EBay madness

Marcyg

I do know someone who has dozens of the things. The solid wood and safety glass cabinets he has them in are worth a fortune, they're not partwork tat, they're proper handmade jobs, those I wouldn't mind myself!

The contents? Car boot? Shooting practice?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It's labelled "Flying Scotsman", you can double the price.

And if it's static, why put a boxing glove coupling on the tender?

Indeed. So come on, who else on here is dreading that special Christmas moment when a well-meaning relative buys you a Flying Scotsman (insert….calendar / annual / roundy-roundy clock thing / some other old tat with FS slapped on the side) because “you like trains”?

Shudders….

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7

I'm fortunate that the few relatives who are still around that aren't convinced that I'm MIA somewhere in  Africa are clued up enough not to buy me such things. 

I did get a book on the Great Central line, with a then and now theme which was very interesting and the memsahib has bought me a couple of very nice and layout appropriate locos, so I can consider myself one lucky dog.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, 40152 said:

Indeed. So come on, who else on here is dreading that special Christmas moment when a well-meaning relative buys you a Flying Scotsman (insert….calendar / annual / roundy-roundy clock thing / some other old tat with FS slapped on the side) because “you like trains”?

Shudders….

At least it isn’t dinosaurs…

As a youngster - already interested in trains and transport - I remember receiving the big glossy picture book of dinosaurs from my grandparents (on my father’s side). Being well brought up and polite, I hid my disappointment and thanked them. Said book then sat - unopened - on my bookshelves, as I had previously lost any and all interest in all things dinosaur as soon as I realised that there was some expectation that I’d be able to recognise, name and SPELL them all… no thank you, too much like hard work for something I had a vaguely passing interest in!

Following Christmas, got a second volume to go with the first from the same grandparents. I mentioned it was similar to the one I’d received the previous year to be told that next year’s present completed the set.

Yes, my Grandad had bought a set of three and split it up to give me one each year over three years!

I never received the third volume (thank goodness) as that was the year my dad built me a OO model railway in my bedroom, on a folding down baseboard built as part of the furniture!

Instead, my Grandad presented me with a station building kit…

completed...

of a French prototype station…

In HO scale…

Went really well with my over-tall OO scale Triang Hornby locos and rolling stock!

Grandad never really understood either my dad nor myself and our interest in model trains!

HOURS OF FUN!

Oops - bit of thread drift there!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Also available in black:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403973209823

My late father was bought one as a Christmas present one year! I’ve kept it (on top of my loco cabinet) out of purely sentimental reasons.

Didn’t know it was worth so much!!

43 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Has that lump of coal had a green tax applied? Is that why it's so expensive?

£3-£5 on any car boot.

Ah - maybe not! 😆

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I still have a Morris Minor made from coal, given to me twenty odd years ago when I owned a full size example. It has stayed with me for exactly the same reasons as your coal Flying Scotsman, despite the fact I've seen several, as well as Beetles on the car boot for buttons.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

3 hours ago, 40152 said:

Seller has a pile of Del Prado overpriced tat at around £16 a pop, then invents a random surcharge on top for this nice green one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225200901960?

😶

"May have slight damage to sticker"  Either it does or it doesn't.  If he can't tell when looking at it close up, how are the punters supposed to tell from a photograph?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

"May have slight damage to sticker"  Either it does or it doesn't.  If he can't tell when looking at it close up, how are the punters supposed to tell from a photograph?

True. And at that price, who actually cares?

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure this is Grandmothers Egg Sucking territory, but the "coal" locos are resin casts with a pulverised coal filler.  They're not even any good as winter fuel...

In addition the "coal" Deltic looks a bit strange. Eyecatching features include:

• Its a bit odd around the nose, in fact it looks a bit DP2 to me...
  • The photo has a missing "buffer", which doesn't look like a "small imperfection" to me!

Very sad...

Edited by Hroth
Quick rephrasing...
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, John Besley said:

At one point it was...

27 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

And scrapped still wearing LNER livery too.

It would do for when Pegler went bust, and the Flying Moneypit was left stranded on a New York dockside. A pity the Americans didn't go and reclaim its scrap value...

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, John Besley said:

"The models replicate the condition in which a lot of the locos became in later life." FS looking REALLY REALLY rough!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

At least it isn’t dinosaurs…

As a youngster - already interested in trains and transport - I remember receiving the big glossy picture book of dinosaurs from my grandparents (on my father’s side). Being well brought up and polite, I hid my disappointment and thanked them. Said book then sat - unopened - on my bookshelves, as I had previously lost any and all interest in all things dinosaur as soon as I realised that there was some expectation that I’d be able to recognise, name and SPELL them all… no thank you, too much like hard work for something I had a vaguely passing interest in!

Following Christmas, got a second volume to go with the first from the same grandparents. I mentioned it was similar to the one I’d received the previous year to be told that next year’s present completed the set.

Yes, my Grandad had bought a set of three and split it up to give me one each year over three years!

I never received the third volume (thank goodness) as that was the year my dad built me a OO model railway in my bedroom, on a folding down baseboard built as part of the furniture!

Instead, my Grandad presented me with a station building kit…

completed...

of a French prototype station…

In HO scale…

Went really well with my over-tall OO scale Triang Hornby locos and rolling stock!

Grandad never really understood either my dad nor myself and our interest in model trains!

HOURS OF FUN!

Oops - bit of thread drift there!

My late mother once confided in me that she believed my childhood -ongoing interest in all things trains was a result of brainwashing! 😎

• Funny 4