EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I refer you to my comment of the eleventh of this month...

What do you expect?  It's the EBAY MADNESS!!!

The best that can be done is strict quarantine and ruthless culling...

• Agree 3

17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

What do you expect?  It's the EBAY MADNESS!!!

The best that can be done is strict quarantine and ruthless culling...

Or, though it's probably just the pipe dream of a romantic idealist, people could stop putting overpriced cr@p on eBay?

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Or, though it's probably just the pipe dream of a romantic idealist, people could stop putting overpriced cr@p on eBay?

It's NEVER going to happen! And we'll just get madder, and madder and madder! The silver lining: we have an excellent support network!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Coppercap said:

"as restored on Sam's Trains, Salvage or Scrap"

Tri-ang Hornby GWR 57xx

sold for.........

£130.99 

and it wasn't even boxed! 😂

(hardly "restored" either, just got working again...but you did get a signed thank you card!)

I saw the Youtube video earlier today! The poor thing got a wash, a remag, a relube, and a clean up/adjustment of the contacts (including the commutator and wheel treads - with a rotary wire brush!).

Strictly she is an 8750, so not quite the same as Duck (from the comments).

I bought one not so long ago for about a fiver - working (It might have been the later 2721, but that would have been worth more as a newer and better model).

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

I saw the Youtube video earlier today! The poor thing got a wash, a remag, a relube, and a clean up/adjustment of the contacts (including the commutator and wheel treads - with a rotary wire brush!).

Strictly she is an 8750, so not quite the same as Duck (from the comments).

I bought one not so long ago for about a fiver - working (It might have been the later 2721, but that would have been worth more as a newer and better model).

Sam seems to think that scouring/scoring an X04 commutator with a rotary wire brush is a Good Idea. I suppose that if the loco works for a short while for testing and when the new owner gets it, that's fine. Until the commutator slots fill up with the detritus from the shredded brushes and shorts the power supply...

Lots of blue magic smoke!

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

If a commutator is badly worn, it is acceptable to skim the segments, but it really needs to be done in a lathe and the slots between the segments carefully cleaned out. Hardly worth the bother (and often not possible with modern motors) to strip it down and skim it. Cleaning up with a rotary wire brush is the kiss of death, damaging the contact surfaces and subsequently the brushes. I wouldn't wire brush wheels any more than I'd clean track with a brick.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

58 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

If a commutator is badly worn, it is acceptable to skim the segments, but it really needs to be done in a lathe and the slots between the segments carefully cleaned out. Hardly worth the bother (and often not possible with modern motors) to strip it down and skim it. Cleaning up with a rotary wire brush is the kiss of death, damaging the contact surfaces and subsequently the brushes. I wouldn't wire brush wheels any more than I'd clean track with a brick.

"I love my briiiick!" (Father Jack)

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, 40152 said:

A day without some cheeky overpricing from these folk is like a day without sunshine:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115504620829?

I sent Rocket Railways a quick message via eBay’s messaging …

It started with a line of 🤣

And words to the effect of “You’re having a LAUGH! Good luck selling at that price - you’re gonna need it, 1% reduction or not!”

My only excuse is that it has been one of those days…

To give RR their due, they immediately responded with “Lol….. That is actually an error should be 9.99 Thanks!”

Hmmmm 🤔

Surely they meant £9.90 if the decimal point was in the wrong place?! 🤨

Wonder if they will actually update the price, or leave it there in the hopes that some uninformed unfortunate actually coughs up £89.01 more than they purport to wish to sell it for?

HOURS OF FUN!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Another one…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185692505615

Check out photo 5 …

Seller’s description “basically brand new”

Do those wheels look brand new to anyone here?!

HOURS OF FUN!*

* Has been had previously with this loco, methinks!!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Learnt how to shorten links!
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

Here's another train stripper:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225156116672?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=EzsG9aSFQEW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=3qkTzGg7QRS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

That's madness enough because you can buy a mint boxed Airfix GWR B Set coach for a tenner anywhere, but when you look through the other items you find:

Chassis £6.99

Bogies £7.99 each

Interior £7.99

Body £8.99

Build your own for just £39.95.

Or perhaps not.

It's quite amusing going through the listings and putting models back together though.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

30 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Here's another train stripper:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225156116672?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=EzsG9aSFQEW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=3qkTzGg7QRS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

That's madness enough because you can buy a mint boxed Airfix GWR B Set coach for a tenner anywhere, but when you look through the other items you find:

Chassis £6.99

Bogies £7.99 each

Interior £7.99

Body £8.99

Build your own for just £39.95.

Or perhaps not.

It's quite amusing going through the listings and putting models back together though.

'Cor, Mr! Look at the solebars on that!' 🤓

• Funny 2

42 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Interesting …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195513619910?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=icyljh-criy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=e--l92_9TXi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Check out photos 5 and 6 …

Seller’s description - “immaculate”

I beg to differ!

Steve S

Perhaps the loco prefers RC devotions?

• Funny 1

I have a 3d printer like this you can print any models. If not count the actual 3d printer cost, you can spend 3-5p. per gram to plastic model. 
My friend has one. There are lots of sites with free 3d models. There are also paid models. Or you can hire a 3d modeler to design it for you.
Think about it.

Edited by odlyprincess
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1