they were probably part of a job lot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, eastglosmog said:

Just to be pedantic, should we tell him it is a stationary or portable engine, not a locomotive (or even traction) engine.  Like it does not have any driven wheels that could propel it anywhere.

But portable engines have four wheels, even if none are driven.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be portable...

B. J. Kemp, of St Neot, Cornwall should be ashamed of himslef!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

39 minutes ago, Hroth said:

But portable engines have four wheels, even if none are driven.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be portable...

Especially as he couldn't spell the name of his home town. It's St. Neots.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Hroth said:

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Especially as he couldn't spell the name of his home town. It's St. Neots.

I'm not criticising spelling, I managed to get "himslef"* wrong!

"St Neot" was probably to get it all on the plate...

Cornwall is an odd place, its full of off-grid artisans, its even worse than Totnes, Devon. BJK might be a "herself", I should have used the correct pronoun, "theirself"...

• Like 2