EBay madness

Marcyg

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That old sock just keeps giving doesn't it?

And as others have pointed out, that daubed on phrase shouldn't be in English!

What's with the cheerleader's pom-poms?

Looking through the seller's vast offers of overpriced tat*, I found one that might be worth a bit more than the £10 + 4.95 asked:

https://www.toymart.com/Corgi-269-Bond-Lotus-Esprit/506

It's not going to make anyone's fortune however....

To be fair to the seller, they do know that Franklin Mint stuff is near worthless!

78's at £15???   One play with a steel needle (or dropped!) and they're b****red

There was an article in the model press manyyears ago on how to convert them into excellent flat black paint (RM and G. Iliffe Stokes IIRC).

*Nothing better to do....

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

That's the result of being in bright sunlight. Back in the 80s, when we were living in Turin I bought a couple of Lima locomotives, which had similarly succumbed, cheap in Porto Palazzo market ....

>Snipped...

I'm wondering if the 'grade' of plastic used has any bearing on the heat damage to these Airfix Railway System locomotives?

I have a similar Airfix 4f, with similar damage, also acquired, from a fair, for salvageable parts.

Just a thought?

ᚱᚢᚠᚠᚾᚢᛏ × ᛏᚼᚬᚱᛋᛏᚬᚾ

🐉🙋🏼‍♀️

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Is it me, or are these 'scrapyard' offerings becoming more extreme by the day??

Rubbish collection charges must be so high, it's cheaper to sell the junk!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

What's with the cheerleader's pom-poms?

Looking through the seller's vast offers of overpriced tat*, I found one that might be worth a bit more than the £10 + 4.95 asked:

https://www.toymart.com/Corgi-269-Bond-Lotus-Esprit/506

It's not going to make anyone's fortune however....

To be fair to the seller, they do know that Franklin Mint stuff is near worthless!

78's at £15???   One play with a steel needle (or dropped!) and they're b****red

There was an article in the model press manyyears ago on how to convert them into excellent flat black paint (RM and G. Iliffe Stokes IIRC).

*Nothing better to do....

Sorry to disappoint, but the one he is selling is a Corgi Juniors version, much smaller and none of the operating features that the bigger Corgi version in the link had. Even those are only "worth" top money if mint and boxed, as Corgi made tens of thousands of both models.

The one being sold for £10 can be had in that condition for £5 at toy fairs or about £1 upwards elsewhere I'm afraid.

And £4.95 post? Anyone really believe that it's being sent 1st class? 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I don't think it's the grade of plastic, although I doubt Lima (or Airfix either come to that) would have used the best gade of polysytrene. It's just the temperature under direct Summer sun.

Midwich Cuckoos  👍👍👍👍👍

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

I don't think it's the grade of plastic, although I doubt Lima (or Airfix either come to that) would have used the best gade of polysytrene. It's just the temperature under direct Summer sun.

Midwich Cuckoos  👍👍👍👍👍

I'd have to agree with you there, I remember a friend of mine building a number of 1/35 Tamiya tanks and leaving them on the bedroom window sill, they ended up looking like they'd been zapped with a Martian death ray in one of those old flying saucer movies and they didn't use unstable plastic either.

I'm currently hacking about an old Airfix 14XX loco on my thread and have to say that as plastic goes, it's good quality stuff to work with.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Fire damaged? But 3 bidders!

They're probably after the chassis which should be OK. The Lima one probably doesn't work, because it's jammed by the bent plastic.

32 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Its not like those ghastly Triang cellulose carriages.

Also used by Graham Farish with the same results (coupled with zinc pest...). Cellulose acetate is notoriously unstable.

My father warned me about Tri-ang products warping back in 1954* when I was after some of their products. My first Tri-ang purchase was a UD milk tank, which must have been a polystyrene moulding as it didn't suffer. I was also told they wouldn't run on HD track, which is not true, though they do bounce on the pointwork. Coupling was/is also rather hit and miss though Peco solved that for us (at a price - 1/6d couplings, 2/6d 4 wheel stock, 3/6d 8 wheel IIRC - maybe 3/-  &  4/6d?).

*Or thereabouts - it was rather a long time ago.,

I do have one of those wretched LMS coaches in polystyrene! (and several bent acetate examples).

The James Bond Corgi did seem too good to be true!

Our local charity shop did have a few of the Del Prado locos, reduced to £2, as they didn't sell at £4. I couldn't resist a few US diesels as they are quite reasonable models.

Edited by Il Grifone
Bad proof reading
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Its not like those ghastly Triang cellulose carriages.

Its not just the carriages that went bananas, early Jinties and diesel shunters were also moulded using cellulose acetate and go bendy too.  I've not seen bendy Princess Elizabeths, but they must have used the same material?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its not just the carriages that went bananas, early Jinties and diesel shunters were also moulded using cellulose acetate and go bendy too.  I've not seen bendy Princess Elizabeths, but they must have used the same material?

They exist! Acetate CPR Pacific tenders is invariably arched upwards and I have a TC tank car that's a tad curvy. Early buildings and track also suffer.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

I think I'll pass on that!  £95 quid!?

Dropped on the floor, I assume?

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

24 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Not to mention all those NE brake vans and insulfish vans where the roof either curled up or crumbled like the crust on a treacle tart.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

I think I'll pass on that!  £95 quid!?

Dropped on the floor, I assume?

It reminds me of the way "damaged repairable" cars went once people had watched too many TV shows.

The price being asked for a three or four year old damaged repairable rose to almost three quarters of the price of an undamaged equivalent. Once you factored in your time and the replacement parts, it wasn't worth doing. Coincidentally, or perhaps not, there was a rise in cars being stolen for parts or simply ringed.

Can't imagine that bit happening with model trains though.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

It reminds me of the way "damaged repairable" cars went once people had watched too many TV shows.

The price being asked for a three or four year old damaged repairable rose to almost three quarters of the price of an undamaged equivalent. Once you factored in your time and the replacement parts, it wasn't worth doing. Coincidentally, or perhaps not, there was a rise in cars being stolen for parts or simply ringed.

Can't imagine that bit happening with model trains though.

Might a renumbered model locomotive be described as a 'ringer'?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1