EBay madness

Marcyg

12 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Might a renumbered model locomotive be described as a 'ringer'?

I'm sure that we've all read the announcements in the model railway comics over the years about collections or single locos going missing from exhibitions, people's cars etc and often described as being "uniquely identifiable"? 

I've often wondered if anyone ever got their locos back, especially when I am looking at used items for sale and see a name, number or other identifying mark underneath.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

It was reported that someones pride and joy, a 7.25 inch gauge live steam locomotive had been stolen. It is unlikely to be recovered as members of the travelling community had been seen 'casing' the area just before it disappeared.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

From the guy responsible for the 'scrapyard' locos with chimney pubes: "Fantasy Nude Naked Statue Mythical Art Figurine £10.00"

I'm not sure my constitution could stand having a peek...

• Funny 3

28 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It was reported that someones pride and joy, a 7.25 inch gauge live steam locomotive had been stolen. It is unlikely to be recovered as members of the travelling community had been seen 'casing' the area just before it disappeared.

Gone the same way as numerous vintage light trucks from the 50s, 60s, 70s and a lot more woodchippers and other plant then.

Some years ago I sold a woodchipper that

I rebuilt the engine on  to a friend of mine, (who happens to be the real deal and most indignant at being called a traveller.) He was lucky, it was found in a routine search of a truck heading for a certain ferry, less than a month after he had taken possession.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

12 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

From the guy responsible for the 'scrapyard' locos with chimney pubes: "Fantasy Nude Naked Statue Mythical Art Figurine £10.00"

Don't mind if she's holding up one of those 1930s bedside lamps, but at a tenner, I seriously doubt it!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its not just the carriages that went bananas, early Jinties and diesel shunters were also moulded using cellulose acetate and go bendy too.  I've not seen bendy Princess Elizabeths, but they must have used the same material?

The form of a Black Princess, strong rigid tubular boiler and running plate strengthened by curved splashers, is pretty resistant to that sort of bananification, and the tender chassis seemed to hold those in shape as well.  There were probably stresses caused, though, as it is not uncommon to see breakage where the footplate drops at the front, an area that is notoriously fragile on the HD R1 tank as well.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

That's quite cheap for Hat's 2h.

• Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

That's quite cheap for Hat's 2h.

Don't know what has happened with them, I know times change, yadda yadda, but as a kid in the early eighties, Hatton's were my heroes. I bought my 61XX, 14XX, Dean Goods, B sets, autocoach and who knows what else from them.

All with pocket money generated from washing cars and putting together the predecessors of mountain bikes with bits off the tip.

I still buy from some of the dealers but I can't remember the last time I scanned their ads and picked up the phone.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, John Besley said:

'Mr Compound' met SWMBO's Waterloo??

Edited by Paul H Vigor
to add information
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I did see that listing but passed on....

Edited by Il Grifone
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, John Besley said:

"Looks great sat on a siding as a disused loco."

I beg to differ, Sir...

• Agree 6

28 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Just Googled "Razzle" magazine - wished I hadn't! I take your point about the clumps!

I'm sorry that you have had to go there, for what has been seen cannot be unseen. For those of you who have been married for decades, they don't look like that anymore. 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204144017264?hash=item2f87ee7f70:g:zRAAAOSwHPxjD2vx

I can claim to have actually seen one of these scrapped. She just looked tired and scruffy. This looks like it has had attention from the rear end of the animal this was named after:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203955813086?hash=item2f7cb6bade:g:2BsAAOSw6aJi2Bxu

'Mucca' is Italian for 'cow'. The story goes that one was sent for trials abroad. and was milked for expenses etc. (nothing unusual in Italy!) - hence the nick-name.

Quote:

I'm sorry that you have had to go there, for what has been seen cannot be unseen. For those of you who have been married for decades, they don't look like that anymore. 

I couldn't possibly add anything! SWMBO is around!

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'm sorry that you have had to go there, for what has been seen cannot be unseen. For those of you who have been married for decades, they don't look like that anymore. 😉

Many thanks, MrWolf. I'm saying 12 'Hail Stroudleys' as I type! For those of you who have been married for decades, they don't look like Gresley A4s with nose hair, either! 

• Funny 5